Spinning routine help

coachsbb

Feb 12, 2004
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and to being a spinning instructor. I was certified a couple of weeks ago but have yet to teach a class. Tomorrow, is my audition to become an instructor and I'm a bit apprehensive about what to plan and how to lead the mock class. (I'll have about 15 mins to show my stuff!)

Anyone have any suggestions, words of wisdom, or routine ideas that would help me through the process?!

Any input is more than welcome. (And when I become a bit more seasoned as an instructor, I hope to return the favor some day!)

Thanks!!!

Coashssb:

I am a 6-time a week spin instructor and a competitive team-based cyclist. I commend you on getting into spinning as you can be a great conduit to introduce people to cycling. Below, I included a reply to anohter memeber in your shoes. I have reposted it here for your review. Be sure to search the forum for other input also.

PS - Remember to set your "ride" to the music. The beat of the tune will set you and your students up with cadence, intensity and lenght. Choose your music correctly and the rest falls into place easily.

Good luck,
Catspin

********posted 21 May 03

Don't know about you, but I find it difficult to time the intervals to the songs. I tend to find songs that have choruses that can be used as an interval. I am less concerned with the precise length of the interval so as long as it is matched by the beat in the music.

Today we interval / tempo hill climbed to:

Pretty in Pink - the Psychedelic Furs
Elevation - U2 - you are right on with this one.
Just like a pill - Pink

You may want to add ascending and descending intervals where you start off high and work low (say 7 to 4) for the first song, spin the legs during a fast paced "speed song" (Playing in a travelin' band - Credence Clearwater Survival will do it) then go up from level 5 to 8 in your second interval song. This should tear them up.

What the class likes best are "race" tunes. Geared up at level 5 going flat out, regrouping towards the end of the song, then sprinting to the finish. The all time favorite for class is Van Halen's "Panama". PS - the last 20 seconds, gear up to level 7 and make them sprint out of the saddle.

What the hell are you guys talking about?

Is this something to do with exercise bikes in gyms?

What is a spinning instructor? I always thought they were little old ladies with a spinning wheel and a bag of wool!

Originally posted by Spider1977
What the hell are you guys talking about?

Is this something to do with exercise bikes in gyms?

What is a spinning instructor? I always thought they were little old ladies with a spinning wheel and a bag of wool!
you have heard of spin doctors? i guess they are not quite up to that level yet (G)