spoke fatigue troll

On 2008-04-29, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ben C wrote:
>> On 2008-04-28, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Well my hypothesis (which perhaps you don't regard as plausible :) is
>> that this bedding in reduces the bending moment on the spoke.
>>
>> It doesn't matter whether the spoke bends or the hub deforms. The result
>> is a spoke closer to the flange so less moment.
>>
>>> Bottom line is that the deformation, both the majority that comes from
>>> initial tension as well as whatever smaller contribution that may come
>>> from over loading, doesn't predict the direction or degree of bending
>>> stress in the tensioned spoke.

>> I don't understand what you're saying here. Surely for all spokes the
>> effect of hub deformation is going to be to reduce moment on the elbow?

> No. Hole deformation will change the elbow support angle slightly. It
> will always enlarge the angle, if the angle was too big to begin with,
> it will increase the moment.

I'm not sure the elbow support angle is the important thing to measure
here, but the perpendicular length of unsupported spoke.

It seems to me that will always get shorter as you are crushing the
fulcrum the spoke is bearing against.

> If the angle was initially too small, the
> angle may be improved, but there still may be a bending stress.

I think there will _always_ be a bending stress unless you've got a
straight pull spoke. So long as it's small enough you're OK though.

>>> As I said before, these threads have gone through an evolution that
>>> began with a denial of the presence of residual stress and have morphed
>>> into a grudging admission with the dismissal for irrelevance. Residual
>>> stresses are present, they may or may not be a factor in any given spoke
>>> failure, but that's impossible to know without knowing all the operating
>>> stresses. No postmortem is going to tell you whether the failure was
>>> caused by a raiser, bending stress, residuals or any combination
>>> thereof.

>> You would expect to see more failures starting in the regions of tensile
>> residual stress (i.e. inside of inbound spokes) if residual stress from
>> manufacturing is a factor.
>>
>> There are other factors of course, but there ought to be a statistical
>> bias.

> Who says there is or isn't? If spokes are bowed at the flange and the
> spoke line is not corrected, the bending forces introduced as the spoke
> is tensioned will swamp any residual stresses.

Exactly.

> Those spokes will generally fail at the outside of the bend. There are
> those who refuse to correct a bad spoke line then cite these failures
> as evidence of the irrelevance of residual stress. It's comical,
> really.

Well I don't know who you're talking about there.

>> [...]
>>> These (endless) arguments follow the same pattern. Something is taken
>>> out of context and a straw man is created. Like spoke tension and wheel
>>> strength. The FEA leaves no doubt about what happens when a wheel is
>>> overloaded, it doesn't matter that an unspoked rim will support body
>>> weight without collapsing, the loads we're talking about are the several
>>> g's that happen when the wheel hits a pothole, that's when strength
>>> becomes important. Normally tensioned wheels loose spoke tension at
>>> about the same magnitude of deflection as rim damage starts, looser
>>> tension will mean impact damage will happen earlier. As the loaded area
>>> of the rim becomes slack, the rim looses lateral stiffness while still
>>> under compression and therefore is susceptible to buckling.

>> I follow your account of that. But I reserve judgment on whether a
>> tightly spoked wheel's rim may yield before its spokes go slack.

> Jobst did an FEA. It's in the book. A similar FEA is here:
> http://www.astounding.org.uk/ian/wheel/3c_rim.html
>
> A loaded spoked wheel doesn't deform into a uniform oval, it develops a
> flat spot. As the length of the flat spot grows (with increasing load)
> the bending stress on the rim increases. When that stress reaches a
> critical value the bend is permanent. The rate at which the flat spot
> grows with load is related to the initial spoke tension.

Yes, I know, and I am familiar with Ian's FEA.

> That's it. That you can ride around on a loosely spoked wheel doesn't
> say anything about what happens when it meets a pothole.

I don't think it's so easy to predict what happens when you meet a
pot-hole.

[...]
>>> When several sources are found that confirm the anodization fatigue
>>> connection, all that is dismissed with talk of anisotropy and
>>> extrusion flaws -- factors (obviously) still there whether anodization
>>> is or is not.

>> That is a much harder one to call. Some of these debates can be well
>> understood with basic mechanics and understanding of stress/strain and
>> S-N curves, which are simplified macroscopic views of how materials
>> behave.
>>
>> But the effects of anisotropy and anodization on fatigue life is getting
>> much deeper into the structure of metals. Yes we know in the most
>> general terms they both can be factors but that's a long way from
>> understanding it enough to know how to apply it to bicycle rims.

> Nonsense. The "defenses" of anodizing boil down to an assertion that the
> rim extrusions are so crappy that it doesn't matter if they take an
> additional reliability hit from anodizing.

Well, you can put it like that, but that could be misleading.

Designing something like a rim is an optimization problem with
constraints on things like strength, fatigue life, stiffness, weight,
cost and parameters like choice of alloy, shape of extrusion, whether
you anodize.

It won't necessarily be possible to get on the limits of all the
constraints: there may be more constraints than parameters.

It's rather like the recent discussion of forks: for aluminium forks the
fatigue constraint probably dominates, for steel forks, strength, or
resistance to crumpling or getting dented.

So, it may be that the best way to make a rim to satisfy all the other
requirements leaves it just on the limit of fatigue due to anisotropy.
If that were the case then it wouldn't do any harm to anodize it.

Understanding how to design something like that and making educated
guesses which are likely to be the dominant factors _does_ involve
understanding the materials properly.

There is also the evidence that the cracks tend to be oriented on the
path along which the rim was extruded. Now some people have suggested
anodizing could cause a crack to start and then hoop stress or
anisotrophy cause it to propagate on that path. Unforgiven98, on the
other hand, who seems to know what he is talking about, has said that
anodizing and anistropy do not work together ("collude" I think was the
term).

Finally just because anodizing causes fatigue in some applications it
doesn't follow that it does in all. I'm sure there's more too it--
different kinds of anodizing, what sort of aluminium you're using, etc.

> If you have to derate spoke tension below what all the other wheel
> components can tolerate just to prevent socket cracking then you've
> just got weak sockets. Of course if you don't understand the benefit
> of high spoke tension you don't think you've given anything up.

I think there's a similar sort of balance there too.

On Apr 29, 2:52 pm, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:

> Again, if you haven't read the book then you don't have a leg to stand
> on. You're just repeating a misquote. Jobst (correctly) refers people to
> his book. That's the "advice" you should take. The "details" don't get
> "lost" if you buy the book.

Strictly speaking, you don't have to buy the book. If, that is,
you're afraid of contributing money to Jobst's nefarious plan to
dominate the world, starting with its bicycle wheels.

Just go to your library. If they don't have _The Bicycle Wheel_, they
can get it through interlibrary loan.

But Peter's right. It's a bit silly to join arguments about what the
book contains if you haven't bothered to read it.

- Frank Krygowski

On 2008-04-30, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 29, 2:52 pm, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>> Again, if you haven't read the book then you don't have a leg to stand
>> on. You're just repeating a misquote. Jobst (correctly) refers people to
>> his book. That's the "advice" you should take. The "details" don't get
>> "lost" if you buy the book.

> Strictly speaking, you don't have to buy the book. If, that is,
> you're afraid of contributing money to Jobst's nefarious plan to
> dominate the world, starting with its bicycle wheels.
>
> Just go to your library. If they don't have _The Bicycle Wheel_, they
> can get it through interlibrary loan.
>
> But Peter's right. It's a bit silly to join arguments about what the
> book contains if you haven't bothered to read it.

I agree, that would be silly.

Ben C wrote:
> On 2008-04-29, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:

>> No. Hole deformation will change the elbow support angle slightly. It
>> will always enlarge the angle, if the angle was too big to begin with,
>> it will increase the moment.

> I'm not sure the elbow support angle is the important thing to measure
> here, but the perpendicular length of unsupported spoke.
>
> It seems to me that will always get shorter as you are crushing the
> fulcrum the spoke is bearing against.
>
>> If the angle was initially too small, the
>> angle may be improved, but there still may be a bending stress.

Picture a 4" nail driven half way into a wooden wall. Hang a weight from
it. There are 2 forces, shear & moment. If you hang the weight closer to
the wall, the moment goes down (eventually to zero) while the shear
remains constant.

If the weight is very close to the wall, and very heavy, the wood will
crush from shear and the nail will sag. If the nail is flexible enough
it will bend also, the bend being inside the wall surface.

If you started with the weight further from the wall, the nail would
bend outside of the wall surface, too.

If you replace the straight nail with one bent to a (downward) 90 degree
angle, flush to the wall and hang a weight, the shear crushes the wood,
the nail droops and the weight tries to open up the bent nail. Moving
the nail out from the wall does the same, but also tries to bend the
nail on the (nearly) horizontal section.

What we're seeing in this model is a new radius of curvature trying to
form inboard of the existing one. The forces are trying to create a new
bend and straighten the old one. The bigger this distance from where the
bend is to where "it wants to be", the larger the forces become. The
crushing of the material only moves the radius of curvature inward,
increasing that distance and those forces.

An angular mismatch (elbow angle to spoke line angle) will cause bending
stress at the elbow, the direction can be either way, depending on the
direction of the mismatch. Generally, the worse mismatch is for outbound
spokes, where the spoke line angle is smaller than the elbow angle. This
is evidenced by the bowing of the spoke away from the flange. Too long
elbows cause a bending stress inboard of the elbow bend. Hub hole
deformation will help or hurt in the first case, but will only hurt in
the second.

> I think there will _always_ be a bending stress unless you've got a
> straight pull spoke. So long as it's small enough you're OK though.

The bending stress for hooked spokes can be made small enough for
reliability if the wheel is built properly. That is clear from my (and
countless others) experience. Straight pull spokes don't so much solve
the problem as move it around. Heads become the problem spot rather than
elbows.

>> Those spokes will generally fail at the outside of the bend. There are
>> those who refuse to correct a bad spoke line then cite these failures
>> as evidence of the irrelevance of residual stress. It's comical,
>> really.

> Well I don't know who you're talking about there.

Check the archives.

>> A loaded spoked wheel doesn't deform into a uniform oval, it develops a
>> flat spot. As the length of the flat spot grows (with increasing load)
>> the bending stress on the rim increases. When that stress reaches a
>> critical value the bend is permanent. The rate at which the flat spot
>> grows with load is related to the initial spoke tension.

> Yes, I know, and I am familiar with Ian's FEA.
>
>> That's it. That you can ride around on a loosely spoked wheel doesn't
>> say anything about what happens when it meets a pothole.

> I don't think it's so easy to predict what happens when you meet a
> pot-hole.

Since a wheel stands on its spokes, strong spokes make a strong wheel. A
slack spoke is the same as a missing spoke. If the FEA's don't predict
what happens in an overload, what does?

>> Nonsense. The "defenses" of anodizing boil down to an assertion that the
>> rim extrusions are so crappy that it doesn't matter if they take an
>> additional reliability hit from anodizing.

> Well, you can put it like that, but that could be misleading.
>
> Designing something like a rim is an optimization problem with
> constraints on things like strength, fatigue life, stiffness, weight,
> cost and parameters like choice of alloy, shape of extrusion, whether
> you anodize.

Sure, engineering 101, but if a device has early failure, in normal
operation, in a singular mode, it's been badly optimized.

One of my cars eats head gaskets, the other one doesn't. One cracks
suspension springs, the other one doesn't. Both have similar engines and
curb weights. Predictably, the manufacturers attempt to blame the victim
(poor maintenance, excessive loads, etc.), but this doesn't hold up when
you consider that similar vehicles exposed to the same conditions don't
have the same failure rates. The thing that prevents recognition of the
true causes is that usually it's only the manufacturers who know what
the actual rates are. Manufacturing defects are understood, so are the
necessary margins needed to reduce them to tolerable limits. When car
motors or suspensions fail catastrophically in high percentages, it
means somebody has screwed up. Anybody who has worked in engineering can
tell stories about this for hours. Usually, the screw up was either bad
original engineering or good engineering turned bad by
economics/marketing driven compromises. Those of us who take
professional pride in our capabilities take a very dim view of both of
those problems and are not inclined to look favorably on the apologists
for them, particularly if they blame the victim, often (literally)
adding insult to injury. The obvious irony here (rbt) is that it always
seems to be the engineers who blame the engineering, while the
non-engineers blame the users.

On 2008-04-30, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ben C wrote:
>> On 2008-04-29, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> No. Hole deformation will change the elbow support angle slightly. It
>>> will always enlarge the angle, if the angle was too big to begin with,
>>> it will increase the moment.

>> I'm not sure the elbow support angle is the important thing to measure
>> here, but the perpendicular length of unsupported spoke.
>>
>> It seems to me that will always get shorter as you are crushing the
>> fulcrum the spoke is bearing against.
>>
>>> If the angle was initially too small, the
>>> angle may be improved, but there still may be a bending stress.

> Picture a 4" nail driven half way into a wooden wall. Hang a weight from
> it. There are 2 forces, shear & moment. If you hang the weight closer to
> the wall, the moment goes down (eventually to zero) while the shear
> remains constant.
>
> If the weight is very close to the wall, and very heavy, the wood will
> crush from shear and the nail will sag. If the nail is flexible enough
> it will bend also, the bend being inside the wall surface.
>
> If you started with the weight further from the wall, the nail would
> bend outside of the wall surface, too.
>
> If you replace the straight nail with one bent to a (downward) 90 degree
> angle, flush to the wall and hang a weight, the shear crushes the wood,
> the nail droops and the weight tries to open up the bent nail. Moving
> the nail out from the wall does the same, but also tries to bend the
> nail on the (nearly) horizontal section.
>
> What we're seeing in this model is a new radius of curvature trying to
> form inboard of the existing one. The forces are trying to create a new
> bend and straighten the old one.

OK, I follow you so far.

> The bigger this distance from where the bend is to where "it wants to
> be", the larger the forces become.

The shear force is always constant. But yes, the bigger the distance the
bigger the moment. I would measure the moment as the perpendicular
distance from the line of force (i.e. the straight part of the spoke) to
the nearest point to that line on the hub where it's supported.

> The crushing of the material only moves the radius of curvature
> inward, increasing that distance and those forces.
>
> An angular mismatch (elbow angle to spoke line angle) will cause
> bending stress at the elbow, the direction can be either way,
> depending on the direction of the mismatch. Generally, the worse
> mismatch is for outbound spokes, where the spoke line angle is smaller
> than the elbow angle. This is evidenced by the bowing of the spoke
> away from the flange. Too long elbows cause a bending stress inboard
> of the elbow bend. Hub hole deformation will help or hurt in the first
> case, but will only hurt in the second.

Thinking of the nail in the case where you pull it at an angle greater
than that of its original bend, the original bend will open up as the
new bend forms. The more the wall crushes while you're doing this the
larger the final angle on both ends. If the wall crushes it also means
the old bend moves towards the wall more quickly as you pull.

But I can't see that any of that matters.

The part of the spoke that's embedded inside the hub doesn't matter.
It's supported. It doesn't matter what the angle on its elbow is.

>> I think there will _always_ be a bending stress unless you've got a
>> straight pull spoke. So long as it's small enough you're OK though.

> The bending stress for hooked spokes can be made small enough for
> reliability if the wheel is built properly. That is clear from my (and
> countless others) experience.

Agreed.

> Straight pull spokes don't so much solve the problem as move it
> around. Heads become the problem spot rather than elbows.

Interesting-- are you saying you get fatigue at the heads because
they're stress risers or something?

[...]
>>> Nonsense. The "defenses" of anodizing boil down to an assertion that the
>>> rim extrusions are so crappy that it doesn't matter if they take an
>>> additional reliability hit from anodizing.

>> Well, you can put it like that, but that could be misleading.
>>
>> Designing something like a rim is an optimization problem with
>> constraints on things like strength, fatigue life, stiffness, weight,
>> cost and parameters like choice of alloy, shape of extrusion, whether
>> you anodize.

> Sure, engineering 101, but if a device has early failure, in normal
> operation, in a singular mode, it's been badly optimized.
>
> One of my cars eats head gaskets, the other one doesn't. One cracks
> suspension springs, the other one doesn't. Both have similar engines and
> curb weights. Predictably, the manufacturers attempt to blame the victim
> (poor maintenance, excessive loads, etc.), but this doesn't hold up when
> you consider that similar vehicles exposed to the same conditions don't
> have the same failure rates. The thing that prevents recognition of the
> true causes is that usually it's only the manufacturers who know what
> the actual rates are. Manufacturing defects are understood, so are the
> necessary margins needed to reduce them to tolerable limits. When car
> motors or suspensions fail catastrophically in high percentages, it
> means somebody has screwed up. Anybody who has worked in engineering can
> tell stories about this for hours. Usually, the screw up was either bad
> original engineering or good engineering turned bad by
> economics/marketing driven compromises. Those of us who take
> professional pride in our capabilities take a very dim view of both of
> those problems and are not inclined to look favorably on the apologists
> for them, particularly if they blame the victim, often (literally)
> adding insult to injury.

I share the dim view. Next time get a Japanese car :)

> The obvious irony here (rbt) is that it always seems to be the
> engineers who blame the engineering, while the non-engineers blame the
> users.

A wheel-builder is not exactly a user. It would be reasonable for Mavic
to say to someone it's your fault your rim cracked because you used too
much tension.

Ben C wrote:
> On 2008-04-30, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Picture a 4" nail driven half way into a wooden wall. Hang a weight from
>> it. There are 2 forces, shear & moment. If you hang the weight closer to
>> the wall, the moment goes down (eventually to zero) while the shear
>> remains constant.

> Thinking of the nail in the case where you pull it at an angle greater
> than that of its original bend, the original bend will open up as the
> new bend forms. The more the wall crushes while you're doing this the
> larger the final angle on both ends. If the wall crushes it also means
> the old bend moves towards the wall more quickly as you pull.
>
> But I can't see that any of that matters.
>
> The part of the spoke that's embedded inside the hub doesn't matter.
> It's supported. It doesn't matter what the angle on its elbow is.

The point it that it's not really supported if it crushes. That allows
the spoke to bend there. If the hole didn't deform, the peak stress for
the cantilever load would be right at the hole's edge. As the hole
deforms, the peak stress must move inward (some amount) effectively
increasing the moment (overhang). Hole deformation, by itself would seem
to increase fatigue, not reduce it.

>>> I think there will _always_ be a bending stress unless you've got a
>>> straight pull spoke. So long as it's small enough you're OK though.

>> The bending stress for hooked spokes can be made small enough for
>> reliability if the wheel is built properly. That is clear from my (and
>> countless others) experience.

> Agreed.
>
>> Straight pull spokes don't so much solve the problem as move it
>> around. Heads become the problem spot rather than elbows.

> Interesting-- are you saying you get fatigue at the heads because
> they're stress risers or something?

They may be, Peter White seems to think so, preferring the smoother head
transition of Wheelsmith spokes to DT's. But, in any case, heads are
cold formed, so there will be residual stresses there too. It's
interesting to think about how much of the spoke tension actually gets
to the head. The relative bend radius and spoke radius would seem to
restrict much of the spoke tension from getting there. A flexible cable
bending over a large radius would transmit all its tension to the anchor
point, but a spoke is far from that. With a straight pull spoke all the
tension would go to the head.

>> One of my cars eats head gaskets, the other one doesn't.

> I share the dim view. Next time get a Japanese car :)

I've had those, and German, and Swedish, and Italian. US doesn't have a
monopoly on bad engineering, although they may have the lead.

>> The obvious irony here (rbt) is that it always seems to be the
>> engineers who blame the engineering, while the non-engineers blame the
>> users.

> A wheel-builder is not exactly a user. It would be reasonable for Mavic
> to say to someone it's your fault your rim cracked because you used too
> much tension.

Perhaps, but I'd have more sympathy if they didn't hide their max
tension specs behind password-protected web sites. But this presumes the
guilt of the builder. Who's to say that the spoke bed failures were the
result of over-tension -- OK, rhetorical question, we know who. The real
question is whether the spoke bed failures that have been reported were
a result of out-of-spec tension -- I doubt we'll ever know.

What Keith Bontrager said (over 9 years ago on rbt):
http://tinyurl.com/6sx5nz

"With Open 4 and Open Pro sections this might no longer be a good idea.
In those sections Mavic has taken the extrusion process a little
farther. Many of the walls are thinner (though the actual spoke bed is
thick) and the section is "larger" for a given rim weight. Even though
they are socketed (double eyelets), many of the failures I observe in
shop recycling bins are due to spoke bed failures, usually drive side
rear spokes. "

"But that's the design compromise that makes the newer rims a little
different than the older style, thicker wall rim. It raises the short
term performance characteristics at the cost of fatigue strength (and
brake wall wear replacement intervals). "

"If you make the walls of the rim continuously thinner and the section
larger it's clear that, at some point,you can't ignore spoke bed loads
and subsequent fatigue failures, even with reinforcement schemes.
That's the point at which these rims are."

Re MTB rims (but applicable):

"They are not that many riders who really NEED them though. A heavier
rim with thicker walls is easier for everyone to deal with in almost
every respect, is stronger on the trail, and lasts longer too. The
difference in performance to a recreational rider between a 450g + rim
and a 400 gram rim is small but the difference in durability on the
trail is big."

Perhaps the final word:

"Of course, the light section rims also make wheels that are more
attractive and easier to sell, so most popular rims are that way. These
are the only ones that get attention from the press as well.."

Comment on sockets:

"The sockets are fit into the rim and require (due to mounting
requirements and tolerance accumulation) some deflection of the rim
inner walls to bear much of the load. The cups are also not shaped very
well to support the load."

The basic point he makes is that these rims aren't designed to be
durable and may be actually intended/known to fatigue before they wear
out. All of this to shave a few grams (and perhaps make them pretty).
He's a guy who sells rims, so he ought to know.

On 2008-04-30, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ben C wrote:
>> On 2008-04-30, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Picture a 4" nail driven half way into a wooden wall. Hang a weight from
>>> it. There are 2 forces, shear & moment. If you hang the weight closer to
>>> the wall, the moment goes down (eventually to zero) while the shear
>>> remains constant.

>> Thinking of the nail in the case where you pull it at an angle greater
>> than that of its original bend, the original bend will open up as the
>> new bend forms. The more the wall crushes while you're doing this the
>> larger the final angle on both ends. If the wall crushes it also means
>> the old bend moves towards the wall more quickly as you pull.
>>
>> But I can't see that any of that matters.
>>
>> The part of the spoke that's embedded inside the hub doesn't matter.
>> It's supported. It doesn't matter what the angle on its elbow is.

> The point it that it's not really supported if it crushes. That allows
> the spoke to bend there. If the hole didn't deform, the peak stress for
> the cantilever load would be right at the hole's edge. As the hole
> deforms, the peak stress must move inward (some amount) effectively
> increasing the moment (overhang). Hole deformation, by itself would seem
> to increase fatigue, not reduce it.

OK, well I think I understand what you're saying now. But as the hole
deforms, the spoke is still touching the sides of the hole all the way
to the edge, so it's not clear that it's bending about any point except
where it leaves the hole.

Unless it's starting to behave a bit like a cable wrapped around a
cylinder, where the point it's bending around is effectively moving
continuously as it bends. It's probably good if it is doing that since
the result will be that the load is distributed over a larger area.

>>> The bending stress for hooked spokes can be made small enough for
>>> reliability if the wheel is built properly. That is clear from my (and
>>> countless others) experience.

>> Agreed.
>>
>>> Straight pull spokes don't so much solve the problem as move it
>>> around. Heads become the problem spot rather than elbows.

>> Interesting-- are you saying you get fatigue at the heads because
>> they're stress risers or something?

> They may be, Peter White seems to think so, preferring the smoother head
> transition of Wheelsmith spokes to DT's.

Yes I remember reading something about that-- the heads were popping off
some spokes I think.

> But, in any case, heads are cold formed, so there will be residual
> stresses there too. It's interesting to think about how much of the
> spoke tension actually gets to the head. The relative bend radius and
> spoke radius would seem to restrict much of the spoke tension from
> getting there. A flexible cable bending over a large radius would
> transmit all its tension to the anchor point, but a spoke is far from
> that. With a straight pull spoke all the tension would go to the head.

A herring I raised in a thread long ago was about how well supported the
spoke was in the hub hole. If the hub hole doesn't deform much at all
(steel hub for example) then the edge of it is probably digging into the
spoke somewhere and that's where all the force is concentrated. If
they're deformed together nicely then the situation is a little bit more
like a cable wrapped around a cylinder. You might get some force going
all the way to the head, but in any case, the force is spread over a
greater area, so less stress.

I was speculating that this might be a benefit of putting oil on the
elbows as Gene does.

[...]
>> A wheel-builder is not exactly a user. It would be reasonable for Mavic
>> to say to someone it's your fault your rim cracked because you used too
>> much tension.

> Perhaps, but I'd have more sympathy if they didn't hide their max
> tension specs behind password-protected web sites.

Absolutely. Every other manufacturer seems to be capable of supplying a
fold-out instruction sheet larded with safety warnings in 32 languages.
That would be a good place to state the recommended tension. It wouldn't
be a bad idea also to put it on the sticker on the rim itself along with
the max tyre pressure.

Even once you've got the password you have to look quite hard in all
those pdfs for recommended tensions. I don't think I ever found any for
the normal rims, only for the "boutique" stuff.

> But this presumes the guilt of the builder. Who's to say that the
> spoke bed failures were the result of over-tension -- OK, rhetorical
> question, we know who. The real question is whether the spoke bed
> failures that have been reported were a result of out-of-spec tension
> -- I doubt we'll ever know.
>
> What Keith Bontrager said (over 9 years ago on rbt):
> http://tinyurl.com/6sx5nz

[...]

Great link, thanks!

Peter Cole wrote:
> [...] Those of us who take
> professional pride in our capabilities take a very dim view of both of
> those problems and are not inclined to look favorably on the apologists
> for them, particularly if they blame the victim, often (literally)
> adding insult to injury. The obvious irony here (rbt) is that it always
> seems to be the engineers who blame the engineering, while the
> non-engineers blame the users.

Then there are the ex-metallurgists who are resentful of engineers.

Peter Cole wrote:
> Ben C wrote:
>> On 2008-04-30, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> One of my cars eats head gaskets, the other one doesn't.

>> I share the dim view. Next time get a Japanese car :)

> I've had those, and German, and Swedish, and Italian. US doesn't have a
> monopoly on bad engineering, although they may have the lead.
> [...]

Nonsense. Buy a vintage British car, and you will gain understanding.

Ben C wrote:

> OK, well I think I understand what you're saying now. But as the hole
> deforms, the spoke is still touching the sides of the hole all the way
> to the edge, so it's not clear that it's bending about any point except
> where it leaves the hole.

I was thinking of the case where stress relief deformed the hole
additionally. If (and I don't know) the spoke bent slightly (in the
hole) during stress relief, then it might spring back enough to increase
the unsupported length. On th other hand, the crushing could deform the
bore down into the countersink, decreasing the unsupported length. It
seems like splitting hairs, but according to Peter White, when DT
changed the elbow length by that kind of length (0.6mm) there were lots
of spoke failures.

> A herring I raised in a thread long ago was about how well supported the
> spoke was in the hub hole. If the hub hole doesn't deform much at all
> (steel hub for example) then the edge of it is probably digging into the
> spoke somewhere and that's where all the force is concentrated. If
> they're deformed together nicely then the situation is a little bit more
> like a cable wrapped around a cylinder. You might get some force going
> all the way to the head, but in any case, the force is spread over a
> greater area, so less stress.
>
> I was speculating that this might be a benefit of putting oil on the
> elbows as Gene does.

I think we're pretty safe in assuming that the aluminum hub doesn't cut
the steel spoke. That said, while thinking about this I realized that
the shear stress is the same magnitude as the tensile stress. Things get
complicated since a spoke has such a tight bend (radius of curvature
<< less than 10x diameter, the figure of merit for simple beam
deflection). From what I've read, stainless (304), unthreaded fasteners
are supposed to have a maximum safe shear stress of 185MPa, while 100kgf
spokes are at 250MPa by my calculations. As for fatigue, you've got
tensile, bending, shear and residuals all in a region that's supported
in a kind of indeterminate way, the dimensions making it partly like a
beam, partly not. The literature I've been able to find seems to
conclude that fatigue in multiaxis loading is difficult to predict.

It occurred to me that maybe the flattening you see on the insides of
some spoke elbows might be a good thing. If you "ovalized" the elbow
bend even more, you'd lower the skin stress while not affecting the
shear or tensile stress.

Bottom line is that I think it's simplistic to say that because of spoke
geometry all failures should happen at a certain spot, there's just too
much going on. I think it's fair to say that stress relief will reduce
static & residual tensile stresses and tend to improve things no matter
what they really are. I can't see a way of supporting the "bedding in"
argument (as reducing spoke failures, not spoke slacking).

>> What Keith Bontrager said (over 9 years ago on rbt):
>> http://tinyurl.com/6sx5nz

> [...]
>
> Great link, thanks!

It's amazing (and sad) to read the old archives sometimes. Civility and
content has really tanked. Tragedy of the commons, I guess.

On 2008-05-01, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ben C wrote:
>
>> OK, well I think I understand what you're saying now. But as the hole
>> deforms, the spoke is still touching the sides of the hole all the way
>> to the edge, so it's not clear that it's bending about any point except
>> where it leaves the hole.

> I was thinking of the case where stress relief deformed the hole
> additionally. If (and I don't know) the spoke bent slightly (in the
> hole) during stress relief, then it might spring back enough to increase
> the unsupported length.

Yes indeed, it might do that. I hadn't thought of that.

There's a sort of an equilibrium-- if there's a lot of moment then the
spoke bends easily as you overload it, and probably doesn't crush the
hub much. As it bends though and gets closer to the flange, the moment
reduces and it starts to cut into the hub more. By the time it's really
cutting into the hub, the spoke might actually be _unbending_ as you
continue to pull it. Its springback from that would then actually press
it against its support instead of pushing it away from it.

I don't know what actually happens.

> On the other hand, the crushing could deform the bore down into the
> countersink, decreasing the unsupported length. It seems like
> splitting hairs, but according to Peter White, when DT changed the
> elbow length by that kind of length (0.6mm) there were lots of spoke
> failures.

Yes, that's why I think moment is so important.

>> A herring I raised in a thread long ago was about how well supported the
>> spoke was in the hub hole. If the hub hole doesn't deform much at all
>> (steel hub for example) then the edge of it is probably digging into the
>> spoke somewhere and that's where all the force is concentrated. If
>> they're deformed together nicely then the situation is a little bit more
>> like a cable wrapped around a cylinder. You might get some force going
>> all the way to the head, but in any case, the force is spread over a
>> greater area, so less stress.
>>
>> I was speculating that this might be a benefit of putting oil on the
>> elbows as Gene does.

> I think we're pretty safe in assuming that the aluminum hub doesn't cut
> the steel spoke.

I was thinking more of pulling a stiff wire around a mandrel. Since
you're pulling it quite tight there could be stiction meaning it bends
in slightly the wrong places at times and you don't end up with the wire
in such a smooth curve, and therefore not so well supported.

I think Beam's suggestion is more plausible though: that the oil
prevents corrosion especially as it's quite salty in FL.

> That said, while thinking about this I realized that
> the shear stress is the same magnitude as the tensile stress. Things get
> complicated since a spoke has such a tight bend (radius of curvature
><< less than 10x diameter, the figure of merit for simple beam
> deflection). From what I've read, stainless (304), unthreaded fasteners
> are supposed to have a maximum safe shear stress of 185MPa, while 100kgf
> spokes are at 250MPa by my calculations. As for fatigue, you've got
> tensile, bending, shear and residuals all in a region that's supported
> in a kind of indeterminate way, the dimensions making it partly like a
> beam, partly not. The literature I've been able to find seems to
> conclude that fatigue in multiaxis loading is difficult to predict.
>
> It occurred to me that maybe the flattening you see on the insides of
> some spoke elbows might be a good thing.

Typically with steel hubs I think.

> If you "ovalized" the elbow
> bend even more, you'd lower the skin stress while not affecting the
> shear or tensile stress.
>
> Bottom line is that I think it's simplistic to say that because of spoke
> geometry all failures should happen at a certain spot, there's just too
> much going on.

Yes I agree with that.

> I think it's fair to say that stress relief will reduce static &
> residual tensile stresses and tend to improve things no matter what
> they really are. I can't see a way of supporting the "bedding in"
> argument (as reducing spoke failures, not spoke slacking).

I think Beam says it's mostly about spoke slacking since he tried not
doing it and rode around the block and his wheel went loose.

Theoretically that shouldn't happen since spoke tension isn't ever
supposed to increase in use, so riding around the block shouldn't bed
anything in.

I see it as basically spoke line correction, by bending the spoke and/or
deforming the hub. I'm not sure it's "microscopic" spoke line
correction, but probably reduces the perpendicular distance from the
spoke line to the support point by of the order of about 0.5mm or so.

For some hubs/spokes it's the only spoke line correction you need to do,
viz daveornee's and Beam's pictures, and it doesn't appear to bend the
spokes much because if you take them out again the elbows haven't
changed their angle much.

I found when I built with a Shimano hub that I didn't really need
to do any other spoke line correction-- the spokes kind of sat right
very easily.

But on the wheels I built with Campag hubs the spokes really looked
off-line so I did bend them in a bit with my thumb before full tension.
I'm sure if you took those wheels apart you'd be able to tell from the
elbow bends which were the inbound and which the outbound spokes.

[...]
>>> What Keith Bontrager said (over 9 years ago on rbt):
>>> http://tinyurl.com/6sx5nz

>> [...]
>>
>> Great link, thanks!

> It's amazing (and sad) to read the old archives sometimes. Civility and
> content has really tanked. Tragedy of the commons, I guess.

Well there's nothing to be done except try to bring standards back up
again, which you for one are certainly doing.

Ben C wrote:
> On 2008-05-01, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I think it's fair to say that stress relief will reduce static &
>> residual tensile stresses and tend to improve things no matter what
>> they really are. I can't see a way of supporting the "bedding in"
>> argument (as reducing spoke failures, not spoke slacking).

> I think Beam says it's mostly about spoke slacking since he tried not
> doing it and rode around the block and his wheel went loose.
>
> Theoretically that shouldn't happen since spoke tension isn't ever
> supposed to increase in use, so riding around the block shouldn't bed
> anything in.

I agree that stress relieving can cause spokes to lose tension. I think
that riding can do the same thing if the lateral loads (flopping the
bike) increase tension. Bowed spoke lines could also do it if they took
a little more permanent set. Since full spoke tension is 0.75mm, even a
tenth of hub deformation or a couple of degrees of spoke straightening
would make a significant change.

Stress relief.

I think deformation of flange holes in aluminum hubs is being
mis-characterized, leading to incorrect assumptions about effective
spoke hole position before and after stress relieving and that
trueness of the wheel suffers from the process.

Hole deformation is an asymptotic effect that with reasonable spoke
tension is already as deep as it will get. If that were not so,
spokes would gradually sink through the flange and pull out. Once
about a third of the spoke diameter bears fully on the flange hole it
is as deep as it will go while subsequent stress relief cannot "bed
them in" any deeper as the process is often depicted here. The terms
bedding in or stabilizing are a misnomers chosen by people who cannot
visualize mechanical stress relief or that spokes bed in naturally
from initial spoke tension.

I'm getting deja vu all over again, as Yogi Berra so aptly said, with
technical descriptions of wheel building. I sense that writers are
trying to return to pre 1980 wheel mysteries, when wheels could be
built only by people who spent their life doing so, for reasons that
remained secret. Beyond that, today it is all about materials that,
although claimed to be superior, perform more poorly.

Jobst Brandt

On 01 May 2008 22:38:24 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

[snip]

>Beyond that, today it is all about materials that,
>although claimed to be superior, perform more poorly.
>
>Jobst Brandt

Dear Jobst,

The last I heard, something changed between the 1st and 3rd editions
of "The Bicycle Wheel" and significantly altered the durability of
spokes:

"It appears that the better spokes now available would have made the
discovery of many of the concepts of this book more difficult for lack
of failure data. I am grateful in retrospect for the poor durability
of earlier spokes. They operated so near their limits that durability
was significantly altered by the techniques that I have outlined."

--Jobst Brandt, "The Bicycle Wheel," 3rd Edition, 1993, p.124

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Carl Fogel wrote:

>> Beyond that, today it is all about materials that, although claimed
>> to be superior, perform more poorly.

> The last I heard, something changed between the 1st and 3rd editions
> of "The Bicycle Wheel" and significantly altered the durability of
> spokes:

You're trying too hard. The new materials are Kevlar and Carbon fiber
along with hard anodized rims and hubs. Because the spokes of old
required careful spoke alignment and stress relief, Today some spokes
survive in spite of less skilled attention, but that could also be
that the wheels don't get as much use as the ones of yore.

> "It appears that the better spokes now available would have made the
> discovery of many of the concepts of this book more difficult for
> lack of failure data. I am grateful in retrospect for the poor
> durability of earlier spokes. They operated so near their limits
> that durability was significantly altered by the techniques that I
> have outlined."

That has more to do with assessing how effective stress relief is than
with how long spokes last before failure. As I have often mentioned,
spokes in my old wheels from the 1970's on which I developed the
methods, have more than 300,000 miles service at 10,000 miles per year
or more.

> --Jobst Brandt, "The Bicycle Wheel," 3rd Edition, 1993, p.124

I'm glad you have a copy of the book. It still sells well today.

Jobst Brandt

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 22:34:16 -0500, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Peter Cole wrote:
>> Ben C wrote:
>>> On 2008-04-30, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:

>> [...]

>>> I share the dim view. Next time get a Japanese car :)

>> I've had those, and German, and Swedish, and Italian. US doesn't have a
>> monopoly on bad engineering, although they may have the lead.
>> [...]

>Nonsense. Buy a vintage British car, and you will gain understanding.

Yea, if it doesn't leak it doesn't contain oil. If it doesn't flicker
or spark it's not connected. If it isn't broken it was never
installed!!
My 1961 Mini 850 was the most dependable car I ever owned. I could
depend on it to make trouble just about any time - and REAL trouble at
the worst of times.

Austin A65 wasn't much better - I got that one for a friend (ouch).The
1972 Rover TC was a nice car- and relatively reliable(for a British
car) but was a REAL PIG to work on.(it was my brother's car) He also
had a Vauxhaul HA and a Victor Special. I had an HC (Firenza (or
Magnum))( Any F'renza yours ain't no f'renza mine). The Firenza was
actually a pretty decent car, considering I bought it for, IIRC, $250
when it was 4 years old!! (6 years later I got $700 for it)

On 2008-05-01, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> Stress relief.
>
> I think deformation of flange holes in aluminum hubs is being
> mis-characterized, leading to incorrect assumptions about effective
> spoke hole position before and after stress relieving and that
> trueness of the wheel suffers from the process.
>
> Hole deformation is an asymptotic effect that with reasonable spoke
> tension is already as deep as it will get. If that were not so,
> spokes would gradually sink through the flange and pull out. Once
> about a third of the spoke diameter bears fully on the flange hole it
> is as deep as it will go while subsequent stress relief cannot "bed
> them in" any deeper as the process is often depicted here.

I am familiar with that theory which you and Peter Cole have explained
here before.

On that basis I thought stabilization quite likely worked predominantly
by deforming the spoke and not the hub.

Jim Beam had shown pictures earlier that a spoke removed from a finished
wheel doesn't necessarily show a big change in the elbow angle and that
the hub hole can get significantly deformed.

Here are his spokes:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/331112190/
And this is the hub they came out of:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/104463818/

But there's nothing there to suggest definitively that the hub hole
deformation didn't happen during the initial stages of tensioning rather
than during stabilization.

What has re-opened this discussion are the pictures daveornee posted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17085834@N08/2443679334/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17085834@N08/2443679236/

In particular:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17085834@N08/2442851273/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17085834@N08/2443679416/

Seems to show more hub hole deformation and less spoke deformation when
compared with:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17085834@N08/2442851411/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17085834@N08/2442851349/

This implies to me strongly that stabilization can improve spoke line by
deforming the hub and not the spoke.

Otherwise why is the hub deformed more on the side on which spoke line
was not corrected before stabilization? During the initial stages of
tensioning (before spoke line correction on the side that was), both
sides of the hub were treated exactly the same. If all hub deformation
occurs during that phase, we would expect to see the same amount of
deformation on both sides.

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:
> Yea, if it doesn't leak it doesn't contain oil. If it doesn't flicker
> or spark it's not connected. If it isn't broken it was never
> installed!!
> My 1961 Mini 850 was the most dependable car I ever owned. I could
> depend on it to make trouble just about any time - and REAL trouble at
> the worst of times.
>
> Austin A65 wasn't much better - I got that one for a friend (ouch).The
> 1972 Rover TC was a nice car- and relatively reliable(for a British
> car) but was a REAL PIG to work on.(it was my brother's car) He also
> had a Vauxhaul HA and a Victor Special. I had an HC (Firenza (or
> Magnum))( Any F'renza yours ain't no f'renza mine). The Firenza was
> actually a pretty decent car, considering I bought it for, IIRC, $250
> when it was 4 years old!! (6 years later I got $700 for it)

Wow. Sorta like second marriages, multiple British cars must be the
triumph of hope over experience. One was plenty for me.

(didn't keep me from subjecting myself to a Fiat later though)
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Wow. Sorta like second marriages, multiple British cars must be the
> triumph of hope over experience. One was plenty for me.

As was my 3 weeks of experience of a USian car. That thing was pretty
dreadful - and a 2008 model at that.

Though I have no desire to spend time mucking around with _old_ British
cars, I'd be happy with a lot of currently-built stuff if I didn't have a
peculiar desire for a car which goes up and down.

cheers,
clive

On 02 May 2008 00:04:51 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>Carl Fogel wrote:
>
>>> Beyond that, today it is all about materials that, although claimed
>>> to be superior, perform more poorly.

>> The last I heard, something changed between the 1st and 3rd editions
>> of "The Bicycle Wheel" and significantly altered the durability of
>> spokes:

>You're trying too hard. The new materials are Kevlar and Carbon fiber
>along with hard anodized rims and hubs. Because the spokes of old
>required careful spoke alignment and stress relief, Today some spokes
>survive in spite of less skilled attention, but that could also be
>that the wheels don't get as much use as the ones of yore.
>
>> "It appears that the better spokes now available would have made the
>> discovery of many of the concepts of this book more difficult for
>> lack of failure data. I am grateful in retrospect for the poor
>> durability of earlier spokes. They operated so near their limits
>> that durability was significantly altered by the techniques that I
>> have outlined."

>That has more to do with assessing how effective stress relief is than
>with how long spokes last before failure. As I have often mentioned,
>spokes in my old wheels from the 1970's on which I developed the
>methods, have more than 300,000 miles service at 10,000 miles per year
>or more.
>
>> --Jobst Brandt, "The Bicycle Wheel," 3rd Edition, 1993, p.124

>I'm glad you have a copy of the book. It still sells well today.
>
>Jobst Brandt

Dear Jobst,

I sense that you're not trying hard enough.

Someone or other tested spokes in 1981 and again 1988. He published
stress-strain graphs, showing the results.

In 1981, he tested carbon steel and stainless steel spokes. They all
pulled apart, failing after stretching less than 0.15" (3.8 mm).

By 1988, only seven years later, he didn't bother testing carbon steel
spokes because most riders had stopped using the old material by 1988
and embraced the new stainless steel material for some reason or
other.

Interestingly, some stainless steel spokes from the same company (DT)
stretched so far in 1988 that the tester gave up trying to make them
fail in his second test. The stress-strain graph just goes level.

The 1981 stainless steel spokes all failed below 4 mm of stretch. The
1988 spokes stretch 25% to 50% more, failing at 5 mm to 6 mm, or even
showing no sign of failure.

It's as if the spoke material changed significantly.

That might explain the tester's comment five years later in 1993 that
spokes had become significantly more durable.

He never shared whatever "data" he had in mind about durability, but
his claim for an impressive improvement in spoke durability is
supported by the fact that the practice of carrying spare spokes
practically vanished around that time.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel