Spoke count

On Aug 7, 6:42 am, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.comwrote:

> >> of course. look at the spoke counts on mavic cosmos wheels, mavic
> >> ksyrium wheels, shimano wheels, etc. avoid super-skinny spokes and all
> >> will be well. do not over-tension.

> > But also look at the weights of these rims. Not Aerohead light..no
> > such thing as a free lunch.

> dude, the mavic cosmos rim is just like the open pro. it's 24 spoke.
> it handles my lardy ass no problem. thank you.

dude, compared to an Aerohead the ones mentioned are all heavier...

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:
> On Aug 7, 6:42 am, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.comwrote:

>>> But also look at the weights of these rims. Not Aerohead light..no
>>> such thing as a free lunch.

>> dude, the mavic cosmos rim is just like the open pro. it's 24 spoke.
>> it handles my lardy ass no problem. thank you.

> dude, compared to an Aerohead the ones mentioned are all heavier...

so they can handle fewer spokes.

On Aug 7, 7:22 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> > Paul Myron Hobson wrote:
> > > While this is all well and good, I can't help but have a strong distaste
> > > for DeepV's now that clown bikes are just about ubiquitous in Atlanta:
> > >http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1207/1014320740_cbab4bf261_o.jpg

> > Gee - we built both orange and green fixie Deep V wheels for a customer
> > in Atlanta.

> > I wonder?

> > --
> > Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> > Open every day since 1 April, 1971

> We did some pink, white and even a brown set...circus bikes
> indeed..the new 'cruiser'...

Setting up a bike with a bar saddle relationship that puts your ass up
in the air like a horny baboon should prove to be an effective way to
"cruise" some parts of town, for sure.

In article
<[email protected]>,
<[email protected]> wrote:

> > Paul Myron Hobson wrote:
> > > While this is all well and good, I can't help but have a strong distaste
> > > for DeepV's now that clown bikes are just about ubiquitous in Atlanta:
> > >http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1207/1014320740_cbab4bf261_o.jpg

> > Gee - we built both orange and green fixie Deep V wheels for a customer
> > in Atlanta.
> >
> > I wonder?

> We did some pink, white and even a brown set...circus bikes
> indeed..the new 'cruiser'...

Now we know that contrary to appearances the wheels will last.

--
Michael Press

On Aug 7, 12:13 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,

> > > Gee - we built both orange and green fixie Deep V wheels for a customer
> > > in Atlanta.

> > > I wonder?

> > We did some pink, white and even a brown set...circus bikes
> > indeed..the new 'cruiser'...

> Now we know that contrary to appearances the wheels will last.

They're still incomplete without organ music and a monkey

On Aug 7, 11:07 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 7, 7:22 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Gee - we built both orange and green fixie Deep V wheels for a customer
> > > in Atlanta.

> > > I wonder?

> > > --
> > > Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> > > Open every day since 1 April, 1971

> > We did some pink, white and even a brown set...circus bikes
> > indeed..the new 'cruiser'...

> Setting up a bike with a bar saddle relationship that puts your ass up
> in the air like a horny baboon should prove to be an effective way to
> "cruise" some parts of town, for sure.-

Should they call the bike 'Midnight Cowboy'? ;-)

On Aug 7, 1:10 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 7, 11:07 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 7, 7:22 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > We did some pink, white and even a brown set...circus bikes
> > > indeed..the new 'cruiser'...

> > Setting up a bike with a bar saddle relationship that puts your ass up
> > in the air like a horny baboon should prove to be an effective way to
> > "cruise" some parts of town, for sure.-

> Should they call the bike 'Midnight Cowboy'? ;-)

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?...Leather fringe top tube pad for
the deluxe "Voight" model.

In article
<[email protected]>
,
landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Aug 7, 12:13 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> > "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"

> > > We did some pink, white and even a brown set...circus bikes
> > > indeed..the new 'cruiser'...

> > Now we know that contrary to appearances the wheels will last.
> >

> They're still incomplete without organ music and a monkey

Do you have a license for that minkey?

--
Michael Press

http://minkeynet.net/

On Aug 7, 1:44 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 7, 1:10 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Aug 7, 11:07 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Setting up a bike with a bar saddle relationship that puts your ass up
> > > in the air like a horny baboon should prove to be an effective way to
> > > "cruise" some parts of town, for sure.-

> > Should they call the bike 'Midnight Cowboy'? ;-)

> Are you thinking what I'm thinking?...Leather fringe top tube pad for
> the deluxe "Voight" model.-

Bingo!

On Aug 7, 8:44 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 7, 1:10 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Aug 7, 11:07 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Setting up a bike with a bar saddle relationship that puts your ass up
> > > in the air like a horny baboon should prove to be an effective way to
> > > "cruise" some parts of town, for sure.-

> > Should they call the bike 'Midnight Cowboy'? ;-)

> Are you thinking what I'm thinking?...Leather fringe top tube pad for
> the deluxe "Voight" model.

Dude, don't give anybody any ideas!

Joseph

> On Aug 6, 9:23 am, VeloJon <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I've built several sets of "traditional" road wheels, e.g. 32-spoke 3-
>> cross patterns that have held up well. Now I want to try a set with
>> fewer spokes using bladed spokes, and not looking for super-light
>> racing use, just some extra bling. With a basic rim like a Velocity
>> Aerohead or Mavic OP, what is the lowest spoke count I can use without
>> pushing the envelope? I am 150 lbs. Would 24 front/ 28 rear be
>> reasonable?

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:
> Sure..I have done that for special event wheels on a guy about your
> weight. if true 'bladed, may have to slot the hubs.
>
> I used 24-2 cross fron, Revolution spokes on a DT hub and Velocity
> Aerohead rim. Rear was 28-3 cross, DT hub, 14/15 right side and
> Revolutions left side...on a Velocity Aerohead OC rim. Weighed about
> 1475 grams..about $750. If you are going to use oval spokes, like
> Aerospeeds from DT, remember these are really thin and may not be OK
> for the right side rear..OK for the front and left side rear tho.
> Pricey too..

Do you believe aero spokes on a rear wheel, behind turbulence of legs
and bike, do anything much?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

HOLY SMELTER 72 spokes? per wheel?

while not in the act of acquiring exotic cycle parts, my recent
purchase of 2! $11 triple cranksets and a $15 rear deray
notwithstanding, I savor the occasional viewing of $600 wheelsets
insitu.

They wait. they pose. they puff.
I say. wow. lookit that. I count uno dos tres....whatzit?
whatever they're doin', boulevard, serious mitty workouts, GP fanatsy,
I never find, asking questions of it, a hands on this is an owner
built and/or maintained wheelset!
butbutbut when I spoke of it with the LBS, the LBS slaps his head and
sez ah Madrone or MF or ...

On Aug 7, 5:04 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Aug 6, 9:23 am, VeloJon <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I've built several sets of "traditional" road wheels, e.g. 32-spoke 3-
> >> cross patterns that have held up well. Now I want to try a set with
> >> fewer spokes using bladed spokes, and not looking for super-light
> >> racing use, just some extra bling. With a basic rim like a Velocity
> >> Aerohead or Mavic OP, what is the lowest spoke count I can use without
> >> pushing the envelope? I am 150 lbs. Would 24 front/ 28 rear be
> >> reasonable?

> Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.comwrote:
>
> > Sure..I have done that for special event wheels on a guy about your
> > weight. if true 'bladed, may have to slot the hubs.

> > I used 24-2 cross fron, Revolution spokes on a DT hub and Velocity
> > Aerohead rim. Rear was 28-3 cross, DT hub, 14/15 right side and
> > Revolutions left side...on a Velocity Aerohead OC rim. Weighed about
> > 1475 grams..about $750. If you are going to use oval spokes, like
> > Aerospeeds from DT, remember these are really thin and may not be OK
> > for the right side rear..OK for the front and left side rear tho.
> > Pricey too..

> Do you believe aero spokes on a rear wheel, behind turbulence of legs
> and bike, do anything much?
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

sure! creates less turbulence. in fact, ifn yawl cycle in sidewinds
then the spokes are mounted...

landotter? wrote:

> Setting up a bike with a bar saddle relationship that puts your ass up
> in the air like a horny baboon should prove to be an effective way to
> "cruise" some parts of town, for sure.

The only thing the people behind me see is the back of my head (or my
Magic Foam Hat [TM] when I choose to wear it). :)

It does take some getting used to to ride in a group when you can not
tell when the riders in front are pedaling or not.

datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:
> HOLY SMELTER 72 spokes? per wheel?

Hey, I have two (2) bicycles with 36-spoke ISO 305-mm (12-inch) wheels!

Ain't no squirrel fittin' in there no how.

Andrew Muzi wrote:
>> On Aug 6, 9:23 am, VeloJon <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I've built several sets of "traditional" road wheels, e.g. 32-spoke 3-
>>> cross patterns that have held up well. Now I want to try a set with
>>> fewer spokes using bladed spokes, and not looking for super-light
>>> racing use, just some extra bling. With a basic rim like a Velocity
>>> Aerohead or Mavic OP, what is the lowest spoke count I can use without
>>> pushing the envelope? I am 150 lbs. Would 24 front/ 28 rear be
>>> reasonable?

> Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:
>> Sure..I have done that for special event wheels on a guy about your
>> weight. if true 'bladed, may have to slot the hubs.
>>
>> I used 24-2 cross fron, Revolution spokes on a DT hub and Velocity
>> Aerohead rim. Rear was 28-3 cross, DT hub, 14/15 right side and
>> Revolutions left side...on a Velocity Aerohead OC rim. Weighed about
>> 1475 grams..about $750. If you are going to use oval spokes, like
>> Aerospeeds from DT, remember these are really thin and may not be OK
>> for the right side rear..OK for the front and left side rear tho.
>> Pricey too..

> Do you believe aero spokes on a rear wheel, behind turbulence of legs
> and bike, do anything much?

Heck, just buy a cheap roll of clear packing tape and cover the spokes
to make a disc wheel!

I once road with a guy who did exactly that.

On Aug 7, 8:19 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Andrew Muzi wrote:

> > Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.comwrote:
> >> Sure..I have done that for special event wheels on a guy about your
> >> weight. if true 'bladed, may have to slot the hubs.

> >> I used 24-2 cross fron, Revolution spokes on a DT hub and Velocity
> >> Aerohead rim. Rear was 28-3 cross, DT hub, 14/15 right side and
> >> Revolutions left side...on a Velocity Aerohead OC rim. Weighed about
> >> 1475 grams..about $750. If you are going to use oval spokes, like
> >> Aerospeeds from DT, remember these are really thin and may not be OK
> >> for the right side rear..OK for the front and left side rear tho.
> >> Pricey too..

> > Do you believe aero spokes on a rear wheel, behind turbulence of legs
> > and bike, do anything much?

> Heck, just buy a cheap roll of clear packing tape and cover the spokes
> to make a disc wheel!
>
> I once road with a guy who did exactly that.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

cover the spokes with 8 spaced sections dayglo poster paper with air
space be tween so the color pulses as you ride. good for ATL!

On Aug 7, 3:04 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Aug 6, 9:23 am, VeloJon <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I've built several sets of "traditional" road wheels, e.g. 32-spoke 3-
> >> cross patterns that have held up well. Now I want to try a set with
> >> fewer spokes using bladed spokes, and not looking for super-light
> >> racing use, just some extra bling. With a basic rim like a Velocity
> >> Aerohead or Mavic OP, what is the lowest spoke count I can use without
> >> pushing the envelope? I am 150 lbs. Would 24 front/ 28 rear be
> >> reasonable?

> Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.comwrote:
>
> > Sure..I have done that for special event wheels on a guy about your
> > weight. if true 'bladed, may have to slot the hubs.

> > I used 24-2 cross fron, Revolution spokes on a DT hub and Velocity
> > Aerohead rim. Rear was 28-3 cross, DT hub, 14/15 right side and
> > Revolutions left side...on a Velocity Aerohead OC rim. Weighed about
> > 1475 grams..about $750. If you are going to use oval spokes, like
> > Aerospeeds from DT, remember these are really thin and may not be OK
> > for the right side rear..OK for the front and left side rear tho.
> > Pricey too..

> Do you believe aero spokes on a rear wheel, behind turbulence of legs
> and bike, do anything much?
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

No of course not but the guy was asking about bladed type spokes and
ovals for non slotted hubs. I haven't built but maybe 2 or 3 rear
wheels with bladed spokes this year. Never with oval. Too expensive,
too thin, for what ya get.