Split pea soup virgin

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ginny Sher, Apr 11, 2005.

  1. Ginny Sher

    Ginny Sher Guest

    I admit it. I'm not the world's most creative cook and for some
    reason, I seldom make soup. But this past Easter, we had a spiral
    baked ham and since there are only two of us, we've been making slow
    progress finishing it off. So I decided I would make some split pea
    soup with the remainder of the ham and the bone. After reading all
    the posts about making stock and such, I figure it's gotta be better
    with a bone, eh?

    Here's what I did: Put about 7-8 cups of chicken stock in a big pot;
    added 1 lbs of split peas; leftover ham plus the bone; 1 large onion,
    chopped fine; half a bunch of celery, chopped fine (including leaves);
    about 2 cups of carrot, chopped into bite sized chunks; a bay leaf,
    clove of garlic; brought to the boil. Lowered heat to simmer and let
    her sit for about an hour. It really didn't need any other seasoning
    although I'm sure some of you will make recommendations for my next
    attempt. Suggestions welcome, btw.

    The peas turned a little mushy but it still has some texture to it,
    which I like. Once the bone and bay leaf were removed, it was ready
    for tasting. It's tucked away in the fridge waiting for my lunch
    tomorrow.

    Split pea soup virgin no more and proud of it!

    Ginny

    Tags:

  2. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Ginny Sher wrote:
    > I admit it. I'm not the world's most creative cook and for some
    > reason, I seldom make soup. But this past Easter, we had a spiral
    > baked ham and since there are only two of us, we've been making slow
    > progress finishing it off. So I decided I would make some split pea
    > soup with the remainder of the ham and the bone. After reading all
    > the posts about making stock and such, I figure it's gotta be better
    > with a bone, eh?
    >
    > Here's what I did: Put about 7-8 cups of chicken stock in a big pot;
    > added 1 lbs of split peas; leftover ham plus the bone; 1 large onion,
    > chopped fine; half a bunch of celery, chopped fine (including

    leaves);
    > about 2 cups of carrot, chopped into bite sized chunks; a bay leaf,
    > clove of garlic; brought to the boil. Lowered heat to simmer and let
    > her sit for about an hour. It really didn't need any other seasoning
    > although I'm sure some of you will make recommendations for my next
    > attempt. Suggestions welcome, btw.
    >
    > The peas turned a little mushy but it still has some texture to it,
    > which I like. Once the bone and bay leaf were removed, it was ready
    > for tasting. It's tucked away in the fridge waiting for my lunch
    > tomorrow.
    >
    > Split pea soup virgin no more and proud of it!
    >
    > Ginny

    Looks excellent... only thing it may need some black pepper and I like
    to add a couple diced spuds.

    Sheldon

  3. On Mon 11 Apr 2005 07:42:05p, Ginny Sher wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > I admit it. I'm not the world's most creative cook and for some
    > reason, I seldom make soup. But this past Easter, we had a spiral
    > baked ham and since there are only two of us, we've been making slow
    > progress finishing it off. So I decided I would make some split pea
    > soup with the remainder of the ham and the bone. After reading all
    > the posts about making stock and such, I figure it's gotta be better
    > with a bone, eh?
    >
    > Here's what I did: Put about 7-8 cups of chicken stock in a big pot;
    > added 1 lbs of split peas; leftover ham plus the bone; 1 large onion,
    > chopped fine; half a bunch of celery, chopped fine (including leaves);
    > about 2 cups of carrot, chopped into bite sized chunks; a bay leaf,
    > clove of garlic; brought to the boil. Lowered heat to simmer and let
    > her sit for about an hour. It really didn't need any other seasoning
    > although I'm sure some of you will make recommendations for my next
    > attempt. Suggestions welcome, btw.
    >
    > The peas turned a little mushy but it still has some texture to it,
    > which I like. Once the bone and bay leaf were removed, it was ready
    > for tasting. It's tucked away in the fridge waiting for my lunch
    > tomorrow.
    >
    > Split pea soup virgin no more and proud of it!
    >
    > Ginny

    Sounds like you did a great job! Any number of other herbs *could* have
    been added, but certainly weren't necessary. I might have added some
    Savory or some Thyme, but I would have enjoyed it just the way you made it.

    The bone does, indeed, make a huge difference.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  4. A little birdie told me that Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]>
    said:

    >Sounds like you did a great job! Any number of other herbs *could* have
    >been added, but certainly weren't necessary. I might have added some
    >Savory or some Thyme, but I would have enjoyed it just the way you made it.

    I finally discovered that spices can make split pea soup not only edible,
    but delicious. With the help of RFC folks and Crash, this is what I
    developed. I'm making a batch tomorrow, minus the pepperoni (watching the
    budget).

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Damsel and Crash's Spicy Split Pea Soup

    Recipe By :Damsel in dis Dress
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : legumes soups/chowders

    1/4 pound bacon
    1/2 pound pepperoni -- 1/2" cubes
    5 medium carrots -- sliced 1/4" thick
    1 medium onion -- chopped fine
    1 clove garlic -- smashed and chopped
    16 ounces split peas
    5 cups water
    1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 bay leaf

    In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, and set
    aside. Add pepperoni to the drippings, frying until browned; remove to
    large saucepan. Add onions and garlic to the drippings. Saute until
    onions become translucent, then add to the saucepan.

    Place dry split peas into the saucepan, along with the water. Add carrots,
    then stir in the herbs and spices.

    Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 45 minutes, or
    until peas just begin to break down. Add more water, if necessary. Remove
    bay leaf. Garnish each serving with crumbled bacon.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  5. On Mon 11 Apr 2005 08:22:23p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
    rec.food.cooking:

    > A little birdie told me that Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]>
    > said:
    >
    >>Sounds like you did a great job! Any number of other herbs *could* have
    >>been added, but certainly weren't necessary. I might have added some
    >>Savory or some Thyme, but I would have enjoyed it just the way you made
    >>it.

    > I finally discovered that spices can make split pea soup not only
    > edible, but delicious. With the help of RFC folks and Crash, this is
    > what I developed. I'm making a batch tomorrow, minus the pepperoni
    > (watching the budget).
    >
    > * Exported from MasterCook *
    >
    > Damsel and Crash's Spicy Split Pea Soup
    >
    > Recipe By :Damsel in dis Dress
    > Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    > Categories : legumes soups/chowders

    > 1/4 pound bacon
    > 1/2 pound pepperoni -- 1/2" cubes
    > 5 medium carrots -- sliced 1/4" thick
    > 1 medium onion -- chopped fine
    > 1 clove garlic -- smashed and chopped
    > 16 ounces split peas
    > 5 cups water
    > 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
    > 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
    > 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
    > 1/2 teaspoon salt
    > 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    > 1 bay leaf
    >
    > In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, and
    > set aside. Add pepperoni to the drippings, frying until browned; remove
    > to large saucepan. Add onions and garlic to the drippings. Saute until
    > onions become translucent, then add to the saucepan.
    >
    > Place dry split peas into the saucepan, along with the water. Add
    > carrots, then stir in the herbs and spices.
    >
    > Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 45 minutes,
    > or until peas just begin to break down. Add more water, if necessary.
    > Remove bay leaf. Garnish each serving with crumbled bacon.
    >

    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    > -

    You can leave the cloves out just for me! <g>

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  6. A little birdie told me that Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]>
    said:

    >You can leave the cloves out just for me! <g>

    My pleasure. How soon can you be here? I can always make bean soup while
    you're in transit. :)

    Carol
    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  7. aem

    aem Guest

    Ginny Sher wrote:
    > [snip]
    > Here's what I did: Put about 7-8 cups of chicken stock in a big pot;

    Excellent. But water works well, too, since everything else
    contributes so much flavor.

    > [snip] The peas turned a little mushy but it still has some texture
    > to it, which I like.

    We like it puréed, and have found that the stick blender does a really
    good job. Just personal preference.

    > It's tucked away in the fridge waiting for my lunch tomorrow.

    Gonna be fine. I serve ours with sour cream and hot sauce for
    individual choice/use. -aem

  8. Ginny Sher

    Ginny Sher Guest

    On 11 Apr 2005 22:23:02 -0700, "aem" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ginny Sher wrote:
    >> [snip]
    >> Here's what I did: Put about 7-8 cups of chicken stock in a big pot;

    >Excellent. But water works well, too, since everything else
    >contributes so much flavor.
    >
    >> [snip] The peas turned a little mushy but it still has some texture
    >> to it, which I like.

    >We like it puréed, and have found that the stick blender does a really
    >good job. Just personal preference.
    >
    >> It's tucked away in the fridge waiting for my lunch tomorrow.
    >>

    >Gonna be fine. I serve ours with sour cream and hot sauce for
    >individual choice/use. -aem

    Originally I thought to make it with water but I was afraid it would
    lack flavor. Maybe next time... The hot sauce sounds like a good
    idea. Thanks.

    Ginny

  9. Ginny Sher wrote:

    > On 11 Apr 2005 22:23:02 -0700, "aem" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Ginny Sher wrote:
    > >> [snip]
    > >> Here's what I did: Put about 7-8 cups of chicken stock in a big pot;

    > >Excellent. But water works well, too, since everything else
    > >contributes so much flavor.
    > >
    > >> [snip] The peas turned a little mushy but it still has some texture
    > >> to it, which I like.

    > >We like it puréed, and have found that the stick blender does a really
    > >good job. Just personal preference.
    > >
    > >> It's tucked away in the fridge waiting for my lunch tomorrow.
    > >>

    > >Gonna be fine. I serve ours with sour cream and hot sauce for
    > >individual choice/use. -aem

    > Originally I thought to make it with water but I was afraid it would
    > lack flavor. Maybe next time... The hot sauce sounds like a good
    > idea. Thanks.

    Don't forget the croutons!

    --
    Best
    Greg

  10. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    Gregory Morrow wrote:
    > Ginny Sher wrote:

    >>> Excellent. But water works well, too, since everything else
    >>> contributes so much flavor.

    >>> We like it puréed, and have found that the stick blender does a
    >>> really good job. Just personal preference.

    >>> Gonna be fine. I serve ours with sour cream and hot sauce for
    >>> individual choice/use. -aem

    >> Originally I thought to make it with water but I was afraid it would
    >> lack flavor. Maybe next time... The hot sauce sounds like a good
    >> idea. Thanks.

    > Don't forget the croutons!

    (And a slab of butter on the top.) <g>

    kili

  11. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Split pea soup gets a great tang when you add a couple spoonfuls of
    vinegar during the lat 5 minutes before serving. try it. yumm.

  12. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Split pea soup gets a great tang when you add a couple spoonfuls of
    vinegar during the lat 5 minutes before serving. try it. yumm.

  13. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1113442795.654069.4020
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > Split pea soup gets a great tang when you add a couple spoonfuls of
    > vinegar during the lat 5 minutes before serving. try it. yumm.

    In Australia, they add vinegar and ketchup AND an upsidedown meatpie and
    you have yourself a "floater!" YUUUMMMY

    [I can hear Miche groaning]

    Andy