Spinergy wheels - Should I bother with this?

cydewaze

Jun 17, 2004
I have a pair of the old Spinergy Rev-X wheels, which I've obviously had for quite some time, as they've been out of production for something like 5-6 years. I don't ride them much because I live in a windy area, but I do ride them occasionally. I also inspect them occasionally, and I've noticed some suspicious looking spots near the spoke rivets. I figured it was time to retire them, but then read a thread on here about someone who got a trade-in deal on his Spinergy wheels.

So, I emailed Spinergy and asked them about my wheels. They offered me 40% off retail a new set of either xaeros or Stealths, plus shipping. The price they quoted me for the xaeros was $349 + shipping (I assume the stealths would be more) which seems like a good deal, although I wasn't planning anymore bike purchases this season.

I'm wondering if I should bother doing this and having a new set of wheels, or if this price is not a huge deal (I don't know what shops are selling these wheels for right now). Anyone have any advice?

cydewaze said:
I have a pair of the old Spinergy Rev-X wheels, which I've obviously had for quite some time, as they've been out of production for something like 5-6 years. I don't ride them much because I live in a windy area, but I do ride them occasionally. I also inspect them occasionally, and I've noticed some suspicious looking spots near the spoke rivets. I figured it was time to retire them, but then read a thread on here about someone who got a trade-in deal on his Spinergy wheels.

So, I emailed Spinergy and asked them about my wheels. They offered me 40% off retail a new set of either xaeros or Stealths, plus shipping. The price they quoted me for the xaeros was $349 + shipping (I assume the stealths would be more) which seems like a good deal, although I wasn't planning anymore bike purchases this season.

I'm wondering if I should bother doing this and having a new set of wheels, or if this price is not a huge deal (I don't know what shops are selling these wheels for right now). Anyone have any advice?
Check ebay for what they are selling for.I have never been a fan of Spinergys of any kind.

It surprises me Spinergy offered you this deal, they're known to have the worst Customer service, at least in Europe.

fixit said:
It surprises me Spinergy offered you this deal, they're known to have the worst Customer service, at least in Europe.
It's been on the table for some time and relatively well know about.

Be aware of Rev-X's aging problem and high speed wheel collapse. They are simply not safe once visible damage is noted. And they might not show signs of delamination and collapse.

Weisse Luft said:
Be aware of Rev-X's aging problem and high speed wheel collapse. They are simply not safe once visible damage is noted. And they might not show signs of delamination and collapse.
Yes, I've already decided that they will be retired. The question is, should I bother picking up the xareos for the discount?

cydewaze said:
Yes, I've already decided that they will be retired. The question is, should I bother picking up the xareos for the discount?

i have some xaeros- i think they are named inappropriately.
they have a nice ride-very smooth and i think they dampen out road vibration.
they are also very stiff, but i don't think they're very aero despite the low spoke count. that's because of the very thick spokes, which probably are much worse aerodynamically than having more but skinnier spokes. i also found the seals on the bearings to have a lot of drag, so i removed the inner facing seals.

anerobic said:
i have some xaeros- i think they are named inappropriately.
they have a nice ride-very smooth and i think they dampen out road vibration.
they are also very stiff, but i don't think they're very aero despite the low spoke count. that's because of the very thick spokes, which probably are much worse aerodynamically than having more but skinnier spokes. i also found the seals on the bearings to have a lot of drag, so i removed the inner facing seals.
Thanks anerobic, that's good info. I wonder if the xaeros are worth $350-ish. I'm assuming the Stealth's would be more expensive.