Spinning Vs "regular" stationary bike

Muaythaibike

Oct 30, 2007
Ok guys, other than being so much less comfortable what is the difference between the two. Winter is right around the corner so I will be taking some of my training indoors. I have several traditional stationary bikes avaliable to me at my gym but the spinning bikes are hidden in back and only intended for spinning class. What am I missing if i use a reqular bike in the gym???

Thanks-:rolleyes:

If you are interested in power training, most of the spinners have no power readings which means you have to use an HRM to be in your correct zone. If you use the electronic bikes like a fitness cycle or some other brand, they have all the readings you can ever want but based upon my personal experience and outside opinion the watts readings can be less than accurate...amount of inaccuracy I really do not know.

It would seem that if you want the best option than go for a trainer and a bike with a power meter. Many feel that rollers make the best trainers. Ofcourse this is IMHO but many can give you different ideas. Also if you have the bucks check out the computrainers....

On a side note I do personally enjoy going to the gym and when I go I prefer the spinners with a hrm but many times the bikes are in real bad shape and a spinning class may be going on so I used the machines but use both my own personal hrm readings combined with the watts reading to make sure I am in the correct zone.

-Js

Muaythaibike said:
Ok guys, other than being so much less comfortable what is the difference between the two. Winter is right around the corner so I will be taking some of my training indoors. I have several traditional stationary bikes avaliable to me at my gym but the spinning bikes are hidden in back and only intended for spinning class. What am I missing if i use a reqular bike in the gym???

Thanks-:rolleyes:

You state that they are intended for spin class, but do you know for sure if they are restricted for use. I ask because I used to think the spin bikes in my gym were, but I started using them anyway. However, I go at 5 AM so the guy that opens the gym in the morning doesn't say much to anyone.

Even though I have no monitoring device on the spin bike it is still my preference over the magnetic resistance stationary bike.

Ride whatever helps to keep you motivated to train consistently, providing that the intensity is right for the intended physiological adaptations.

jsirabella said:
If you are interested in power training, most of the spinners have no power readings which means you have to use an HRM to be in your correct zone. If you use the electronic bikes like a fitness cycle or some other brand, they have all the readings you can ever want but based upon my personal experience and outside opinion the watts readings can be less than accurate...amount of inaccuracy I really do not know.
For a poor man, as long as the wattage reading is consistent and that you are doing isopower work, then the stationary bike can still serve a purpose. Of course, one should not reference with other power meters unless they are calibrated against each other.

sogood said:
For a poor man, as long as the wattage reading is consistent and that you are doing isopower work, then the stationary bike can still serve a purpose. Of course, one should not reference with other power meters unless they are calibrated against each other.

Spinning bike:You can sit, get in a TT position, or get out of the saddle. Drawbacks: resistance is analog and cannot be monitored and, at least on the spinning bikes in my gym, there are no electronics, so a HRM is all you would have.

Stationary bike: You may be able to get in a TT position or get out of the saddle, depending on the model of bike. Resistance is digital and can be monitored. Most measure HR and some measure watts, however accurate or inaccurate.

Perceived exertion will do it as well, if you understand your body well enough. That's all you really need for a spinning class imo.

What would we do without power meters........