SpinSkins or Mr. Tuffy

KennethG

Mar 25, 2004
Does anyone have any experience with either SpinSkins or Mr. Tuffy tire protection?

Recommendations? Things to consider?

Thanks.

Toss a coin! They both do the job.

There are a lot of tires on the market now that have "built-in" flat protection too (Specialized Armidillos for example). And they work very well! They're not as light as a standard tire but they're lighter than a standard tire PLUS the protection strip that you're thinking about. Just something to consider. The wheels are the last place you want unnecessary weight.

Originally posted by meehs
Toss a coin! They both do the job.

There are a lot of tires on the market now that have "built-in" flat protection too (Specialized Armidillos for example). And they work very well! They're not as light as a standard tire but they're lighter than a standard tire PLUS the protection strip that you're thinking about. Just something to consider. The wheels are the last place you want unnecessary weight.

Thanks ... I want the armadillo tires but I have 650c wheels and they only make 700c.

My tires seem to attract sharp objects.

I use to be "flat-happy" as well, but I've been running Mr. Tuffy for a little over a year with zero punctures.

Also, if you have a frame with tight clearance between the rear tire and the seat tube (like sloped top tube Giants, for example), the 'dillos may rub.