Spinning classes

mmb

May 19, 2005
Hi,
My wife doesn't own a road bike and has never cycled, but has been participating in intense Spinning classes at the YMCA. She is wondering how much value or similarity (if any) there is between spinning versus the real thing. She is a good aerobic runner and wonders if she buys a road bike will she notice that she already is conditioned from the spinning classes.
Anybody comments or experience are welcome.
Thanks.

mmb said:
Hi,
My wife doesn't own a road bike and has never cycled, but has been participating in intense Spinning classes at the YMCA. She is wondering how much value or similarity (if any) there is between spinning versus the real thing. She is a good aerobic runner and wonders if she buys a road bike will she notice that she already is conditioned from the spinning classes.
Thanks.

Given that I've never taken a spinning class, what follows is pure supposition:

I would say that first she'd experience a significant drop in RPM. I don't know exactly how the resistance on spinning bikes is generated, but I can bet that it doesn't come close to the vagaries of real life biking. Without having gear shifting skills, she'll find herself frustrated trying to keep cadence.

i ride about 200-300km/ week on my road bike and the odd rpm class when time keeps me off the road. because of the length of the rpm classes (45 minutes), it is quite different to riding on the road. i do notice, however, that if i do a lot of road miles and then do a rpm class, the class is a lot easier. because the position is basically the same on both bikes, and the muscles used are obviously the same, classes should be good preparation for the real thing... watch out for hills, though.

our local core group has a woman, the wife of a friend, who has tought spinning classes. upon her riding with us, she garnered knowing nods and comment from the on vet rider i spoke to about her riding. she can put some hurt on tha boys, so to speak.

spinning is not entirely cycling specific, though. i feel the varieties of resistance dynamics offered on the road are far greater than any simulation thereof.
this being said, spinning done with delibrate intent could concievably produce a rider as fit or dare i say it, fitter than the road in some instances perhaps.

among what it will not duplicate will include bike handling, this will only become innate with real miles.
also speedplay scenarios, getting sat on 'n beat up and the like. hard to get a handle on strategy and tactics while stationary.
and endurance for the long ones, it is doubtful this system will become trained to the extent of 3-4 hr road rides.
also all we hold dear as hard won road specific skills and exprience from payin' the dues on an actual bike. all winter yet.
but perhaps what we should fear for most is the ego of any guy she will ride with...

mmb said:
Hi,
Thanks.

I do both, and the relevance varies from spin class to spin class. Some are basically 1980's aerobics classes with spinning feet. Woman in spandex yelling at you to do push ups on the bars, stand-up, sit down twist and all the rest of it. Not much overlap. Others instuctors are more "realistic" and relevant. It really depends on the class. I'm not sure I agree with teh others who said the resistance is different: you set it yourself, and can keep it in line with reality. Also some variation in muscles, but don't ask me why... same set up, different pain!

mmb said:
Hi,
Thanks.
I first got on my road bike after 4 months of intense spinning classes. some observations:

1. get into a real spinning class. if you don't do it on a bike, don't do it in a spin class (if the instructor is having you do pushups while spinning, or leaning, or anything else which does not resemble what you do on a ride, get another instructor -- the ony exceptions should be while you warm up and cool down)

2. riding outdoors has a lot more vagaries and inconsistencies than the spin class. the hills are real. the wind is real.

3. you can focus more on cardio targets in a spin class (like hitting 92% for 30 seconds), but for an overall workout, get on the bike and ride.

4. spin will help build up the same muscle groups, but will do nothing for your balance.

I spun all winter, and could not wait for the weather to warm up so I could get out of that room and onto the road.

As a spinning instructor and a roadie, I find spinning has a limited amount of use for a cyclist. It does help in two aspects.
1. If trained well, you can smooth your pedaling technique. Being in a controlled enviroment you can really focus on technique.
2. You can mantain/improve your aerobic and anaerobic capacity. Again the controlled enviroment allows you do specific interval routines focusing on heart rates ,breathing and interval timing. However, it is limited because you rely only on heart rate since amount bike resistance can not be quantitatively transferred to power output on a bike(unless of course you have a Powertap installed). Road or off cycling is still far superior than spinning.

It is difficult to train a spinning class as you would train on a bike but you can still mix it up. (Steady state or progressive uphill climbing in seated position with hill attacks, flat spinning mixed with sprint intervals, flat attacks with uphill intervals etc.) My satisfaction is when I hear groans of relief fm the clients at the end of a session.:D

In any case, on a rainy or wintry day , unless you're hardcore, spinning allows you continue your training.

Induray said:
As a spinning instructor and a roadie, I find spinning has a limited amount of use for a cyclist. It does help in two aspects.
1. If trained well, you can smooth your pedaling technique. Being in a controlled enviroment you can really focus on technique.
2. You can mantain/improve your aerobic and anaerobic capacity. Again the controlled enviroment allows you do specific interval routines focusing on heart rates ,breathing and interval timing. However, it is limited because you rely only on heart rate since amount bike resistance can not be quantitatively transferred to power output on a bike(unless of course you have a Powertap installed). Road or off cycling is still far superior than spinning.

It is difficult to train a spinning class as you would train on a bike but you can still mix it up. (Steady state or progressive uphill climbing in seated position with hill attacks, flat spinning mixed with sprint intervals, flat attacks with uphill intervals etc.) My satisfaction is when I hear groans of relief fm the clients at the end of a session.:D

In any case, on a rainy or wintry day , unless you're hardcore, spinning allows you continue your training.
Maybe OT, but how would you rate the Spinervals training DVDs? Are they worth the effort? Can they really improve your cycling abilities or are they just for general fitness? I notice that there is a 3hr long session that seems to be quite difficult. Any thought?

962817 said:
Maybe OT, but how would you rate the Spinervals training DVDs? Are they worth the effort? Can they really improve your cycling abilities or are they just for general fitness? I notice that there is a 3hr long session that seems to be quite difficult. Any thought?
I have never tried the Spinerval Series. I really don't know. But 3hrs on a trainer or indoors? If I have that time I would ride outside instead!:eek:

962817 said:
I can tell you from personal experience that the spinerval tapes are hard. Do not get the three hour DVD unless you are a top CAT racer. I have one of the easiest spinerval DVDs called "Recharge" and the rating of difficulty on the back is 7 out of 10. I also have one of the earlier spinervals called "no slackers" and "suffer-o-rama" which are aptly named.

They can improve your fitness and they can help with your pedal technique (a little). The one leg pedaling forces you to pedal in a circle rather than just mash the pedals. Coach Troy Jacobson is pretty good and offers good tips throughout the video.

I don't take a spinning class, but have a professional spin bike and use Spinerval DVDs at home when weather forces me to. I find spinning very useful as it allows me to keep training. It will never take the place of real rides, but it does do a decent job. I find that my pedal stroke is smoother, and my output of power (not measured, just by feel) seems stronger. I also hardly coast anymore on a real bike because the spinner doesn't let me, so I've gotten used to it. I think that is a good thing, but that would be up to opinion. In all, I find spinning preferable to rides in below freezing or very rainy conditions.