Spoke calculator

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Andy, Aug 3, 2003.

  1. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I am looking for a simple spoke calculator, specifically w/ a database of hubs and rims that is
    current. I am having trouble finding a database that includes mavic cxp21 650c rims. thanx, andy

    Tags:

  2. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    > I am looking for a simple spoke calculator, specifically w/ a database of hubs and rims that is
    > current. I am having trouble finding a database that includes mavic cxp21 650c rims. thanx, andy

    There are plenty of spoke length calculators on the net, based on the formula in The Bicycle Wheel.
    I use one that I made myself using a spreadsheet. It does require measurement of the effective rim
    diameter, easy to do with two spokes (with nipples) in opposing holes, hub flange separation and hub
    spoke circle diameter.

    Measuring those yourself is more reliable than depending on published databases of unknown accuracy.

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

  3. Precious Pup

    Precious Pup Guest

    Ted Bennett wrote:

    > > I am looking for a simple spoke calculator, specifically w/ a database of hubs and rims that is
    > > current. I am having trouble finding a database that includes mavic cxp21 650c rims. thanx, andy
    >
    > There are plenty of spoke length calculators on the net, based on the formula in The
    > Bicycle Wheel.

    No, all spoke length formulas, including that in the Bicycle wheel are based on the simple geometric
    "length of a line in 3-space" formula. The Bicycle Wheel is a very good book, but it didn't invent
    geometry. (It is possible to aquire a spoke length formula via the "folding about a line" technique
    taught in Engineering design graphics, and this amounts to finding a 2-d solution and then folding
    it to the third dimemsion. Of course the answers are equivalent even though the appear different.)

    Damon Rinard was nice enough to do a good deal of work and Sheldon was nice enough to archive
    Damon's site:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm

    > I use one that I made myself using a spreadsheet. It does require measurement of the effective rim
    > diameter, easy to do with two spokes (with nipples) in opposing holes, hub flange separation and
    > hub spoke circle diameter.
    >
    > Measuring those yourself is more reliable than depending on published databases of unknown
    > accuracy.
    >
    > --
    > Ted Bennett Portland OR

  4. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    Precious Pup <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ted Bennett wrote:

    > > There are plenty of spoke length calculators on the net, based on the formula in The Bicycle
    > > Wheel.

    > No, all spoke length formulas, including that in the Bicycle wheel are based on the simple
    > geometric "length of a line in 3-space" formula. The Bicycle Wheel is a very good book, but it
    > didn't invent geometry.

    That's all correct. I did not mean to imply that Jobst had invented it. Likely I wrote that because
    that was the first place I saw it, and I adopted it.

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR