spoke length and 28h 126 mm Goldtec rear track hub

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Jan 26, 2006.

  1. Hi

    Just ordered a 28 hole 126 mm Goldtec rear track hub and am wondering
    about spoke lengths for building into a Mavic Open Pro rim (standard 3
    cross pattern).

    Been talking to someone at betd and they said 294 mm although they
    didn't ask what pattern.

    I was just fiddling with Rinard's spocalc - it has an entry for the
    135mm hub and, using it, I get 297.9 mm spokes. Flange diameters will
    be the same. And, if you take the Phil Wood track hub (120/126/130) as
    an example, the hub width is the same too (so just spaced as
    necessary), not that it affects the calculation dramatically.

    It's the end of the working day here, but it's got me thinking now ...
    ~ 4mm is quite a big difference.

    Anyone out there with experience?

    Cheers

    ccr

    Tags:

  2. M-gineering

    M-gineering Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Just ordered a 28 hole 126 mm Goldtec rear track hub and am wondering
    > about spoke lengths for building into a Mavic Open Pro rim (standard 3
    > cross pattern).
    >
    > Been talking to someone at betd and they said 294 mm although they
    > didn't ask what pattern.
    >
    > I was just fiddling with Rinard's spocalc - it has an entry for the
    > 135mm hub and, using it, I get 297.9 mm spokes. Flange diameters will
    > be the same. And, if you take the Phil Wood track hub (120/126/130) as
    > an example, the hub width is the same too (so just spaced as
    > necessary), not that it affects the calculation dramatically.
    >
    > It's the end of the working day here, but it's got me thinking now ...
    > ~ 4mm is quite a big difference.
    >
    > Anyone out there with experience?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > ccr

    284 laced 2x
    imho 3x on 28H is a bit OTT

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  3. M-gineering wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > Just ordered a 28 hole 126 mm Goldtec rear track hub and am wondering
    > > about spoke lengths for building into a Mavic Open Pro rim (standard 3
    > > cross pattern).
    > >
    > > Been talking to someone at betd and they said 294 mm although they
    > > didn't ask what pattern.
    > >
    > > I was just fiddling with Rinard's spocalc - it has an entry for the
    > > 135mm hub and, using it, I get 297.9 mm spokes. Flange diameters will
    > > be the same. And, if you take the Phil Wood track hub (120/126/130) as
    > > an example, the hub width is the same too (so just spaced as
    > > necessary), not that it affects the calculation dramatically.
    > >
    > > It's the end of the working day here, but it's got me thinking now ...
    > > ~ 4mm is quite a big difference.
    > >
    > > Anyone out there with experience?
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >
    > > ccr
    > >

    > 284 laced 2x
    > imho 3x on 28H is a bit OTT

    2x it is then - good point! Actually, I'm now questioning why I went
    for 28H as opposed to 32/36H.

    Anyway, now I get 281.2 using spocalc so that's yet another spoke
    length! Is your 284 from experience of the 126mm hub (or how are you
    calculating)?

    Thanks,

    ccr

  4. M-gineering

    M-gineering Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > M-gineering wrote:
    >
    >>[email protected] wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>Just ordered a 28 hole 126 mm Goldtec rear track hub and am wondering
    >>>about spoke lengths for building into a Mavic Open Pro rim (standard 3
    >>>cross pattern).
    >>>
    >>>Been talking to someone at betd and they said 294 mm although they
    >>>didn't ask what pattern.
    >>>
    >>>I was just fiddling with Rinard's spocalc - it has an entry for the
    >>>135mm hub and, using it, I get 297.9 mm spokes. Flange diameters will
    >>>be the same. And, if you take the Phil Wood track hub (120/126/130) as
    >>>an example, the hub width is the same too (so just spaced as
    >>>necessary), not that it affects the calculation dramatically.
    >>>
    >>>It's the end of the working day here, but it's got me thinking now ...
    >>>~ 4mm is quite a big difference.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone out there with experience?
    >>>
    >>>Cheers
    >>>
    >>>ccr
    >>>

    >>284 laced 2x
    >>imho 3x on 28H is a bit OTT

    > 2x it is then - good point! Actually, I'm now questioning why I went
    > for 28H as opposed to 32/36H.
    >
    > Anyway, now I get 281.2 using spocalc so that's yet another spoke
    > length! Is your 284 from experience of the 126mm hub (or how are you
    > calculating)?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > ccr

    i'm calculating with 28 instead of 32 (learned it the hard way ;))

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  5. john

    john Guest

    "Measure twice, cut once". When it comes to calculating spoke lengths;
    do it twice each on three different systems. Not on the same day.
    Unless you like paying for useless spokes. The 3 systems I use are:

    Damon Rinard's spocalc site @
    http://sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm
    Jobst's from his book. "The Bicycle Wheel"
    Sutherland's from his reference book.
    I give the least weight to Sutherland's. It's more of a ballpark
    reality check.
    Double-check all measurements. It's much better to take your own
    measurements. If any disagree w/ Damon Rinard's, keep redoing your's
    until you are certain that it is correct. I've never ordered the wrong
    length, but I've certainly had to keep measuring or recalculating a few
    times. I can see how easy it is to screw up.
    And I certainly wouldn't believe the guy that gave you the 294mm. It's
    not his $$$

    Have fun, John

  6. [email protected] wrote:
    > M-gineering wrote:
    > > [email protected] wrote:
    > > > Hi
    > > >
    > > > Just ordered a 28 hole 126 mm Goldtec rear track hub and am wondering
    > > > about spoke lengths for building into a Mavic Open Pro rim (standard 3
    > > > cross pattern).
    > > >
    > > > Been talking to someone at betd and they said 294 mm although they
    > > > didn't ask what pattern.
    > > >
    > > > I was just fiddling with Rinard's spocalc - it has an entry for the
    > > > 135mm hub and, using it, I get 297.9 mm spokes. Flange diameters will
    > > > be the same. And, if you take the Phil Wood track hub (120/126/130) as
    > > > an example, the hub width is the same too (so just spaced as
    > > > necessary), not that it affects the calculation dramatically.
    > > >
    > > > It's the end of the working day here, but it's got me thinking now ...
    > > > ~ 4mm is quite a big difference.
    > > >
    > > > Anyone out there with experience?
    > > >
    > > > Cheers
    > > >
    > > > ccr
    > > >

    > > 284 laced 2x
    > > imho 3x on 28H is a bit OTT

    > 2x it is then - good point! Actually, I'm now questioning why I went
    > for 28H as opposed to 32/36H.
    >
    > Anyway, now I get 281.2 using spocalc so that's yet another spoke
    > length! Is your 284 from experience of the 126mm hub (or how are you
    > calculating)?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > ccr

    If you know flange diameter, hole to hole center and center to flange
    width, call me and I'll plug it into my WS spoc calc 'puter-very
    accurate if the numbers are...

    [email protected]

    303-440-3535

  8. M-gineering wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > M-gineering wrote:

    > >>284 laced 2x
    > >>imho 3x on 28H is a bit OTT

    > > 2x it is then - good point! Actually, I'm now questioning why I went
    > > for 28H as opposed to 32/36H.
    > >
    > > Anyway, now I get 281.2 using spocalc so that's yet another spoke
    > > length! Is your 284 from experience of the 126mm hub (or how are you
    > > calculating)?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > ccr
    > >

    > i'm calculating with 28 instead of 32 (learned it the hard way ;))

    Hub's arrived and, as I guessed, relevant 126mm dims are same as 135mm
    i.e. spocalc entry can be used.

    And yes, you saved me there, thanks (and cheers for the 2x
    recommendation)!

    ccr

  9. Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > M-gineering wrote:

    > > > 284 laced 2x
    > > > imho 3x on 28H is a bit OTT

    > > 2x it is then - good point! Actually, I'm now questioning why I went
    > > for 28H as opposed to 32/36H.
    > >
    > > Anyway, now I get 281.2 using spocalc so that's yet another spoke
    > > length! Is your 284 from experience of the 126mm hub (or how are you
    > > calculating)?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > ccr

    > If you know flange diameter, hole to hole center and center to flange
    > width, call me and I'll plug it into my WS spoc calc 'puter-very
    > accurate if the numbers are...

    That's kind of you but at this hour, I might wake you!

    I'm getting a feeling 284 is correct and as I have the hub to measure
    now, I can confirm it's the same as the entry in spocalc for the 135mm
    version:

    flange diameter (through centre of spoke holes like spocalc) - 66 mm

    centre to flange - 36 mm (symmetrical i.e. 72 mm flange to flange)

    hole to hole centre - i'm guessing what am trying to measure here
    because what i'm going to give you might be able to be calculated from
    the fact it's 28 hole but anyway - 14.5 mm?

    What do you think?

    Cheers

    ccr

  10. > "Measure twice, cut once". When it comes to calculating spoke lengths;
    > do it twice each on three different systems. Not on the same day.
    > Unless you like paying for useless spokes. The 3 systems I use are:
    >
    > Damon Rinard's spocalc site @
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm
    > Jobst's from his book. "The Bicycle Wheel"
    > Sutherland's from his reference book.
    > I give the least weight to Sutherland's. It's more of a ballpark
    > reality check.
    > Double-check all measurements. It's much better to take your own
    > measurements. If any disagree w/ Damon Rinard's, keep redoing your's
    > until you are certain that it is correct. I've never ordered the wrong
    > length, but I've certainly had to keep measuring or recalculating a few
    > times. I can see how easy it is to screw up.
    > And I certainly wouldn't believe the guy that gave you the 294mm. It's
    > not his $$$
    >
    > Have fun, John

    Good advice there! I've not got access to the latter two but once I'm
    happy with my measurements and if my trusted local bike shop agrees
    with me then that will be it.

    All good fun and learning ...

    Cheers

    ccr