Spinning Bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by kvl1027, Jul 26, 2005.

1. kvl1027

kvl1027 New Member

Hello, it will probably be very difficult to answer this question, but i will ask anyways just in case some mght have a pretty good idea. They have a spinnng class at my gym, that I am thinking about taking advantage of, seein g how I live in Florida, where, everytime i want to ride it is raining outside.
    Some of the spinning bikes at my gym have clipless pedals, and i was looking at them to see if my shoes/cleats would be compatable. It looks like they have a SPD on one side and them some type of look brand pedal on the other. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of look pedal this might be, maybe there is a standard for spinning bikes that I dont know about. If not are most of the look cleats compatable with most of the look pedals. I use Shimano SPD-SL on my road bike, ao i was thinking about getting some look cleats to switch out, when i go to the gym. Any suggestions?

Tags:

2. Smartt/RST

Smartt/RST New Member

I can't say that I know anything about the pedals on spin bikes, but I don't recommend changing out your cleats every time you go to the gym or ride outside - assuming it would happen fairly often. Your cleats should be properly aligned and left in that position to be sure you don't cause any injury to your legs, namely the knees. Futhermore, constantly removing and mounting cleats *may* cause the shoes to prematurely strip out; I only say that because over tightening cleats is never a good idea, so one could see how this scenario could be a problem.
    I would recommend buying some inexpensive or moderately priced shoes that you can commit to your gym workouts; and be sure that they match up well with the cleat position of your current shoes.

3. matteobma

matteobma New Member

Hello kvl1027,
    there are (only) 2 types of look cleats: the red ones with a free arc (9 degree rotation adjust) and the black ones without free arc (no rotation adjust). these cleats are the same for all type of look pedals.

I know that some indoor bikes (like Schwi.. bike), use double face pedals; one side is spd, the other side is look, and there is also an adapter for normal training shoes.

I'm agree with Smartt post, do not switch your cleats, ...if you buy a new pair of unexpensive shoes, choose a spd cleat (like mountain bike) with flexible sole, are more confortable for indoor use; and don't forget, take your time for positioning spd in the "right manner".

Ciao Matteo :)

4. Induray

Induray New Member

kvl1027. If you decide to purchase a pair of shoes for indoor spinning, I suggest to look for a mountain bike shoe and SPD's. MB shoesand SPD are easier to walk on than Look cleats, and generally more Spinning bikes are fitted with SPD pedals than Look. Performance and Nashbar always have sales of MTB shoes. You can get a pair for less than $50.
    You can also ride in the rain, you know....get a beater bike, add some good training tires and go for it.:D