Spoke lacing question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dobr24, Feb 2, 2003.

  1. Dobr24

    Dobr24 Guest

    I am building a rear wheel 32 spoke double butted 14-15 gauge 3x cross drive and non drive side and
    plan on using the new off center rim from Velocity. I am hoping to build a more balanced wheel with
    more equal spoke tension to enhance the strength of the wheel. Now for the question, What do you
    think about lacing all the spokes on the drive side "head in"? I have read that this can reduce
    offset by as much as 50%. (Dave Thomas of Speed Dreams uses a technique employing this.) Will it
    help with wheel strength or combined with the offset rim will this be too much? Chris

    Tags:

  2. David Ornee

    David Ornee Guest

    "dobr24" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am building a rear wheel 32 spoke double butted 14-15 gauge 3x cross
    drive
    > and non drive side and plan on using the new off center rim from Velocity.
    > am hoping to build a more balanced wheel with more equal spoke tension to enhance the strength of
    > the wheel. Now for the question, What do you think about lacing all the spokes on the drive side
    > "head in"? I have read that this can reduce offset by as much as 50%. (Dave Thomas of Speed Dreams
    uses
    > a technique employing this.) Will it help with wheel strength or combined with the offset rim will
    > this be too much? Chris

    Chris, I vote for skipping the "all heads in on the drive side" idea. All the spokes would cross at
    the same plane. Normally the pulling spoke have their heads out. When the spoke cross at different
    planes they help each other from going slack under a localized load. If you are using Shimano or
    Phil Wood hubs and Velocity rim with offset spoke bed, you will have a closely balance wheel. I
    wouldn't mess with the "all heads in (elbows out) on the drive side". Check with Bluto on this as he
    is a proponent. I would be interested in Jobst Brandt's response, if he would honor us with
    it.

    Dave Ornee, Western Springs, IL

  3. dobr24-<< I am building a rear wheel 32 spoke double butted 14-15 gauge 3x cross drive and non drive
    side and plan on using the new off center rim from Velocity.

    << Now for the question, What do you think about lacing all the spokes on the drive side "head in"?
    I have read that this can reduce offset by as much as 50%.

    How does it reduce offset by 50%??

    << Will it help with wheel strength or combined with the offset rim will this be too much?

    A well built wheel with appropriate components will determine wheel strength...

  4. Cdorn

    Cdorn Guest

    Upon further investigation into the idea of spoke in and spoke out lacing I realized that Dave
    Thomas was using a 1x lacing technique which I am wayyyy to heavy a rider to use and feel safe. To
    read his thoughts on lacing techniques please see the following or go to his website. I think I'll
    stick with standard lacing.

    Thanks for your replies, Chris

    http://www.speeddream.com/speed_dream.php Another trick that reduces the effect of hub offset up to
    50% is the mixing of "heads in, race lace" and "heads out one cross" on drive and non-drive sides
    respectively. Unfortunately, these techniques are too difficult to explain verbally so I think it's
    time for me to say adios until next time. He further writes later,

    "Velocity rims are light and pretty but these are no simple rolled down road rim. Wider than their
    road model, they have a concave braking track to prevent pad dive. They also build easily, being
    manufactured to a high quality standard (and I love all those color options).

    Ritchey Logic 15 gauge butted spokes are used on front and non-drive rear in a one cross, heads out
    pattern. Made by DT, these spokes are 25% lighter than standard 15 ga butted spokes owing to the
    longer thinner center sections. At 4 grams per spoke, they are only 1/4 gram heavier each than
    titanium spokes. Gold colored alloy nipples come standard with them. Standard 15 ga DT spokes are
    used on the drive side rear, in a special 4 cross, heads in pattern which leaves them together a bit
    near the hub. Although still light, somewhat heavier spokes are necessary for greater tension
    requirements of the drive side due to "wheel dish" or offset.

    Since nonstandard spoke patterns require nonstandard spoke lengths, why go to all the bother? If you
    noticed, I mentioned "heads out" or "heads in" on the patterns. This means all the spokes are on the
    same side of each hub flange, which offers more uniform spoke tension. A standard 3 cross, which
    alternates spokes on both sides of the hub flange, means that outer spokes have a 5mm greater width
    to pull from, than inner spokes.

    In the case of the drive side, the outer spokes could be 25% looser than inner spokes and will give
    a mushier ride. Add that to the fact that fixing heads in and heads out on the rear wheel takes
    about one third of the wheel dish away and you'll have a dramatically stiffer and stronger tear
    wheel! This is also true on front wheels with one cross heads out spoking. More even tension and
    more direct loading of spokes makes a stronger and stiffer wheel. There's also less stress on spoke
    elbows because they don't have to bend as much at the hub. One cross is used instead of straight
    radial spoking to be less destructive to the hub flange. (Many manufacturers void the warranty with
    radial~ spoking.) Too much stiffness is avoided by using the superlight spokes which are more
    elastic but you can really feel the extra response! Of course, in order to have all those advantages
    the wheel must be built in a skilled fashion by an expert. The lighter the wheel, the more important
    this aspect is."