Spinergy Wheel

RyBike

Mar 14, 2004
Just wondering if anyone has used a spinergy for a front wheel on the track. Is it ok, or too flexy? I weigh about 185lb. and would be using it for sprint events.

Originally posted by RyBike
Just wondering if anyone has used a spinergy for a front wheel on the track. Is it ok, or too flexy? I weigh about 185lb. and would be using it for sprint events.

I havnt used one on track but if you are going to sprint one you are braver than I am. They are flexi (used one on road ONCE) they are also bloody dangerous IMO. Just about the worst wheel I can think of for a track sprint......just my opinion though

Originally posted by RyBike

The Spinergy Rev-X wheel, I presume you mean, is no longer approved by the UCI for massed start races.

You would have to check your local authorities whether thay deem match/derby sprint races as mass start events and whether they have adopted and police the UCI regulations in relation to wheels.

The wheel can be used in TT and pursuit events.

I have used the Rev-X since the mid 90's until they were 'not approved' (here read banned) by the UCI. There have been reported cases of catastrophic wheel failures but I have never seen or heard locally of any such failures. Spinergy produced over 100,000 of these wheels so the incidence of wheel failure maybe in line with other non radical conservative designs. Spinergy drew attention because they were totally different in concept to the run of the mill wheel designs and maybe the cause of attracting flak.

Originally posted by VeloFlash
The Spinergy Rev-X wheel, I presume you mean, is no longer approved by the UCI for massed start races.

You would have to check your local authorities whether thay deem match/derby sprint races as mass start events and whether they have adopted and police the UCI regulations in relation to wheels.

The wheel can be used in TT and pursuit events.

I have used the Rev-X since the mid 90's until they were 'not approved' (here read banned) by the UCI. There have been reported cases of catastrophic wheel failures but I have never seen or heard locally of any such failures. Spinergy produced over 100,000 of these wheels so the incidence of wheel failure maybe in line with other non radical conservative designs. Spinergy drew attention because they were totally different in concept to the run of the mill wheel designs and maybe the cause of attracting flak.

'Massed start' means road events like crits. Doesnt apply to track. They stopped me using a trispoke at one carnival. When it was later clarified it was found to be fine and a trispok/disc combo can be used anywhere, including mass starts. I have used a Rev-X (not on the track though) and have seen them run over by a truck without breaking. A lot of the 'stories' about the wheel failures are just that.....stories.

Funny how those stories get spread by their competition

Cheers

VG

Originally posted by velvet_glove
'Massed start' means road events like crits. Doesnt apply to track. They stopped me using a trispoke at one carnival. When it was later clarified it was found to be fine and a trispok/disc combo can be used anywhere, including mass starts. I have used a Rev-X (not on the track though) and have seen them run over by a truck without breaking. A lot of the 'stories' about the wheel failures are just that.....stories.

Funny how those stories get spread by their competition

Cheers

VG

Mass start does apply to some track races

I have seen one Rev-X "POP". as a tyre was being pumped the wheel just exploded. Thoerie was there was a split in the CF and air was forced in when the tyrew was being pumped. Its the Flex of the wheel I have a problem with for track sprinting though

Originally posted by Fixey
Mass start does apply to some track races

I have seen one Rev-X "POP". as a tyre was being pumped the wheel just exploded. Thoerie was there was a split in the CF and air was forced in when the tyrew was being pumped. Its the Flex of the wheel I have a problem with for track sprinting though

The words "Massed Start" appear in the UCI regulations (Article 1.3.018) relating to approved wheels -

For massed start road races only wheel designs granted prior approval by the UCI may be used

However it is not defined and therefore, in a legal joust, would rely on the dictionary definition. We had an over zealous official at the TTT start line claiming the UCI wheel rules apply to a TTT but when it was pointed out that disc wheels are not on the UCI rupture test approved list he retracted his horns.

Although the restriction applies to road races, it is wise to seek clarification before the track events. You don't want to be arguing on the start line with an official when your focus should be on the race ahead.

The use of Spinergy proprietary wheel stiffeners (plastic braces fixed between the slats) on Rev-X wheels remove the flex and stiffen the wheel.

Originally posted by VeloFlash

The use of Spinergy proprietary wheel stiffeners (plastic braces fixed between the slats) on Rev-X wheels remove the flex and stiffen the wheel.

Is that legal? thought there was an issue with adding things to a wheel that where not part of the structure (except tires of course)

I am under the opinion that spinergy wheels were banned from massed start racing (ie anything except TT and TTT, but including track sprints) before the new rules came in about 2?? yrs ago. Although wheels such as tri/four spokes and discs can still be used in regular track racing. Unfortunately spinergys are covered under a different rule and are highly unlikely to be allowed.

Originally posted by drewjc
I am under the opinion that spinergy wheels were banned from massed start racing (ie anything except TT and TTT, but including track sprints) before the new rules came in about 2?? yrs ago. Although wheels such as tri/four spokes and discs can still be used in regular track racing. Unfortunately spinergys are covered under a different rule and are highly unlikely to be allowed.

I have checked NSW Cycling Federation technical regulations and there is no specific regulation to rule out a Spinergy type wheel, road or track.

However, there is a dragnet clause -

The competitor shall ensure that his/her equipment (bicycles with accessories and other devices fitted, headgear, apparel etc) does not, by virtue of its quality, materials or design, constitute any danger to themselves or to others.

which may serve to ban any component deemed unsafe.

It is also noted that the technical regulations make no reference to the UCI ruling on approved wheels. But we know it is enforced by the Federation.

Is that legal? thought there was an issue with adding things to a wheel that where not part of the structure (except tires of course)

There is nothing in our State's technical regulations that specifically supports your thoughts.

I know at one era/stage disc wheel covers (an add on) were not allowed in TTs but this is not supported by the regulations. And time triallists use disc wheel covers.

I would not support that theory of air under pressure entering a CF cavity through a split in the rim.

Air would escape through the path of least resistance. As do all leaks in tubes on a wheel.

The cause would most probably be the increasing pressure of the tyre exceeded the wheel manufacturer's maximum safety limit.

If you are attempting to pump a track tyre up to 240 psi on a rim designed for the road where maximums are 120-140psi you could expect any rim defect caused in manufacture or misuse to be amplified.

I know on my Mavic wheels (I have two models), Mavic on their instructions, from memory, advise not to exceed 130psi.