Splenda in a meringue

Gwen Morse

Guest
Has anyone out there made a real meringue with powder Splenda instead
of powdered sugar? Does it "work"? Does it have a gritty texture
and/or does it go flat?

Meringue is made with egg whites, powdered sugar, corn starch, and
vinegar. You whip them together and then pour them in a pan to bake.
The sugar both provides sweetness, and supports the egg whites in the
meringue 'waves'. I'm not sure if Splenda will work.

Gwen

Gwen Morse wrote:
> Meringue is made with egg whites, powdered sugar, corn starch, and
> vinegar. You whip them together and then pour them in a pan to bake.
> The sugar both provides sweetness, and supports the egg whites in the
> meringue 'waves'. I'm not sure if Splenda will work.

Generally, the structure initially provided by the egg white and air, is
supported/strengthened by the sugar and the cornstarch, so no, Splenda
will not provide that same support. The meringue, in the absence of any
other strengthening product/foodstuff, will have little texture and
"bite". Incidentally, a blend of sweeteners gives a synergy that allows
less sweetener used overall (good risk management :cool: and more sweetness
with less discernible aftertaste...

I've had some succuess with a "bite" to a meringue with the addition of
vegetable gums, specifically ThickenThin not/Sugar (a blend of 4 gums)
from Expert Foods (no affiliation). Recipes on their website quite
illuminating! A place I've been visiting for many years for inspiration
and learning.
--> http://www.expertfoods.com

Erythritol and Polydextrose are two other strong possibilities. KCDuffer
on www.lowcarbfriends.com BB/Forums has developed a recipe that looks
pretty darn good using all three (not/Sugar, Polydextrose, Erythritol).
I mean to try it soon.
--> http://tinyurl.com/dc8s8

Enjoy.

--

Jude [IslandGirl]

LowCarb FoodExperts Canada
www.LowCarbCanada.com

Expert foods may have some good advice, but some of their products seem
dubious at best. I took a quick look at their cheesecake product. For
$9 you get enough to make one cheese cake, but you have to provide the
cream cheese, sweetener, and lemon extract. They say eggs are optional
too. So, what do I need their product for? I've made very nice cheese
cakes just following readily available recipes, including the one on
the philly cream cheese box, substituting splenda for sugar, without
the need for a magic bag of $9 stuff.

The thick/thin product seems questionable too. You can buy xanathan
gum, guar gum, etc which are excellent thickening agents for a lot less
that $19 for 22 servings.

Their product appears to be