Splined BB's

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Chris Zacho "Th, Apr 12, 2003.

  1. Are these things really any better? or is it just hype? Read; Another way to force us all to spend
    bucco bucks changing everything on our bikes again.

    Everybody else seems to be "following the leader" now that Shimano has changed something again.

  2. "Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Read; Another way to force us all to spend bucco bucks changing everything on our bikes again.

    "Force"? Don't change until your BB or crank wears out. Sure, it's annoying that when one goes
    you're more likely to need to replace the other (though BBs and cranks for square taper BBs are
    still available), but just because something is put on the market doesn't mean you have to go out
    and buy it.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  3. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >Are these things really any better? or is it just hype? Read; Another way to force us all to spend
    >bucco bucks changing everything on our bikes again.

    Splined BB or splined spindle/cranks?

    If "A", that's something new to me.

    B-wise, I've got a couple sets of TruVative splined cranks/spindle and would never go back. Soooooo
    much easier to remove and replace.

    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  4. Pete-<< B-wise, I've got a couple sets of TruVative splined cranks/spindle and would never go back.
    Soooooo much easier to remove and replace.

    ???-so much easier to remove and replace? How so-shimano spline and even square taper-ala Campagnolo
    are easy to remove and replace. How does ISIS make it any easier?

  5. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >???-so much easier to remove and replace? How so-shimano spline and even square taper-ala
    >Campagnolo are easy to remove and replace. How does ISIS make it any easier?

    Dunno from ISIS, but the critical feature for me is the self-extracting allen key interface. Just
    rotate the bolt until it comes off and, when it's time to replace, reverse the process with a
    torque wrench.

    Maybe the functinal equivalent is there in non-splined, but it's been a long time and my
    recollections of pre-spline crank removal/replacement are of a substantially
    less-convenient process.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  6. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > RE/
    > >???-so much easier to remove and replace? How so-shimano spline and even square taper-ala
    > >Campagnolo are easy to
    remove
    > >and replace. How does ISIS make it any easier?
    >
    > Dunno from ISIS, but the critical feature for me is the self-extracting
    allen
    > key interface. Just rotate the bolt until it comes off and, when it's
    time to
    > replace, reverse the process with a torque wrench.
    >
    > Maybe the functinal equivalent is there in non-splined, but it's been a
    long
    > time and my recollections of pre-spline crank removal/replacement are of a substantially
    > less-convenient process.
    > PeteCresswell

    My mtn cranks have a self-extractor in them, but they are a Speed Metal aftermarket set.

    Mike