Spitfire - Seeking information

Myosmith

Apr 27, 2011
I don't know if this is the proper place to post this but I didn't see any forum for older bikes so I hope this is OK.

I was given this Schwinn Spitfire by a retired gentleman who is moving and did not want to lug it with him. He said he bought it new, he thinks around 1950. I've looked up Schwinn Spitfires and this obviously is one, but it has a couple of peculiarities. It seems to have less chrome than most and even though the paint is mostly intact, there is absolutely no indication, even fade marks, that there were ever any logos on the frame. The owner said that it has not been repainted and is all original. The head badge is also different than any Spitfires I was able to find online.

As you can see in the last photo, something is missing from the front fender. Anyone know what it was or, better yet, have a picture? I am thinking of restoring this bike but I want to find out more about it. Year of manufacture, value both unrestored and restored, any tips or information about restoration, modern paint codes to match the original paint, etc. Any information welcome and thanks in advance