Spinergy X-Areo wheelset

G

Spinergy Xaero Wheel Set = Where can I find more info about this wheels, Price , quality and if its a good buy- Seeing that SA can't play cricket, I will try and spend more time in the sadedle.

Click here to goto the Spinergy website.
Don't know much about them myself, but I've never heard anyone say anything bad about them! Would'nt mind a pair myself.
Hope you have a fat bank balance though!

Pothole, before you rush out to get yourself a pair of X-Revs, you may want to check out the following site:
http://home.interlynx.net/~pjdu/
about some not-so-nice experiences with Spinergy wheels.

Thanks, read the article and it looks as if is the 4 Bladed rim that caurse all the trouble. I'm looking at the one with the 18front & 24 back spokes. The weight of the wheel set is only 1540gr. But now I saw the SRX (sr-3) and after the damn article, I may stick to the mavic sub's. What do you think?

I doubt they'll give you much trouble, much better than the old type imo

I looked around in the shops and saw this complete wheelset "Made in australia", seeled hups front and back. I think they are called Xaero, (not a spinergy). Anyone knows something about it?

Sorry, to post again, but what was very distinct is the spokes. It's the fin, flat and very stiff spokes (Black). The spokes look like the Campag Nuclean spoke.

Unless there is another xaero brand around it is a Spinergy product. The Spinergy XAERO wheelset is a 'traditional' style wheel with hub, spokes and aluminium rim. The 'nifty' part is the spoke set - they're carbon fiber (PBO is the trade name).

Call me paranoid but I like aluminium hubs, steel spokes and aluminium rims. Aluminium might heavier than carbon but if you hit a pothole it bends (carbon fractures). I recently bought a carbon/carbon fork and still feel a bit iffy when I accelerate hard.

Having said that the Ksyrium is a tasty wheelset...

Thanks, but cant affort the Ksyruim, but what I found out from the shop is that this wheels is called "Formula XR1" but on the rim itself the decals reads XERO ...7 (Made in Australia)

After a lot of mental preperation and wondering and wondering....if I must spend the money, I went out and found the wheels. It's a set of Formula1 Xero Lite rims, Semi deep sections with flat spokes. Looks cool and hope its worth it. I'm giving it a run tommorow in the Tomcat 99 (114km race). Good Luck for the weekend and make it a great one.

pothole,

Have you got any pics/web sites for the wheels? You got me curious too.....

Eldron - Cant find it on the web, and no pic's.sorry. You'll get it for about R3,500. Maybe it is all in the mind, but I had a great race on saturday. We did the Tomcat99 (114km) and the first +-15 guys in out group caught up with 4 of the front groups. That gave us a time+ of about 7min on them. So we went with this big bunch till someone in the front of me allowed a gap on a steep hill. So about 30+ riders went away. We were in the G group and 5 of the guys get away on that break. They end up doing a faster time that what the A- bunch did. Impressive. Now, what that got to do with the wheels.? From the start I was in front of my group and it felt the hole time that the bike rolls so easy. My legs never hurt and when pushing the pace, I can feel that bike respond immediatly. The only thing I notice was at one corner, its like the back wheel "shiver", but it could be because of the flat spokes. I must admit, I never rode this type of rims and are not sure that they make the diff or it was just a good day in the saddle, but I hope I can have the same day on Argus day.

Formula makes high-end road and mountain hubs for at least 7 major US bike companies. Surprised? You shouldn’t be – you could even be riding Formula hubs and not know it! The fact is, Formula hubs now rival even the highest quality aftermarket hubs – and Formula has, at last, applied what they’ve learned to their own products for the launch of their all-new Xero line of road wheels! You’ll get the same race-worthy technology, without having to pay a premium for someone else’s logo!

The at the heart of these wheels are all-new formula road hubs with new 90º tangential split-flange technology, allowing radical 16-spoke high-tension lacing. Polished to a jewel-like finish, these gems look great, and spin smooth on sealed cartridge bearings – two up front, and 4 in the rear hub. And the best part – these pro-class wheels are just a fraction of the cost of all the other aftermarket wheels! Shimano-compatible freehub ratchets on a reliable 3-pawl mechanism for fast engagement!

Awesome stiffness, strength, and aerodynamics – Xero hubs laced to lightweight machined 700c clincher rims for ultralight performance. Great race-day wheels for distance or hill events! Includes skewers.

Specifications
Manufacturer: Formula
Model: Xero XR-2 Road Wheelset
Type: Road
Color: Black
Hub: Formula
Rim: Velocity Machined 700c
Speed: 8/9-spd
Drilling: 16 Hole
Spokes: Stainless Black
Nipples: Brass
Weight: 744gm/948gm

xero-x2.jpg

xero-hub.jpg

I looked around in the shops and saw this complete wheelset "Made in australia", seeled hups front and back. I think they are called Xaero, (not a spinergy). Anyone knows something about it?

Pothole, at which bike shop did you get these wheels (if I may ask)?

pothole, I had the same feeling the first time I rode my Rolf Vector Pro's. I'm sure it's 50/50 mental/physical. Are they going to become everyday wheels or are you just going to use them for races? Congrats on the good race!

Vo2 - thanks for the info. They look like awesome value for money. Here's a weird bit of news....you can pick up a Ksyrium SSC SL wheelset in the UK for £330. Makes you wonder who's ripping you off in SA (saw them advertised for around R10,000).

Hi guys. You get two models : Top of the range is the Xero Light with flat spokes = Cost you R3,300 today at Kroft Cycles in Paarl (South africa) 021 - 872 7773 and then you get the XERO @ R2 600

Pothole, at which bike shop did you get these wheels (if I may ask)?

Bought at Flandria in Stellenbosch but Hein Kroft in Paarl sell the Formula XR1 for R3300. Note that the picture is the XR2 (lower range) and not flat spokes. I also heard that Giant is backing this rim.

Formula makes high-end road and mountain hubs for at least 7 major US bike companies. Surprised? You shouldn’t be – you could even be riding Formula hubs and not know it! The fact is, Formula hubs now rival even the highest quality aftermarket hubs – and Formula has, at last, applied what they’ve learned to their own products for the launch of their all-new Xero line of road wheels! You’ll get the same race-worthy technology, without having to pay a premium for someone else’s logo!

The at the heart of these wheels are all-new formula road hubs with new 90º tangential split-flange technology, allowing radical 16-spoke high-tension lacing. Polished to a jewel-like finish, these gems look great, and spin smooth on sealed cartridge bearings – two up front, and 4 in the rear hub. And the best part – these pro-class wheels are just a fraction of the cost of all the other aftermarket wheels! Shimano-compatible freehub ratchets on a reliable 3-pawl mechanism for fast engagement!

Awesome stiffness, strength, and aerodynamics – Xero hubs laced to lightweight machined 700c clincher rims for ultralight performance. Great race-day wheels for distance or hill events! Includes skewers.

Specifications
Manufacturer:  Formula
Model:  Xero XR-2 Road Wheelset
Type:  Road
Color:  Black  
Hub:  Formula  
Rim:  Velocity Machined 700c  
Speed:  8/9-spd  
Drilling:  16 Hole  
Spokes:  Stainless Black  
Nipples:  Brass  
Weight:  744gm/948gm

xero-x2.jpg

xero-hub.jpg

Vo2 - I try to find their website, but without success. Where did you get the pic's from and try and post the "xero light's" picture. looks a bit diff. The rim is a bit deeper.