SpinSkins or Mr. Tuffy

KennethG

Mar 25, 2004
Does anyone have any experience with either SpinSkins or Mr. Tuffy tire protection?

Recommendations? Things to consider?

Thanks.

meehs

Nov 7, 2003
Toss a coin! They both do the job.

There are a lot of tires on the market now that have "built-in" flat protection too (Specialized Armidillos for example). And they work very well! They're not as light as a standard tire but they're lighter than a standard tire PLUS the protection strip that you're thinking about. Just something to consider. The wheels are the last place you want unnecessary weight.

KennethG

Mar 25, 2004
Originally posted by meehs
Toss a coin! They both do the job.

There are a lot of tires on the market now that have "built-in" flat protection too (Specialized Armidillos for example). And they work very well! They're not as light as a standard tire but they're lighter than a standard tire PLUS the protection strip that you're thinking about. Just something to consider. The wheels are the last place you want unnecessary weight.

Thanks ... I want the armadillo tires but I have 650c wheels and they only make 700c.

My tires seem to attract sharp objects.

quantum

Mar 16, 2004
I use to be "flat-happy" as well, but I've been running Mr. Tuffy for a little over a year with zero punctures.

Also, if you have a frame with tight clearance between the rear tire and the seat tube (like sloped top tube Giants, for example), the 'dillos may rub.