spinning??

rachelicious

Mar 25, 2004
This is definitely the question of someone who's inexperienced in the game of bike lingo.
What is spinning and why should I do it? I ask because I think I know....but won't bore anyone with my ideas.....however, my idea leads me to my next question: is it true that the touring cyclist....one who is going on long rides and not trying to be a speed demon..... should shoot for about 80 revolutions per minute?
Thanks for your help.
Rachel

That's exactly what spinning is (and it's not a stupid question, cuz I had to ask the same thing!) Spinning is getting into an easy gear and turning the crank, maintaing a certain avg distance and rpm's. On the trainer, I am constantly counting cadence and have increased my "spinning" to 93 rpms for an average endurance ride. Why do it? Someone with more knowledge can tell you better, but spinning builds endurance. My LBS/Trainer said to build my base miles (1st 500 miles) in easy spinning. I didn't listen to him and spent the 1st few months "mashing" which didn't get me anywhere except frustrated! Now that I've started training/riding in an easier gear with a higher number of rpms, I definitely see a difference.

having just moved to JHB where would anybody recommend join to spin

Live Northern Suburbs Seen Cycle Lab on william Nicl is there anywhere else?

Originally posted by rachelicious
This is definitely the question of someone who's inexperienced in the game of bike lingo.
What is spinning and why should I do it? I ask because I think I know....but won't bore anyone with my ideas.....however, my idea leads me to my next question: is it true that the touring cyclist....one who is going on long rides and not trying to be a speed demon..... should shoot for about 80 revolutions per minute?
Thanks for your help.
Rachel

Here is an analogy.

You have a choice of loading on to a truck 10 bags containing 100kgs each or 40 bags containing 25kgs each.

Would not you choose the 25kg bags?

At the end of the loading, the time taken would more than likely be equal but you would be fresher and less physically stressed having elected to load the lighter bags.

The work performed, 1,000kgs, is the same. Same applies to cycling. By spinning you achieve the same work rate but with less pedal force.

Most people spin, tho, because they haven't the time to ride outside or the weather is ****. If you ask most people where they ride during the winter, indoors is usually the answer. :)