spinergy wheel

mr3117

Aug 2, 2006
can anybody tell me how to tell the difference between tubular and clincher wheels. I am looking to buy a set on ebay and just want to make sure i get clinchers. thanks for the info.

clinchers use a tube tire combo, the bead of the tire rests under the lip on the rim. most bikes have that. Tubulars are basically tires that are glued or taped on the rim, there is no lip on the rim.
tubular
conti_giro.jpg

clincher
conti_grandPrix4Season.jpg

mr3117 said:
can anybody tell me how to tell the difference between tubular and clincher wheels. I am looking to buy a set on ebay and just want to make sure i get clinchers. thanks for the info.
It may often be very difficult to tell from nothing more than a photo. Email the seller if there's enough time left in the auction(s).

mr3117 said:
Clincher rims have flange that stick up to hold the tire beads. Tubular wheels don't. They are smooth along the outside circumference.