Spinergy Tilium

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by suprax55, Jun 23, 2003.

1. suprax55

suprax55 New Member

Hi I was wondering if anyone had some first hand expierience or knowlegde of the Spinergy Tilium. I was looking into those our the Xaero Carbon SS, Hed alps, or Ambrosio Xcarbo. I was leaning toward Tilium but was affraid to spend so much money on a unknown wheel. Any Sugestions. I am looking for a carbon aero clincher wheel. I have ruled out the Zipp 303's because I had them and I spoke broke. I had barely had them for a month.

Tags:

2. rv

rv New Member

don't know anything about the tillium.

I have the cllincher alps, and love them. but, they're strictly rr and tt wheels...not for everyday!

3. xavier

xavier New Member

I sell Spinergy and take it from me, DO NOT buy them. Service is horrible. I been waiting for order here for a loooong time and always get the run around with fakes dates.

I love the Zipp.

Spokes will always break. Nice thing about Zipp is they use a standard spoke. Simply call Zipp or a dealer and get some replacement They are not expensive.

4. zaskar

zaskar New Member

How does the wheels perform though, the Tilium ss.

5. hwttdz

hwttdz New Member

Does the tilium ss use standard spokes, or could you use standard spokes as replacements?

6. lokstah

lokstah New Member

I've never owned them, but I was under the impression that the Tilliums were fairly sturdy and, unusual for carbon wheels, fit for everyday use.

They're a bit heavier than other carbon hoops, but they're filled with a semi-dense foam (as opposed to the usual hollow carbon dish) and apparently a smooth ride.

I think they use a proprietary spoke.

On that note, dismissing the Zipps for having busted a spoke on you isn't really fair; you can expect to break a few spokes on any wheel over its lifetime. As xavier pointed out, Zipps use standard spokes, which makes servicing them easy.

If there's a problem with Zipps, it's that tubulars are the source of their fame -- Zipp clinchers have undergone a few redesigns, and though they're apparently now much improved over the initial 2001 (02?) model, it remains to be seen if they're a wise buy.

For the price of Tilliums (about $800 USD), one should note, you can get a pair of Ksyrium SLs, Campy Eurus, Velomax Ascent IIs, Rolf Prima Vigors or Rolf Prima Elans. Among carbon wheels, what's available at that price point (really, just the Tillium) is a less obvious value than these excellent aluminum rims.

Good luck deciding.

7. Aztec

Aztec New Member

Definitely don't rule out the Zipps! Don't they use Sapim CX-Ray spokes??? Those are about as good as a spoke gets. Stuff happens and breaks now and then. To ditch the Zipps would be silly and irrational. Saaaaaaaaaaay, wait a minute... wanna sell me yours then?