Spoke Length Calculator

Bicyclette

Guest
Anybody know of a good online spoke length calculator? I'm going with Vel. Deep V rim and suitable
hub for the rear.

Originally posted by Bicyclette
Anybody know of a good online spoke length calculator? I'm going with Vel. Deep V rim and suitable
hub for the rear.

http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp
follow the link in the middle of the page under "Tools" for Spokes Calculator
or
http://www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm
Select the full version, use Excel full strength version with your "macros enabled"
ERD is also available from Velocity USA on their website.

[email protected] (Jesper Brondum) wrote:

> > Anybody know of a good online spoke length calculator? I'm going with Vel. Deep V rim and
> > suitable hub for the rear.
>
> For a Mac
>
> http://www.ct.se/spokcalc/index.html
>
> www.ct.se

Not Found The requested URL /spokcalc/index.htm was not found on this server.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

Ted Bennett writes:

>>> Anybody know of a good online spoke length calculator? I'm going with Vel. Deep V rim and
>>> suitable hub for the rear.

>> For a Mac

http://www.ct.se/spokcalc/index.html

> Not Found The requested URL /spokcalc/index.htm was not found on this server.

It seems to be working fine today. Try it again.

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

> >> For a Mac
>
> http://www.ct.se/spokcalc/index.html
>
> > Not Found The requested URL /spokcalc/index.htm was not found on this server.
>
> It seems to be working fine today. Try it again.
>
> Jobst Brandt [email protected]

Dear Ted and Jobst,

The site comes up for me, but then balks at loading some jpg, which might give odd results. The file
download seems to work.

Carl Fogel

[email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:

> > For a Mac http://www.ct.se/spokcalc/index.html

> > > Not Found The requested URL /spokcalc/index.htm was not found on this server.
> >
> > It seems to be working fine today. Try it again.
> >
> > Jobst Brandt [email protected]
>
> Dear Ted and Jobst,
>
> The site comes up for me, but then balks at loading some jpg, which might give odd results. The
> file download seems to work.
>
> Carl Fogel

It downloaded fine for me today, and I spent some time fiddling with my new toy. When it was time to
put it away and go and do some actual work, I discovered that I already had a copy of it but had
completely forgotten about it.

So I suppose that is what getting older is all about: we don't really need anything new to entertain
us, just rediscover things we had forgotten.

My first senior moment. Sheesh. Maybe my teenaged sons are right after all with their eye-rolling.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

Originally posted by Bicyclette
Anybody know of a good online spoke length calculator? I'm going with Vel. Deep V rim and suitable
hub for the rear.

Some of the listed programs contain errors in rim diameters. For example, Mavic Open 4s have a different measurement for the rim diamter in the DT program and Crazy Ride. So, somebody is wrong.

Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:
>

> > > For a Mac http://www.ct.se/spokcalc/index.html

> > > It seems to be working fine today. Try it again.
> > >
> > > Jobst Brandt [email protected]
> >
> > Dear Ted and Jobst,
> >
> > The site comes up for me, but then balks at loading some jpg, which might give odd results. The
> > file download seems to work.
> >
> > Carl Fogel
>
> It downloaded fine for me today, and I spent some time fiddling with my new toy. When it was time
> to put it away and go and do some actual work, I discovered that I already had a copy of it but
> had completely forgotten about it.
>
> So I suppose that is what getting older is all about: we don't really need anything new to
> entertain us, just rediscover things we had forgotten.
>
> My first senior moment. Sheesh. Maybe my teenaged sons are right after all with their eye-rolling.

Dear Ted,

Soon we get to hide our own Easter eggs.

Carl Fo-Fo- . . . er, Carl F.

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 06:37:19 GMT, BaCardi
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Bicyclette wrote:
> > Anybody know of a good online spoke length calculator? I'm going with Vel. Deep V rim and
> > suitable hub for the rear.
>

>Some of the listed programs contain errors in rim diameters. For example, Mavic Open 4s have a
>different measurement for the rim diamter in the DT program and Crazy Ride. So, somebody is wrong.

... or the rims vary.

Originally posted by Dianne_1234
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Bicyclette wrote:
> > Anybody know of a good online spoke length calculator? I'm going with Vel. Deep V rim and
> > suitable hub for the rear.
>

>Some of the listed programs contain errors in rim diameters. For example, Mavic Open 4s have a
>different measurement for the rim diamter in the DT program and Crazy Ride. So, somebody is wrong.

... or the rims vary.

Well, if you look up Mavic Open 4s in some programs. One program will say 605mm, another will say 608mm, and another will say 602mm. Rim manufacturing tolerances are much closer than these differences. So, its safe to rule out the error is in rim variations.

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 17:05:34 GMT, BaCardi
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Dianne_1234 wrote:
> > >

> > >Some of the listed programs contain errors in rim diameters. For example, Mavic Open 4s have a
> > >different measurement for the rim diamter in the DT program and Crazy Ride. So, somebody is
> > >wrong.
> > ... or the rims vary.
>
>Well, if you look up Mavic Open 4s in some programs. One program will say 605mm, another will say
>608mm, and another will say 602mm. Rim manufacturing tolerances are much closer than these
>differences. So, its safe to rule out the error is in rim variations.

This differs from my experience. I've measured ERDs varying by up to 5mm among rims of the same rim
make, model and year.

What's your experience been?

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Dianne_1234 wrote:
> > >

> > >Some of the listed programs contain errors in rim diameters. For example, Mavic Open 4s have a
> > >different measurement for the rim diamter in the DT program and Crazy Ride. So, somebody is
> > >wrong.
> > ... or the rims vary.
>
>Well, if you look up Mavic Open 4s in some programs. One program will say 605mm, another will say
>608mm, and another will say 602mm. Rim manufacturing tolerances are much closer than these
>differences. So, its safe to rule out the error is in rim variations.

This differs from my experience. I've measured ERDs varying by up to 5mm among rims of the same rim
make, model and year.

What's your experience been?

I've never had a rim of the same type vary much, but my methods are exacting. Using a product made by Wheelsmith called Rimrods, you can measure accurately to withing +- 1mm. And I've found it to be an invaluable tool. I have Mitoyo digital calipers also and can measure the outside space under a rim to hundredths of a mm. Of course, these measurements are produced by tools most people don't have. And a lot of people rely on the programs and databases. How in the world are you getting differences that great? What are your measuring methods?

BaCardi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Dianne_1234 wrote:
> > >
> > >Some of the listed programs contain errors in rim diameters. For example, Mavic Open 4s have
> > >a different measurement for the rim diamter in the DT program and Crazy Ride. So, somebody is
> > >wrong.
> > ... or the rims vary.
>
> Well, if you look up Mavic Open 4s in some programs. One program will say 605mm, another will say
> 608mm, and another will say 602mm. Rim manufacturing tolerances are much closer than these
> differences. So, its safe to rule out the error is in rim variations.

Dear Bacardi,

You're probably right about manufacturers being able to control rim quality better than
602mm to 608mm.

However, rims with the same name may have been silently redesigned, with new production batches
being improved.

For example, in a recent post about Torelli Master rims, Joe Kubera mentioned that these hard-as-hell-to-
mount rims may have been changed slightly after complaints:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20040205163352.11541.00001398%40mb-m12.aol.com&output=gplain

(The thread was "Torelli Master rims- oversized?")

I don't know whether the altered dimension would be the same as the one in the spoke-length
calculator, but if the well of the rim were deeper, then tires should be easier to mount, and the
spokes would be shorter.

Another possible explanation is that the spoke calculating programs measure dimensions
differently, just as the same revolver ammunition can be described as .38 or .357, depending on
how you measure it.

Did you notice any pattern in the programs where you found the different rim sizes? Did one program
tend to list smaller sizes for rims, while another seemed to have inflated figures?

Carl Fogel

Dianne_1234 wrote:

< This differs from my experience. I've measured ERDs varying by up to 5mm among rims of the same
rim make, model and year. What's your experience been?>

BaCardi <[email protected]> wrote:

< I've never had a rim of the same type vary much, but my methods are exacting. Using a product made
by Wheelsmith called Rimrods, you can measure accurately to withing +- 1mm. And I've found it to be
an invaluable tool. I have Mitoyo digital calipers also and can measure the outside space under a
rim to hundredths of a mm. Of course, these measurements are produced by tools most people don't
have. And a lot of people rely on the programs and databases. How in the world are you getting
differences that great? What are your measuring methods?>

Ted replies:

I'm with Bacardi on this. Rim ERDs for a given rim don't vary much, by my measurements. My method is
similar to the Rimrods, but you can do this yourself by cutting the elbows off two longish spokes
and measuring the overlap of diametrically opposed spokes with nipples.

Some of the variation that Diane found could be a result of taking only one measurement. Unlaced
rims don't have much rigidity and easily deform into an ellipse.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:04:42 GMT, BaCardi
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Dianne_1234 wrote:

> > >Well, if you look up Mavic Open 4s in some programs. One program will say 605mm, another will
> > >say 608mm, and another will say 602mm. Rim manufacturing tolerances are much closer than these
> > >differences. So, its safe to rule out the error is in rim variations.
> > This differs from my experience. I've measured ERDs varying by up to 5mm among rims of the same
> > rim make, model and year. What's your experience been?
>

>I've never had a rim of the same type vary much, but my methods are exacting. Using a product made
>by Wheelsmith called Rimrods, you can measure accurately to withing +- 1mm. And I've found it to be
>an invaluable tool. I have Mitoyo digital calipers also and can measure the outside space under a
>rim to hundredths of a mm. Of course, these measurements are produced by tools most people don't
>have. And a lot of people rely on the programs and databases. How in the world are you getting
>differences that great? What are your measuring methods?

LOL, I use Rim Rods, too! Great tools.

When I first found such differences, I thought the rim must be damaged -- egg shaped or something.
So (believe it or not!) I measured every pair of opposite spoke holes and averaged. Yes, I'm that
anal sometimes. :)

The rims were just different.

Tires were harder to install on the larger rim, too.