spinning bikes- recommendations?

consciouspilot

Jun 5, 2004
With the spring here and lots of outdoor riding in progress, I am thinking about picking up a spinning bike for this winter (dreadful new england winter), thinking that maybe there would be some bargains out there in the 'off season' for spinning. I have a few questions, and would appreciate any guidance from those in the know.
Currently I have a Lifecycle 9500 (pretty common in gyms), that is an older model with the usual hill/random/manual settings. It uses the magnet for resistance. I used it quite a bit last winter (about 100 miles a week), and found that it did help me feel pretty in shape for this years riding, with one exception. My weakness this season is that out of the saddle, I have no stamina, and am winded very quickly. Towards the end of the winter I pretty much was using level 12 (the highest) on any of the programs, usually with a workout of one hour. The biggest problem with this exercise bike is that it really is not made for getting up out of the saddle. Just not sturdy enough.I got interested in the spinner when I briefly tried one out at a bike shop and really had the heart rate up in just a few minutes, it seemed very solid and I liked the feel of it quite a bit.
Now for the questions:
1. Any recommendations on the make or model? I've read about the Lemond Revmaster and have tried a Schwinn model that seemed pretty solid.
2. Can you change out the pedals/seat on these spinners?
3. Are the spinerval dvd's as scary as they sound?
4. Can you use a cadence/wattage/odometer on the spinners or do they come with any of these functions?

Any suggestions or information on the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

That doesn't sound like a spinning bike. Sounds like one of those junky bikes with the giant seats.

My wife and I share a LeMond Revmaster (at least that's what I think it's called -- it's yellow, and in an X shape). Excellent. Heavy, stable, super-smooth. It was just under $700 on eBay, delivered. Soooooooo much better than a road bike on a trainer, although that has utility, too, at times.

And yes, the pedals and saddle do indeed swap out. We have Looks on there so I can cool down after road rides on it. Works great.

Thanks for the response. Just to clarify, the exercise bike I currently have is not a spinning bike, and yes, it has one of those big ugly seats. It has been useful to a point, but I'm just wondering if I'll get a whole bunch more bang for my buck on a spinning bike.

I have the Giant Tempo Spinbike and it is worth every penny spent! I guess its just like the Lemond Revmaster, wherein you can dial almost anything to duplicate the feel in your road bike - fore-aft, height seat position; replace pedals with your road bike pedals. The only thing that this doesnt have is a computer that can track your cadence. But no problem, since I use a Cateye Astrale with cadence on my road bike, I bought an extra cadence-and-speed sensor kit and install it on the spin bike, therefore I can track my track my cadence while spinning.

Workout-wise, it gives me good quality workouts and if you really want to practice your 'out-of-saddle' workouts, this is the thing to have!!!!

Good luck!

Originally posted by consciouspilot
...but I'm just wondering if I'll get a whole bunch more bang for my buck on a spinning bike.

Absolutely. You can replicate your road position. Even the aero position if you tack on aero bars!

Consciouspilot,

I argue that StarTrac and Reebok's V-Bike make the best spinbikes (Lemond modeled his after these). Both these models and Lemond's are thinner than the first genertion of "Johnny G" spin bikes. The geometry is closer to a road bike and the feel of the handlebars and crank make you think you are on your bike. Your clips can be added, saddle and other equipment.

Call up your local gym, ask if they have spin bikes and see if they are selling any. If not, ask who their distributor is, contact them and inquire if they have any "reconditioned" bikes for sale.

This is a cost effective way some of my teamates have gotten there hands on one.

Good luck,

CatSpin

i found this thread with a google search after my wife informed me that she wanted a spinning bike to replace our 20 year old schwinn XR7 stationary cycle. i've done spinning classes, but had never seen or heard of another brand of bike besides schwinn.

it turned out that a local dealer had a lemond revmaster in stock, along with a schwinn (SR model i think). while i think the schwinn bikes are very nice, imo the revmaster is state of the art. it is much quieter, the design is slick, and overall it has the feel of a really quality piece of equipment. we bought the revmaster and are very pleased with it.