Spoke Advice...

grioghair

May 9, 2006
I need some advice on replacing spokes. My stepson has a 26x1.75 bike. It has a broken spoke that I need to replace. I have a fairly extensive knowledge on repairing bikes, but I have never replaced a spoke before. How do I go about this? Do I need the length and the gauge of the spoke? I have a universal spoke key. Do I need any other tools to access the size of the spoke?

TIA,

Steve

grioghair said:
I need some advice on replacing spokes. My stepson has a 26x1.75 bike. It has a broken spoke that I need to replace. I have a fairly extensive knowledge on repairing bikes, but I have never replaced a spoke before. How do I go about this? Do I need the length and the gauge of the spoke? I have a universal spoke key. Do I need any other tools to access the size of the spoke?

TIA,

Steve
You can calculate the length of the spoke using rim and hub dimensions, but it's easier just to take the broken bits to the LBS to have them match a new spoke.
You'll need tyre levers, a spoke key and, if it is a rear spoke, a freehub lockring tool and a chain whip (unless the hub has a freewheel). A screwdriver helps to get the nipple on the spoke.