Spinergy Rev-X wheels

cycledogg

Guest
I am thinking of using a set of these wheels for a TT bike. Are these
wheels really that good to use? I don't intend on doing a great deal
of TTs but would like to have a decent set of wheels under me when I
do. What should one look for when purchasing a set? Are the extra
lights (yellow) ok for someone weighing 175 lbs? Any comments from
experience with these wheels appreciated.
Cheers
Rick in Tennessee

I raced a set of these for three years. I was very satisfied with hem.
However, I quit using them about four years ago after reading about several
catastrophic failures where the spokes separated from the hub resulting in
serious injury. You can Google it and find more information than you'd
need. I still have them but no longer use them. I know several people
still using them however, including Larry Nolan who is a very big and
powerful guy. So if he's comfortable with them, who knows. I won't ride
them anymore.

Mark VandenBerghe

news:[email protected]...

Mark VandenBerghe wrote:
> I raced a set of these for three years. I was very satisfied with hem.
> However, I quit using them about four years ago after reading about several
> catastrophic failures where the spokes separated from the hub resulting in
> serious injury. You can Google it and find more information than you'd
> need. I still have them but no longer use them. I know several people
> still using them however, including Larry Nolan who is a very big and
> powerful guy. So if he's comfortable with them, who knows. I won't ride
> them anymore.
>
> Mark VandenBerghe

The catastrophic failures came from the era before they increased the
spoke tension. The production year is the critical determinant.
ref:
http://www.damonrinard.com/wheel/index.htm

In particular, compare the "early" and "late" model Rev/X wheels in the
data: the difference is huge:
http://www.damonrinard.com/wheel/data.htm

Dan

Typical american: firt thing americans ever ask is: what's the weight
limit on this product...
SPinergys are good wheels. Good for TTs; not the most aerodynamic, but
pretty good. A better bet would be the HED3s, however Spinergies are
better for daily riding if you are planning on training on them.

The only reason not to ride Spinergys is because they are illegal.
Seeing as you are thinking of using them for TTs, that doesn't really
matter. The fact that they are illegal now means that the price has
come down copared to say the HED3s or the Stella Azzuras. Our team
still uses Spinergys on the front for TTs depending on if it is windy
or not, (HED3 if not too windy).

I wouldn't know about your 175lbs. What's that in real numbers? (KG)
If weight is really a concern... (unless you are 175lbs of leg muscle
or incredibly tall) you could try and loose a little weight.

Despite some stories about Spinergy failure... these wheels are
suprizingly strong. You'll allways hear stories of failure from
somewhere or other...

DepartFictif said:
Typical american: firt thing americans ever ask is: what's the weight
limit on this product...
Yep cuz most american riders dont weigh a buck fifty.. some are 250 LOL
and we dont want to see these whales wollowing around on the pavement when a wheel fails.

As far as the rev-x wheels go. Ive read, have been lectured on, and have even rode them myself on a friends bike.

What Ive come up with is they take some getting use to. They do have a bizzarre feeling around curves and turns. ( that just may be because I was genuinely nervous riding on them with my VERY aggressive riding style)

I would have to conclude that the reason these wheels fail. is
1: continual stress of the road jack hammering the blades. or a sudden blunt force trauma.
2: and/or and uneven manufacturing process with poor quality control. Wheels of this nature (and price) should have the component parts x-rayed for non consistancies that could lead to stess fracturing. :eek: