Spit or Swallow?

Lonnie Utah

Banned
Aug 21, 2004
So when you guys/girls catch a nice jucy bug between the teeth or down the throat, what's your course of action, spit it out or swallow it down? Me, being a biologist/ecologist, I go for the swallow method (usually with some water from my bottle).

Just curious....

L

Lonnie Utah said:
So when you guys/girls catch a nice jucy bug between the teeth or down the throat, what's your course of action, spit it out or swallow it down? Me, being a biologist/ecologist, I go for the swallow method (usually with some water from my bottle).

Just curious....

L
Do you mean Robin Spitz Swallows in Austin Powers “ The Spy Who Shagged Me”? :D

I have been fortunate in the fact that I have not had one (bug) go in my mouth. I have had bugs hit my teeth, sunglasses, ears, etc…To answer your question, I would spit.

I recently had one go in my nose…. I Farmer John’d it.

LW

Good question and a relevant topic. I've done both. It depends on the size and consistancy of the insect as well as how far the little ******* makes it down my throat before I realize what's going on. In other words: If it's a relatively smallish insect and it makes it's way half-way down my esophagus, I'll simply finish the job and swallow it down. But if it's a monster june-bug (or the like) and it gets caught between my teeth on the way in, I'll eject the SOB quicker than a TV guide crossword puzzle!

joelguy said:
depends on how hungry I am.....................:)

hahahaha!!!
Exactly, having a chew on your insect of choice mid ride is a great way to replenish carb levels:rolleyes:

Lonnie Utah said:

L

Wait, what does being a biologist/ecologist have to do with spitting or swallowing a bug?

this simple mathematical formula helps me make the correct decision every time.

(gender) x (attractiveness)
------------------------------
(how p_ssed off i am)

works great!

oh, you were talking about bugs?

ignore the above, which addresses an entirely different set of circumstances

LOL.........swallow most of the time. Last one I had was quite tasty in a nutty sort of way. :D

Heck....billions of spiders can`t be wrong?

Here in Florida, we have an overwhelming amount of grasshoppers (the big bastards not the little fellas). I had one hit me square in the forehead one time...nearly took me off my bike.

Their favorite is jumping straight into the front spokes....really neat sound it makes when they spokes act like a blender.

As for little bugs, it really depends on the taste...heh

Depends on whether he has a stinger or not. Years ago I got a bumble bee in the mouth, had I not spit he probably would have stung my throat and I would have asphyxiated. As it was he got my lip as he exited. I looked damn silly with a lower lip as big as my nose.

I have since tried to keep my mouth closed when I ride, besides keeping out unwanted critters it tends to make one look a little smarter.

Not always possible and I swallowed some unknown tiny bug just last week.

stone61cm said:
Here in Florida, we have an overwhelming amount of grasshoppers (the big bastards not the little fellas). I had one hit me square in the forehead one time...nearly took me off my bike.

Their favorite is jumping straight into the front spokes....really neat sound it makes when they spokes act like a blender.
Funny. I had a beatle get stuck in on of the vents in my helmet once on a fast decent. I could hear him beating/buzzing his wings trying to fly out. I finally reached up an pulled him out, when I felt safe enough to take my hands off the brakes for a few seconds...

L

Lonnie Utah said:
Funny. I had a beatle get stuck in on of the vents in my helmet once on a fast decent...

Was it Paul, John, George or Ringo?

Lonnie Utah said:
Funny. I had a beatle get stuck in on of the vents in my helmet once on a fast decent. I could hear him beating/buzzing his wings trying to fly out. I finally reached up an pulled him out, when I felt safe enough to take my hands off the brakes for a few seconds...

L
I had that happen with a bee a few months ago. Fortunately I wasn't going too fast. I calmly locked up the brakes and tore my helmet off.