splenda

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Cc88m, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Cc88m

    Cc88m Guest

    I've read some articles that say splenda is bad, while some
    doctors say it's OK. What's the general concensus? It is
    highly chlorinated, so can't be that good. On the other
    hand, they claim it doesn't get absorbed. On the other hand,
    they say it is partly absorbed partly because it reacts with
    food and becomes something else. To me, it only sweetens
    food without adding any good taste, so sugar, in small
    amounts seems a better solution.
    C. C. Chang; more on piano practice at

    http://members.aol.com/chang8828/contents.htm

    Tags:

  2. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "Cc88m" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've read some articles that say splenda is bad, while
    > some doctors say
    it's
    > OK. What's the general concensus? It is highly
    > chlorinated, so can't be
    that
    > good. On the other hand, they claim it doesn't get
    > absorbed. On the other hand, they say it is partly
    > absorbed partly because it reacts with food
    and
    > becomes something else. To me, it only sweetens food
    > without adding any
    good
    > taste, so sugar, in small amounts seems a better solution.
    > C. C. Chang; more on piano practice at

    I've never heard anything about it being bad.

    --
    Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

  3. Andrea

    Andrea Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Cc88m) wrote:
    >I've read some articles that say splenda is bad, while some
    >doctors say it's OK.

    Where were these articles published? Were they in peer
    reviewed scientific journals? If I saw them in the New
    England Journal of Medicine I would probably give them
    credence. If I saw them in the Naitonal Enquirer I wouldn't.
    Were the authors well qualified to make a judgment? Did they
    give you sufficient evidence to back up their claims?

    End of lecture number 1 from Library 101.

    >To me, it only sweetens food without adding any good taste,

    I'm not completely sure what this means -- don't most
    sweeteners sweeten food without adding some other taste? But
    if you don't like the taste of Splenda, then there's no
    reason to use it. Use a product that you like.

    --
    Lord, make me an instrument of your peace...
    where there is hatred, let me sow love.

    remove "spamtrap" for e-mail

  4. those articles were from SURPRISE !

    that queen of information Betty Martini and her trolls

    Andrea wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (Cc88m) wrote:
    >
    >>I've read some articles that say splenda is bad, while
    >>some doctors say it's OK.
    >

    > Where were these articles published? Were they in peer
    > reviewed scientific journals? If I saw them in the New
    > England Journal of Medicine I would probably give them
    > credence. If I saw them in the Naitonal Enquirer I
    > wouldn't. Were the authors well qualified to make a
    > judgment? Did they give you sufficient evidence to back up
    > their claims?
    >
    > End of lecture number 1 from Library 101.
    >

    >>To me, it only sweetens food without adding any good
    >>taste,
    >

    > I'm not completely sure what this means -- don't most
    > sweeteners sweeten food without adding some other taste?
    > But if you don't like the taste of Splenda, then there's
    > no reason to use it. Use a product that you like.
    >
    > --
    > Lord, make me an instrument of your peace... where there
    > is hatred, let me sow love.
    >
    > remove "spamtrap" for e-mail

  5. Bill Beeman

    Bill Beeman Guest

    "Cc88m" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've read some articles that say splenda is bad, while
    > some doctors say
    it's
    > OK. What's the general concensus? It is highly
    > chlorinated, so can't be
    that
    > good. On the other hand, they claim it doesn't get
    > absorbed. On the other hand, they say it is partly
    > absorbed partly because it reacts with food
    and
    > becomes something else. To me, it only sweetens food
    > without adding any
    good
    > taste, so sugar, in small amounts seems a better solution.
    > C. C. Chang; more on piano practice at
    >
    > http://members.aol.com/chang8828/contents.htm

    Isn't this a repeat of the troll from a couple of weeks ago?

  6. Misu

    Misu Guest

    Splenda tastes the best to me. I rarely use anything else. I
    don't care to hear all that crap that people say about
    sweetners in their paranoid way. The best sweetner is the
    one you like. Let me know when there is really hard evidence
    any of these is "bad" ... I won't stop though, unless alot
    of people are dying ... and then I'll think about a little
    and move on like nothing happened ! I need relly hard
    evidence that any sweetner is killing people ! Rainbow

  7. Misu

    Misu Guest

    Splenda tastes the best to me. I rarely use anything else. I
    don't care to hear all that crap that people say about
    sweetners in their paranoid way. The best sweetner is the
    one you like. Let me know when there is really hard evidence
    any of these is "bad" ... I won't stop though, unless alot
    of people are dying ... and then I'll think about a little
    and move on like nothing happened ! I need relly hard
    evidence that any sweetner is killing people ! Rainbow

  8. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Against the advice of a few fearmongers (who probably have
    stock in Aspartame labs or whatnot), I use Splenda on
    breakfast cereal and to me, it tastes very much like table
    sugar, more than any other non-sugar sweetener. From what
    I've read, the body doesn't recognize it and it's excreted
    without impact. Considering all the negatives of refined
    sugar, especially from my dentist's perspective, it's a
    reasonable tradeoff IMO.

    "Cc88m" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m15.aol.com...
    > I've read some articles that say splenda is bad, while
    > some doctors say
    it's
    > OK. What's the general concensus? It is highly
    > chlorinated, so can't be
    that
    > good. On the other hand, they claim it doesn't get
    > absorbed. On the other hand, they say it is partly
    > absorbed partly because it reacts with food
    and
    > becomes something else. To me, it only sweetens food
    > without adding any
    good
    > taste, so sugar, in small amounts seems a better solution.
    > C. C. Chang; more on piano practice at
    >
    > http://members.aol.com/chang8828/contents.htm

  9. Nan Eklund

    Nan Eklund Guest

    Consensus seems to be:

    Equal/NutriSweet/any of the aspertame packets when you are
    sweetening stuff like coffee, tea, or other non-sensitive
    liquids. They are cheaper, too. Splenda for cooking and also
    for the occasional treat-type food such as blueberries plus
    cream. You get the grainy effect. More expensive stuff.

    Nan, Type 2

  10. Flying Rat

    Flying Rat Guest

    Nan Eklund said this...
    > Consensus seems to be:
    >
    > Equal/NutriSweet/any of the aspertame packets when you are
    > sweetening stuff like coffee, tea, or other non-sensitive
    > liquids. They are cheaper, too. Splenda for cooking and
    > also for the occasional treat-type food such as
    > blueberries plus cream. You get the grainy effect. More
    > expensive stuff.
    >
    > Nan, Type 2

    Odd.

    Here in the UK, Splenda tabs and granules are about the same
    as the equivalent aspartame products WRT price.

    Ratty
    --
    Imitation of life

    www.flyingrat.net

  11. Vbh

    Vbh Guest

    "Flying Rat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Nan Eklund said this...
    > > Consensus seems to be:
    > >
    > > Equal/NutriSweet/any of the aspertame packets when you
    > > are sweetening
    stuff
    > > like coffee, tea, or other non-sensitive liquids. They
    > > are cheaper, too. Splenda for cooking and also for the
    > > occasional treat-type food such as blueberries plus
    > > cream. You get the grainy effect. More expensive
    stuff.

    > > Nan, Type 2
    > >
    > Odd.
    >
    > Here in the UK, Splenda tabs and granules are about the
    > same as the equivalent aspartame products WRT price.
    >
    > Ratty
    > --
    > Imitation of life
    >
    > www.flyingrat.net

    And you can nick em by the handful from Little Chef ;-)

    VBH Dx(Oct-03) : A1c 10.2 : 102Kg Latest : A1c: 6.1 : 85Kg
    : Met 3x500