spinning bike ?

gigemaggs99

Jul 6, 2003
If I want to ride early in the morning or when it is pouring rain would ya'll suggest I look at buying a trainer for my current bike, or should I look at buying a spinning bike? I've heard that a trainer can be hard on your road bike's frame. Is this correct? Thanks for any suggestions/ideas.

Gus

It seems that most people on this forum disagree with using a spinner bike, but I bought one a few years ago and have been happy with it. Using a trainer won't damage a good frame, but what I like is that the spinner sits there ready to be used. I don't have to go get my bike and put it in there. I know it doesn't seem like much, but if I already have to ride inside, I want to just get on and go. If you get a nice spinner, you can get it set up really close to your current bike. I still do Spinervals at times with it, and have no problems. It is a little more secure feeling than a bike in a trainer for big sprints, etc. also.

I cannot see how a trainer would hurt a frame. I have always used my trainer without any issue.

Anyway, a trainer is less than $200. A good spinner can cost the price of a new bike, so heck if you're upset about damage to your real bike, just buy a low end bike to go on the trainer!

Please also consider rollers. THey will have a more natural feel than a trainer or a spinner. The only wear of them (and trainers) is that they can increase wear on the rear tire, though I always use my typical road tire on the trainer anyway.

My Kurt Kinetic Road Machine has been easier on my tires than actually riding on the road not much wear and no flats or cut tires. It has good road feel with less inertia than a spin bike but more inertia than other fluids it also has a fairly accurate speed to power relationship. The KK Pro probably has comparable inertia with the 18lbs flywheel but I haven't tried one yet. Unless you get the Cycleops PT300 spin bike you won't get any power measurements which I have found very useful for SST training and fine tuning HR targets for outdoor Tempo rides.