Spinning bike vs. bike on trainer

rudycyclist

Mar 14, 2006
Does anyone here use a spinning bike at home to train on instead of using your bike on a cycleops or whatever? I've started spinning this winter and thought it would be really nice to get one in my home. Any thoughts?

I used to spin a ton during the winter and it is great exercise at the gym and a fun social aspect in a room with other folks and cool music. But, in terms of mimicing a true road bike I'll take my beater bike mounted in my trainer at home any day. Also, a spinning dedicated bike ain't gonna be cheap whereas an entry level mag trainer can be had for about 75 bucks.

rudycyclist said:
Does anyone here use a spinning bike at home to train on instead of using your bike on a cycleops or whatever? I've started spinning this winter and thought it would be really nice to get one in my home. Any thoughts?

I agree completely with Capwater. However, if you have others in the house (wife, teenage kids, etc..) that might also use the spinning bike, that would enhance the value.

John M said:
I agree completely with Capwater. However, if you have others in the house (wife, teenage kids, etc..) that might also use the spinning bike, that would enhance the value.
My wife and I used to share a trainer. That way, we each used our own bike, which fit us. It got to the point during the winter, though, that we both wanted to use the trainer at the same time. I ended up getting my own trainer last Christmas. Even two trainers cost less than one spinnig bike.

rudycyclist said:
I had a spinner 2 winters ago and liked the fact that I wasn't wearing out my drivetrain and tires. There was a nice solid feel to it particularly out of the saddle. However with the one I had I couldn't change the saddle. I've also heard rumors that trainers can be bad for the frame because of the torque applied. Not sure if that is heresay or fact. It is nice however to have a trainer to use for warming up prior to races.

JS

Here, in Tucson, riding indoors is heresy. Unthinkable. So wrong. It's so much better so see scenery go by, as you pedal. :rolleyes:

If you're a competitive cyclist you need to ensure that what ever bike you train on is as close as possible to exactly the same as the bike you race on. However if you don't race then it really doesn't matter, it will boil down to personal preference.

"I've also heard rumors that trainers can be bad for the frame because of the torque applied."

Argggghhhh, more x-file conspiracy theories!!!

You can get a "beater bike" and a trainer for less than $500 (even way cheaper if you get a thrift store 10 speed).

This will run you over $1000:
http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/usfitnessproducts_1885_663655

The advantage of the beater option is that not only do you ride something more like a real bike, but you have a backup for bad weather and guests (assuming a close fit).

Personally I ride out of doors as much as possible. Even in doors I want to mimic a real bike in prep for racing season. Guess where I live (VA) we can pretty much ride outside all year round with the proper gear. I use the inside option more during the week in Dec/Jan when it gets dark earlier.

I ride my two wheeled bike to the health club and then ride the spin bikes there.

1. Trainers can be hard on your frame and tires, especially if you sweat a lot or rock as you pedal.

2. Training at home is more hassle because the thing takes up so much room (at least while you're using it).

3. Spin classes at the club are more interesting because of the leader's banter - maybe not realistic, but still fun.

I have an old trainer and an old bike at home but it doesn't get used much.

capwater said:
"I've also heard rumors that trainers can be bad for the frame because of the torque applied."

Argggghhhh, more x-file conspiracy theories!!!
not trying to be a rumor monger but I've heard this many times from different sources so I suspect there maybe at least some truth to it. if you have evidence to suggest otherwise please share

jrstevens said:
not trying to be a rumor monger but I've heard this many times from different sources so I suspect there maybe at least some truth to it. if you have evidence to suggest otherwise please share

OK, show me someone who has broken a frame while on a trainer .......

The stress people try to associate with trainers would come from hammering in a sprint, twisting side to side .... an action you probably won't be doing on a trainer. Sure, you'll burn through tires but your frame should be fine unless you really abuse it.

I use a beater bike in the trainer not for frame worries, just because I don't want to be swapping bike around when the weather is good enough to be outside.

capwater said:

The stress people try to associate with trainers would come from hammering in a sprint, twisting side to side .... an action you probably won't be doing on a trainer. Sure, you'll burn through tires but your frame should be fine unless you really abuse it.

I use a beater bike in the trainer not for frame worries, just because I don't want to be swapping bike around when the weather is good enough to be outside.
Sorry I can't show that but perhaps there is some damage occuring at a smaller level...

Personally I now have a trainer but typically use it for recovery days when the weather is bad or short zone 2 workouts so I'm not bashing them. I am careful to not do any high force work or mimicking of sprinting

capwater said:

I agree. Since the trainer clamps to the rear axel, I do not see how one could exert any more torque on the frame than what would be exerted in a hard ride. If one twisted hard enough, one might be able to flip the bike and trainer over, although I have never done that, and I weighed 262 pounds when I started using the trainer and ride out of the saddle for a minute every 10 minutes or so. I would think that most people would put much less torque on the frame on the trainer than they do on the road.

alienator said:
Here, in Tucson, riding indoors is heresy. Unthinkable. So wrong. It's so much better so see scenery go by, as you pedal. :rolleyes:
Well, here in Wisconsin we can't ride outdoors during november thru February because it's ummm 0 degrees.

Late day at work and it's raining so I hopped on the trainer tonight for 25 miles. I spent the majority of the time analyzing any possible aded stress a trainer would put on. Simply ain't there. I agree, you'd have to be at the point of nearly flipping the trainer over to even approach any possible damage and that maneuver simply wouldn't be conducive to proper training. Anything can break if abused or improperly used.

Stop worrying about your frame in a trainer. Get on your bike and ride!

There can be some stress placed on a frame when using one of the OLD trainers that attach to the under side of the bottom bracket. However I agree with Capwater. The stress would only be excessive when trying to sprint on the trainer or do Big Gear intervals of some sort. This can only occur on the older style trainers I mentioned above and would happen because the stresses are being placed from the opposite direction to that which the tubing and joins were designed. Personally I use nothing but custom built steel and have never had a problem in 36 years of racing. I use (reluctantly) one of those old style trainers. I say reluctantly because its harder work than riding on the road (fixed fans on the trainer) and I'm a lazy **** trackie.

Agreed - most of the "trainers are hard on your frame" stories are from the fork n bottom braket mount type that used to be popular. I have seen forks that broke in those things, I think they all happened during mounting or dismounting from the bike.

But bikes in any kind of trainer will see a lot more sweat dripping in places like the headset so that's a minus.

rudycyclist said:

I tried spin in the past - it was ok. I bought a Computrainer ( Racermate) Fall 2005. I love it. We have three bikes in the basement for my kids, wife and myself. Everyone uses it. It simulates any type of road riding you want.

Regarding tire wear, Continental makes a tire for indoor training exclusively. We have used it on two bikes all winter and no signs of wear.

Regarding issue on the frame, I think there is less stress on the bike while used indoors. Think about it. No road irregularities or bumps, etc. I have done out of the saddle climbs and sprints and there is no difference I could observe.

Just my 2 cents.