Spoke count

VeloJon

Guest
I've built several sets of "traditional" road wheels, e.g. 32-spoke 3-
cross patterns that have held up well. Now I want to try a set with
fewer spokes using bladed spokes, and not looking for super-light
racing use, just some extra bling. With a basic rim like a Velocity
Aerohead or Mavic OP, what is the lowest spoke count I can use without
pushing the envelope? I am 150 lbs. Would 24 front/ 28 rear be
reasonable?

On Aug 6, 10:23 am, VeloJon <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've built several sets of "traditional" road wheels, e.g. 32-spoke 3-
> cross patterns that have held up well. Now I want to try a set with
> fewer spokes using bladed spokes, and not looking for super-light
> racing use, just some extra bling. With a basic rim like a Velocity
> Aerohead

Haven't seen the Aerohead drilled fewer than 28, however the Deep-V
can go as low as 16! Deep Vs with 24 rear and 18 Front or therebouts
will look flashy enough to impress at the coffeeshop. Alex also makes
a Deep section rim for very little money, the D-28. $35 and
16,20,24,28 or 32 drillings. Only black, so no funky colors to impress.

landotter wrote:
> Haven't seen the Aerohead drilled fewer than 28, however the Deep-V
> can go as low as 16! Deep Vs with 24 rear and 18 Front or therebouts
> will look flashy enough to impress at the coffeeshop. Alex also makes
> a Deep section rim for very little money, the D-28. $35 and
> 16,20,24,28 or 32 drillings. Only black, so no funky colors to impress.

While this is all well and good, I can't help but have a strong distaste
for DeepV's now that clown bikes are just about ubiquitous in Atlanta:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1207/1014320740_cbab4bf261_o.jpg

\\paul

On Aug 6, 8:23 am, VeloJon <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've built several sets of "traditional" road wheels, e.g. 32-spoke 3-
> cross patterns that have held up well. Now I want to try a set with
> fewer spokes using bladed spokes, and not looking for super-light
> racing use, just some extra bling. With a basic rim like a Velocity
> Aerohead or Mavic OP, what is the lowest spoke count I can use without
> pushing the envelope? I am 150 lbs. Would 24 front/ 28 rear be
> reasonable?

Are there 24h open pros?

24/28 would work; I don't know if sacrificing a bit of durability for
such a small gain is reasonable. Velocity does pump out lots of 24h
Aerohead wheels, as 24/32 is what their Aerohead-based wheelset uses.

At your weight that should be fine. Would also depend on the spokes,
don't use 14/17. Good quality 14/15 Sapim or DT should be fine.

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

On Aug 6, 11:33 am, Paul Myron Hobson <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Aug 6, 10:23 am, VeloJon <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I've built several sets of "traditional" road wheels, e.g. 32-spoke 3-
> >> cross patterns that have held up well. Now I want to try a set with
> >> fewer spokes using bladed spokes, and not looking for super-light
> >> racing use, just some extra bling. With a basic rim like a Velocity
> >> Aerohead

> landotter wrote:
> > Haven't seen the Aerohead drilled fewer than 28, however the Deep-V
> > can go as low as 16! Deep Vs with 24 rear and 18 Front or therebouts
> > will look flashy enough to impress at the coffeeshop. Alex also makes
> > a Deep section rim for very little money, the D-28. $35 and
> > 16,20,24,28 or 32 drillings. Only black, so no funky colors to impress.

> While this is all well and good, I can't help but have a strong distaste
> for DeepV's now that clown bikes are just about ubiquitous in Atlanta:
>
> http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1207/1014320740_cbab4bf261_o.jpg

I think I saw at least two of the bikes when I visited this spring.
Thing is, the fewer spokes, the deeper/stronger the rim needs to be.
Stick with silver or black.

A look around shows the DA28s only available in 32 drillings. Still, a
set of those can be built up with some Revolutions or Laser spokes on
your choice of hubs for cheap, and should be stupid strong. My
spreadsheet gives 1750g as a guessed weight with brass nips and
Ultegra hubs. $250 to build or so if you get hubs on sale. Basic black
keeps you looking like less of a douchebag--of which Atlanta has a
frightening amount. Sure their hangout isn't called "The Rubber Rose"
in homage to the Robbins book?

In article <[email protected]>,
Paul Myron Hobson <[email protected]> wrote:

> > On Aug 6, 10:23 am, VeloJon <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I've built several sets of "traditional" road wheels, e.g. 32-spoke 3-
> >> cross patterns that have held up well. Now I want to try a set with
> >> fewer spokes using bladed spokes, and not looking for super-light
> >> racing use, just some extra bling. With a basic rim like a Velocity
> >> Aerohead

> landotter wrote:
> > Haven't seen the Aerohead drilled fewer than 28, however the Deep-V
> > can go as low as 16! Deep Vs with 24 rear and 18 Front or therebouts
> > will look flashy enough to impress at the coffeeshop. Alex also makes
> > a Deep section rim for very little money, the D-28. $35 and
> > 16,20,24,28 or 32 drillings. Only black, so no funky colors to impress.

> While this is all well and good, I can't help but have a strong distaste
> for DeepV's now that clown bikes are just about ubiquitous in Atlanta:
>
> http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1207/1014320740_cbab4bf261_o.jpg

Faux rivets?

--
Michael Press

landotter wrote:
> I think I saw at least two of the bikes when I visited this spring.
> Thing is, the fewer spokes, the deeper/stronger the rim needs to be.

Yeah. A couple of those goons have Aerospoke plastic wheels on the
front...of their 6-inch wide riser barred track bikes...in the city...in
Atlanta...[thud]

\\paul

VeloJon aka Jon Prestley wrote:
> I've built several sets of "traditional" road wheels, e.g. 32-spoke 3-
> cross patterns that have held up well. Now I want to try a set with
> fewer spokes using bladed spokes, and not looking for super-light
> racing use, just some extra bling. With a basic rim like a Velocity
> Aerohead or Mavic OP, what is the lowest spoke count I can use without
> pushing the envelope?

Citroën Monospoke wheel-set is what you want:
<http://sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive/bianchi-quarter.jpg>.

VeloJon wrote:
> I've built several sets of "traditional" road wheels, e.g. 32-spoke 3-
> cross patterns that have held up well. Now I want to try a set with
> fewer spokes using bladed spokes, and not looking for super-light
> racing use, just some extra bling. With a basic rim like a Velocity
> Aerohead or Mavic OP, what is the lowest spoke count I can use without
> pushing the envelope? I am 150 lbs. Would 24 front/ 28 rear be
> reasonable?

of course. look at the spoke counts on mavic cosmos wheels, mavic
ksyrium wheels, shimano wheels, etc. avoid super-skinny spokes and all
will be well. do not over-tension.

Paul Myron Hobson wrote:
> While this is all well and good, I can't help but have a strong distaste
> for DeepV's now that clown bikes are just about ubiquitous in Atlanta:
> http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1207/1014320740_cbab4bf261_o.jpg

Gee - we built both orange and green fixie Deep V wheels for a customer
in Atlanta.

I wonder?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

VeloJon wrote:
> I've built several sets of "traditional" road wheels, e.g. 32-spoke 3-
> cross patterns that have held up well. Now I want to try a set with
> fewer spokes using bladed spokes, and not looking for super-light
> racing use, just some extra bling. With a basic rim like a Velocity
> Aerohead or Mavic OP, what is the lowest spoke count I can use without
> pushing the envelope? I am 150 lbs. Would 24 front/ 28 rear be
> reasonable?

I wasted a chunk of Monday replacing six spokes in a crashed Eurus
(7+14) rear, ending with a hop midway between spoke groups.

OTOH I rode my ancient 32h front with a broken spoke for ten days until
I had time to repair it - brake didn't rub but the noise of a flailing
spoke was annoying.

48 spokes may be overkill but 32 is a fine and durable spoke count for
medium weight (150lb) riders IMHO. Yes, you can build down to 24 or even
16 with available components but why???
--

On Aug 6, 9:23 am, VeloJon <[email protected]> wrote:
> With a basic rim like a Velocity
> Aerohead or Mavic OP, what is the lowest spoke count I can use without
> pushing the envelope? I am 150 lbs. Would 24 front/ 28 rear be
> reasonable?

Plenty of Nio30s (same profile as Deep V but 120g lighter) with CX-
Rays (very light oval spoke) holding up 160 lb riders with only 18f
and 24r... me included. They aren't babied either. With a shallow and
light rim like the Aerohead you'd want 24f and 28r I think.

VeloJon wrote:

> I've built several sets of "traditional" road wheels, e.g. 32-spoke 3-
> cross patterns that have held up well. Now I want to try a set with
> fewer spokes using bladed spokes, and not looking for super-light
> racing use, just some extra bling.

You know, for bling it's hard to beat 72 spoke wheels.

I had a special run of 72 hole Velocity Deep-Vs made for me, and one
of my friends laced up a pair with DT Revolution 15/17ga spokes, 3
leading 3 trailing pattern. Two whole boxes of spokes! We modified a
SRAM Spectro 7 gearhub with drum brake and an American Classic disc
front hub with 36 holes per flange.

He put them on his 63cm pink Colnago. He weighed about 135 lbs, so he
could probably have gotten by with fewer than 72 spokes per wheel.

Chalo

On Aug 6, 9:23 am, VeloJon <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've built several sets of "traditional" road wheels, e.g. 32-spoke 3-
> cross patterns that have held up well. Now I want to try a set with
> fewer spokes using bladed spokes, and not looking for super-light
> racing use, just some extra bling. With a basic rim like a Velocity
> Aerohead or Mavic OP, what is the lowest spoke count I can use without
> pushing the envelope? I am 150 lbs. Would 24 front/ 28 rear be
> reasonable?

Sure..I have done that for special event wheels on a guy about your
weight. if true 'bladed, may have to slot the hubs.

I used 24-2 cross fron, Revolution spokes on a DT hub and Velocity
Aerohead rim. Rear was 28-3 cross, DT hub, 14/15 right side and
Revolutions left side...on a Velocity Aerohead OC rim. Weighed about
1475 grams..about $750. If you are going to use oval spokes, like
Aerospeeds from DT, remember these are really thin and may not be OK
for the right side rear..OK for the front and left side rear tho.
Pricey too..

On Aug 6, 8:56 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> VeloJon wrote:
> > I've built several sets of "traditional" road wheels, e.g. 32-spoke 3-
> > cross patterns that have held up well. Now I want to try a set with
> > fewer spokes using bladed spokes, and not looking for super-light
> > racing use, just some extra bling. With a basic rim like a Velocity
> > Aerohead or Mavic OP, what is the lowest spoke count I can use without
> > pushing the envelope? I am 150 lbs. Would 24 front/ 28 rear be
> > reasonable?

> of course. look at the spoke counts on mavic cosmos wheels, mavic
> ksyrium wheels, shimano wheels, etc. avoid super-skinny spokes and all
> will be well. do not over-tension.

But also look at the weights of these rims. Not Aerohead light..no
such thing as a free lunch.

On Aug 6, 11:44 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> > landotter wrote:
> >> Haven't seen the Aerohead drilled fewer than 28, however the Deep-V
> >> can go as low as 16! Deep Vs with 24 rear and 18 Front or therebouts
> >> will look flashy enough to impress at the coffeeshop. Alex also makes
> >> a Deep section rim for very little money, the D-28. $35 and
> >> 16,20,24,28 or 32 drillings. Only black, so no funky colors to impress.

> Paul Myron Hobson wrote:
> > While this is all well and good, I can't help but have a strong distaste
> > for DeepV's now that clown bikes are just about ubiquitous in Atlanta:
> >http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1207/1014320740_cbab4bf261_o.jpg

> Gee - we built both orange and green fixie Deep V wheels for a customer
> in Atlanta.
>
> I wonder?
>
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

We did some pink, white and even a brown set...circus bikes
indeed..the new 'cruiser'...

On Aug 6, 11:50 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> VeloJon wrote:
> > I've built several sets of "traditional" road wheels, e.g. 32-spoke 3-
> > cross patterns that have held up well. Now I want to try a set with
> > fewer spokes using bladed spokes, and not looking for super-light
> > racing use, just some extra bling. With a basic rim like a Velocity
> > Aerohead or Mavic OP, what is the lowest spoke count I can use without
> > pushing the envelope? I am 150 lbs. Would 24 front/ 28 rear be
> > reasonable?

> I wasted a chunk of Monday replacing six spokes in a crashed Eurus
> (7+14) rear, ending with a hop midway between spoke groups.

I had a rear that the customer threw the RD into the spokes on a
Eurus..$154 in spokes and 3 hours to relace...Rdiculous!! Why I added
'Tullio' and 1901-1983 to my Campagnolo tattoo...Valentino has gone
round the bend with gadgets.

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:
> On Aug 6, 8:56 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>> VeloJon wrote:
>>> I've built several sets of "traditional" road wheels, e.g. 32-spoke 3-
>>> cross patterns that have held up well. Now I want to try a set with
>>> fewer spokes using bladed spokes, and not looking for super-light
>>> racing use, just some extra bling. With a basic rim like a Velocity
>>> Aerohead or Mavic OP, what is the lowest spoke count I can use without
>>> pushing the envelope? I am 150 lbs. Would 24 front/ 28 rear be
>>> reasonable?

>> of course. look at the spoke counts on mavic cosmos wheels, mavic
>> ksyrium wheels, shimano wheels, etc. avoid super-skinny spokes and all
>> will be well. do not over-tension.

> But also look at the weights of these rims. Not Aerohead light..no
> such thing as a free lunch.

dude, the mavic cosmos rim is just like the open pro. it's 24 spoke.
it handles my lardy ass no problem. thank you.