>>> says the guy that doesn't understand work hardening!
>>>

>> Hint for "jim", if the hardness test (particularly Rockwell) is
>> performed on an improperly prepared surface, the test will not be valid.

> balderdash. you were bleating about work hardening, and getting it
> badly wrong. and here you are strawman bullshitting about surface
> preparation. tom, you're a goddamned lightweight.

>>> dude, you are /hopelessly/ confused. /any/ indentation is subject to
>>> work hardening. casting or forging. period. [and no hubs are cast
>>> btw.] work hardening is not a step function.
>>>

>> So I can run multiple hardness tests on the same location on a piece
>> of metal, and the results will not change between tests?

> you're not running multiple tests, your

"you're"

"jim beam" wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> ok, let me translate: "my privacy trumps your irritation".
>>>

>> I am not irritated at all. I enjoy pointing out the cowardice of
>> hiding behind a sock puppet.

> cowardice??? like you'd say that to my face! i simply choose not to
> play your game. goddamned lightweight.

How could I say anything to your face when you hide behind a sock puppet?

>>> whoa - castings work harden but forgings don't???

>> Did I write that? No.

> you wrote:
> "Meyer hardness would not change with indention depth, since the
> material started out being work hardened".
>
> you clearly don't understand what work hardening is. or meyer hardness
> for that matter. work hardening is a continuous function - it doesn't
> just reach a certain level, then stop.

Did I ever write that work hardening was not a continuous function? No.
"jim" is misrepresenting what I wrote.

> meyer hardness is for the
> projected area of the impression, not just the indenter impression.

No kidding. But Meyer (not "meyer") hardness does not typically change
with indentation depth for a work hardened material, but does change
with indentation depth for an annealed or normalized material.

>> I wrote that the Meyer hardness would not change, not that the
>> material could not be further work hardened. The two are not the same.
>> Learn to read.

> oh, the hypocrisy. you goddamned lightweight.

"jim" has a non-standard definition of hypocrisy it seems.

>>> wtf is it with you
>>> engineers? don't you guys /ever/ pay attention in class??? that's a
>>> classic right up there along with eliminating fatigue from a material
>>> with no endurance limit!
>>>

>> Ibid.

> see above.

>>> you want a sock puppet to do that? come on tom, that's too lightweight,
>>> even for you.

>> You are the one who brought God into the discussion, "jim".
>>

> so you really /do/ want a sock puppet to theologize for you??? what a
> goddamned lightweight!

So why did you bring God (not "god") into the discussion, "jim"?

"jim beam" wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> says the guy that doesn't understand work hardening!
>>>

>> Hint for "jim", if the hardness test (particularly Rockwell) is
>> performed on an improperly prepared surface, the test will not be valid.

> balderdash. you were bleating about work hardening, and getting it
> badly wrong. and here you are strawman bullshitting about surface
> preparation. tom, you're a goddamned lightweight.

Oh no, "jim" is resorting to insults again.

>>> dude, you are /hopelessly/ confused. /any/ indentation is subject to
>>> work hardening. casting or forging. period. [and no hubs are cast
>>> btw.] work hardening is not a step function.
>>>

>> So I can run multiple hardness tests on the same location on a piece
>> of metal, and the results will not change between tests?

> you're not running multiple tests, your proving that under increasing
> load, the indenter impression continues to deepen. goddamned lightweight.

Why is "jim" imagining what I am doing? Weird.

>>> it's a more clinical form of "lightweight".

>> gene does a better job of mangling English, since his distortions are
>> deliberate.
>>

> so are mine - goddamned lightweight.

Yes, but gene's distortions are funny, "jim's" are not.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> "jim beam" wrote:
>> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> I am not irritated at all. I enjoy pointing out the cowardice of
>>> hiding behind a sock puppet.

>> cowardice??? like you'd say that to my face! i simply choose not to
>> play your game. goddamned lightweight.
>>

> How could I say anything to your face when you hide behind a sock puppet?

saying it to a sock puppet sure makes it easier for you tom! trust me
on that.

you wrote:

"In the case of a forged hub, the Meyer hardness would not change
with indention depth, since the material started out being work
hardened. For a cast hub flange, the Meyer hardness would
continually increase as the test load was increased due to the cold
working of the material."

so you specifically state that the forged hub will not experience
additional work hardening, in contrast to the cast hub which will.

1. there are no cast hubs.
2. BOTH materials work harden.
3. they work harden continuously!

you clearly don't understand deformation. or if that's not what you
meant to say, then re-state it, don't accuse me of "misrepresenting"
your words which quite plainly show your misunderstanding.

>> meyer hardness is for the projected area of the impression, not just
>> the indenter impression.
>>

> No kidding. But Meyer (not "meyer") hardness does not typically change
> with indentation depth for a work hardened material, but does change
> with indentation depth for an annealed or normalized material.

clueless idiot!!! work hardening is a continuous function!

>>> I wrote that the Meyer hardness would not change, not that the
>>> material could not be further work hardened. The two are not the
>>> same. Learn to read.

>> oh, the hypocrisy. you goddamned lightweight.
>>

> "jim" has a non-standard definition of hypocrisy it seems.

lightweight idiot that doesn't understand basic testing procedure!

>>> Ibid.

>> see above.

>>> You are the one who brought God into the discussion, "jim".
>>>

>> so you really /do/ want a sock puppet to theologize for you??? what a
>> goddamned lightweight!

> So why did you bring God (not "god") into the discussion, "jim"?

eh?

if you spent less time allowing people to have fun needling you with
sock puppets and theology, maybe you could open one of the old text
books you bought but never read and figure out how hardness testing
really works.

or you can be a clueless, easily goaded lightweight forever. much more
enjoyable for me that way!

[signal/noise tom. you should think about it.]

Tom Sherman wrote:
> "jim beam" wrote:
>> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> Hint for "jim", if the hardness test (particularly Rockwell) is
>>> performed on an improperly prepared surface, the test will not be valid.

>> balderdash. you were bleating about work hardening, and getting it
>> badly wrong. and here you are strawman bullshitting about surface
>> preparation. tom, you're a goddamned lightweight.
>>

> Oh no, "jim" is resorting to insults again.

>>> So I can run multiple hardness tests on the same location on a piece
>>> of metal, and the results will not change between tests?

>> you're not running multiple tests, your proving that under increasing
>> load, the indenter impression continues to deepen. goddamned
>> lightweight.
>>

> Why is "jim" imagining what I am doing? Weird.

>>> gene does a better job of mangling English, since his distortions are
>>> deliberate.
>>>

>> so are mine - goddamned lightweight.

> Yes, but gene's distortions are funny, "jim's" are not.

this is not your best work tom. [but what is?]

clueless goddamned lightweight

-much snip-
Tom Sherman wrote:
> Yes, but gene's distortions are funny, "jim's" are not.

Any guru or oracle worth his salt writes with both strong imagery and
ambiguity.
Like Gene.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

"jim beam" wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> cowardice??? like you'd say that to my face! i simply choose not to
>>> play your game. goddamned lightweight.
>>>

>> How could I say anything to your face when you hide behind a sock puppet?

> saying it to a sock puppet sure makes it easier for you tom! trust me
> on that.

Big talk for a sock puppet, eh?

>>> you wrote:
>>> "Meyer hardness would not change with indention depth, since the
>>> material started out being work hardened".
>>>
>>> you clearly don't understand what work hardening is. or meyer
>>> hardness for that matter. work hardening is a continuous function -
>>> it doesn't just reach a certain level, then stop.

>> Did I ever write that work hardening was not a continuous function?
>> No. "jim" is misrepresenting what I wrote.

> you wrote:
>
> "In the case of a forged hub, the Meyer hardness would not change
> with indention depth, since the material started out being work
> hardened. For a cast hub flange, the Meyer hardness would
> continually increase as the test load was increased due to the cold
> working of the material."
>
> so you specifically state that the forged hub will not experience
> additional work hardening, in contrast to the cast hub which will.

No, I did NOT say that the forged hub would not experience more work
hardening, simply that Meyer hardness would not vary significantly with
test load. Duh.

> 1. there are no cast hubs.

Citation? Not even the cheap ones?

> 2. BOTH materials work harden.

How much does the spoke work harden during spoke squeezing?

> 3. they work harden continuously!

Did I write that they did not?

> you clearly don't understand deformation. or if that's not what you
> meant to say, then re-state it, don't accuse me of "misrepresenting"
> your words which quite plainly show your misunderstanding.

I did not say anything. If "jim" stops misrepresenting what I wrote, I
will stop saying that "jim" is misrepresenting what I wrote.

>>> meyer hardness is for the projected area of the impression, not just
>>> the indenter impression.
>>>

>> No kidding. But Meyer (not "meyer") hardness does not typically change
>> with indentation depth for a work hardened material, but does change
>> with indentation depth for an annealed or normalized material.

> clueless idiot!!! work hardening is a continuous function!

I was referring to Meyer hardness measurement, not whether or not work
hardening is a continuous function.

>>> oh, the hypocrisy. you goddamned lightweight.
>>>

>> "jim" has a non-standard definition of hypocrisy it seems.

> lightweight idiot that doesn't understand basic testing procedure!

And "jim" does not comprehend written English.

>>> see above.

>>> so you really /do/ want a sock puppet to theologize for you??? what
>>> a goddamned lightweight!

>> So why did you bring God (not "god") into the discussion, "jim"?
>>

> eh?

Who mentioned God first (hint, not me)?

> if you spent less time allowing people to have fun needling you with
> sock puppets and theology, maybe you could open one of the old text
> books you bought but never read and figure out how hardness testing
> really works.
>
> or you can be a clueless, easily goaded lightweight forever. much more
> enjoyable for me that way!
>
> [signal/noise tom. you should think about it.]

Hey, I am just working to entertain Andres Muro and annoy "jim beam". ;)

Andrew Muzi wrote:
> -much snip-

Indeed.

> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> Yes, but gene's distortions are funny, "jim's" are not.

> Any guru or oracle worth his salt writes with both strong imagery and
> ambiguity.
> Like Gene.

gene is a genius!

"jim beam" wrote:
> [...]
>
> this is not your best work tom. [but what is?]

Here is a hint "jim" - if it gets sealed with a stamp I take it
seriously [1]. If I am arguing with a sock puppet on Usenet, I do not.

[1] As I am legally liable.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> "jim beam" wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> this is not your best work tom. [but what is?]
>>

> Here is a hint "jim" - if it gets sealed with a stamp I take it
> seriously [1]. If I am arguing with a sock puppet on Usenet, I do not.
>
> [1] As I am legally liable.

you're legally liable for junkmail??? [oh dear, i'm getting sucked into
the lightweight vortex of trivial response-compulsive ********......]

you're a clueless lightweight idiot tom.

"jim beam" wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> "jim beam" wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> this is not your best work tom. [but what is?]
>>>

>> Here is a hint "jim" - if it gets sealed with a stamp I take it
>> seriously [1]. If I am arguing with a sock puppet on Usenet, I do not.
>>
>> [1] As I am legally liable.
>>

> you're legally liable for junkmail??? [oh dear, i'm getting sucked into
> the lightweight vortex of trivial response-compulsive ********......]

W H O O S H !

I believe this answers Frank Krygowski's question in the negative - "jim
beam" does NOT have a stamp to seal deliverables.

Here is a hint for "jim":
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=professional+stamps&btnG=Google+Search>.

By the way, I have never seen junk mail sealed with a stamp, or even
postage paid with a stamp. "jim" must be clueless if he has not noticed
that junk mail is sent without postage stamps, and is only metered when
sent in relatively small batches.

> you're a clueless lightweight idiot tom.

So "jim", do you have any professional registrations?

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> "jim beam" wrote:
> > Tom Sherman wrote:

> >> Here is a hint "jim" - if it gets sealed with a stamp I take it
> >> seriously [1]. If I am arguing with a sock puppet on Usenet, I do
> >> not.
> >>
> >> [1] As I am legally liable.
> >>

> > you're legally liable for junkmail??? [oh dear, i'm getting sucked
> > into the lightweight vortex of trivial response-compulsive
> > ********......]
> >

> W H O O S H !
>
> I believe this answers Frank Krygowski's question in the negative -
> "jim beam" does NOT have a stamp to seal deliverables.
>
> Here is a hint for "jim":
> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=professional+stamps&btnG=Google+
> Search>.
>
> By the way, I have never seen junk mail sealed with a stamp, or even
> postage paid with a stamp. "jim" must be clueless if he has not
> noticed that junk mail is sent without postage stamps, and is only
> metered when sent in relatively small batches.
>
> > you're a clueless lightweight idiot tom.

> So "jim", do you have any professional registrations?

Probably not. He clearly could not pass the tests for licensure.

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> you're legally liable for junkmail??? [oh dear, i'm getting sucked
>>> into the lightweight vortex of trivial response-compulsive
>>> ********......]
>>>

>> W H O O S H !
>>
>> I believe this answers Frank Krygowski's question in the negative -
>> "jim beam" does NOT have a stamp to seal deliverables.
>>
>> Here is a hint for "jim":
>> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=professional+stamps&btnG=Google+
>> Search>.
>>
>> By the way, I have never seen junk mail sealed with a stamp, or even
>> postage paid with a stamp. "jim" must be clueless if he has not
>> noticed that junk mail is sent without postage stamps, and is only
>> metered when sent in relatively small batches.
>>
>>> you're a clueless lightweight idiot tom.

>> So "jim", do you have any professional registrations?

> Probably not. He clearly could not pass the tests for licensure.

That would explain the resentment, eh?