Splenda in a meringue

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Gwen Morse, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. Gwen Morse

    Gwen Morse Guest

    Has anyone out there made a real meringue with powder Splenda instead
    of powdered sugar? Does it "work"? Does it have a gritty texture
    and/or does it go flat?

    Meringue is made with egg whites, powdered sugar, corn starch, and
    vinegar. You whip them together and then pour them in a pan to bake.
    The sugar both provides sweetness, and supports the egg whites in the
    meringue 'waves'. I'm not sure if Splenda will work.

    Gwen

    Tags:

  2. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Gwen Morse wrote:
    > Meringue is made with egg whites, powdered sugar, corn starch, and
    > vinegar. You whip them together and then pour them in a pan to bake.
    > The sugar both provides sweetness, and supports the egg whites in the
    > meringue 'waves'. I'm not sure if Splenda will work.

    Generally, the structure initially provided by the egg white and air, is
    supported/strengthened by the sugar and the cornstarch, so no, Splenda
    will not provide that same support. The meringue, in the absence of any
    other strengthening product/foodstuff, will have little texture and
    "bite". Incidentally, a blend of sweeteners gives a synergy that allows
    less sweetener used overall (good risk management :cool: and more sweetness
    with less discernible aftertaste...

    I've had some succuess with a "bite" to a meringue with the addition of
    vegetable gums, specifically ThickenThin not/Sugar (a blend of 4 gums)
    from Expert Foods (no affiliation). Recipes on their website quite
    illuminating! A place I've been visiting for many years for inspiration
    and learning.
    --> http://www.expertfoods.com

    Erythritol and Polydextrose are two other strong possibilities. KCDuffer
    on www.lowcarbfriends.com BB/Forums has developed a recipe that looks
    pretty darn good using all three (not/Sugar, Polydextrose, Erythritol).
    I mean to try it soon.
    --> http://tinyurl.com/dc8s8

    Enjoy.

    --

    Jude [IslandGirl]

    LowCarb FoodExperts Canada
    www.LowCarbCanada.com

  3. Expert foods may have some good advice, but some of their products seem
    dubious at best. I took a quick look at their cheesecake product. For
    $9 you get enough to make one cheese cake, but you have to provide the
    cream cheese, sweetener, and lemon extract. They say eggs are optional
    too. So, what do I need their product for? I've made very nice cheese
    cakes just following readily available recipes, including the one on
    the philly cream cheese box, substituting splenda for sugar, without
    the need for a magic bag of $9 stuff.

    The thick/thin product seems questionable too. You can buy xanathan
    gum, guar gum, etc which are excellent thickening agents for a lot less
    that $19 for 22 servings.

    Their product appears to be