Spinning bike vs. bike on trainer

DiabloScott said:
But bikes in any kind of trainer will see a lot more sweat dripping in places like the headset so that's a minus.

We use two fans and I wear a Do-Rag. Not one drop of sweat hits the floor or the frame even with very significant work out with lots of watt output.

vascdoc said:
We use two fans and I wear a Do-Rag. Not one drop of sweat hits the floor or the frame even with very significant work out with lots of watt output.
I agree. With a fan in front of me and wearing a wicking cap and jersey, the only sweat that gets on the bike is from my hands on the bar. For some reason, I just cannot get myself to wear gloves or a helmet when I am on the trainer. If I wore the gloves, there would be no sweat on the bike at all.

rudycyclist said:
Does anyone here use a spinning bike at home to train on instead of using your bike on a cycleops or whatever? I've started spinning this winter and thought it would be really nice to get one in my home. Any thoughts?
At the risk of bieng a smart-a$%, my answer is, whatever get's you to ride more. I live in Massachusetts and I ride all year outdoors. In the winter, I can only ride outdoors on the weekend due to short daylight and long work hours. One think I like about using my winter bike on the trainer, is it keeps the drivetrain fresh. By riding my winter bike on the trainer during the week, the chain doesn't have time to gather rust, and most of the road grit works it's way off the drivetrain while spiining on the trainer. I could certainly see the convenience factor of a spinning bike, but my $99 mag trainer works just fine. Plus I run my HR monitor, cadence sensor and an old wired computer on the rear wheel to help me gauge my workouts. A secret of mine is to watch tapes of bike races and try to mimic the pros. Plus I can listen top Phil Ligget for hours and never get tired of it.

PeterF said:
I live in Massachusetts and I ride all year outdoors.

Dude, where in MA? Wife is from Foxboro area (yeah, bumming over Vinatieri....). Congrats for riding all year round up there. I've frozen my butt off riding that area during summer vacations!

capwater said:
Dude, where in MA? Wife is from Foxboro area (yeah, bumming over Vinatieri....). Congrats for riding all year round up there. I've frozen my butt off riding that area during summer vacations!
Norwell, Hingham, Cohasset, Scituite area. We didn't get wacked with too much snow near the coast, so the roads have been in good conditon. It is still cold, but with the somewhat prevailing Northwest wind that seems to accompany me most days, the stretch along the Cohasset coast is usually with a nice tail wind. I just started riding mornings before work, It has been in the high 20's when I start, but mid 30's when I finsh. It's not ideal, but I'm growing tired of the trainer. Come down to Norwell next time your in the area for a nice group ride followed by a hot cup of coffee. We're always glad to see a new face (and someone to take a few pulls...).