Spoke Break at Nipple?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul Kopit, Jun 5, 2003.

  1. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    I have a wheel that has broken 2 different spokes at the threaded end at the nipple on the drive
    side. There was a long period before breaking the first one and a long time 'til the 2nd one broke.

    Yesterday, when the 2nd one broke at the nipple, there was a simultaneous break on the drive side
    spoke at the flange. Spokes are DT 14-15 butted on drive side and DT revs on non-drive. The spokes
    broke at the 2.0 mm sections.

    I replaced the broken spokes and rebuilt the wheel to 115/50 KgF but still don't know if I did
    anything to solve the spokes breaking at the threads.

    Rim is a Velocity Aerohead x 28 holes.

    Tags:

  2. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a wheel that has broken 2 different spokes at the threaded end at the nipple on the drive
    >side. There was a long period before breaking the first one and a long time 'til the 2nd one broke.
    >
    >Yesterday, when the 2nd one broke at the nipple, there was a simultaneous break on the drive side
    >spoke at the flange. Spokes are DT 14-15 butted on drive side and DT revs on non-drive. The spokes
    >broke at the 2.0 mm sections.
    >
    >I replaced the broken spokes and rebuilt the wheel to 115/50 KgF but still don't know if I did
    >anything to solve the spokes breaking at the threads.
    >
    >Rim is a Velocity Aerohead x 28 holes.

    Were the spokes stress-relieved?

  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    Yes, built by THE BOOK

  4. Paul Kopit wrote:

    > I have a wheel that has broken 2 different spokes at the threaded end at the nipple on the drive
    > side. ...
    >
    > Rim is a Velocity Aerohead x 28 holes.

    can the nipple align with the spoke, ie how many crosses?
    --
    Marten

  5. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    Cross 3 with a Record OS hub.

    On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 22:26:29 +0200, M-Gineering import & framebouw <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Paul Kopit wrote:
    >>
    >> I have a wheel that has broken 2 different spokes at the threaded end at the nipple on the drive
    >> side. ...
    >>
    >> Rim is a Velocity Aerohead x 28 holes.
    >
    >can the nipple align with the spoke, ie how many crosses?

  6. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

    Still, the nipples might not be fully aligned with the spokes -- some Aeroheads had spoke holes
    smaller than other rims.

    Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Cross 3 with a Record OS hub.
    >
    > On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 22:26:29 +0200, M-Gineering import & framebouw <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Paul Kopit wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I have a wheel that has broken 2 different spokes at the threaded end at the nipple on the
    > >> drive side. ...
    > >>
    > >> Rim is a Velocity Aerohead x 28 holes.
    > >
    > >can the nipple align with the spoke, ie how many crosses?

  7. Ideal

    Ideal Guest

    Particularly common on older aero section Campag rims where the nipple has corroded into the rim.
    You could try a Sapim polyax nipple or reverting to a ferruled rim.