Spoke length for 26" rims, and internal gear hub

Pilgrim

Guest
I have a Sun Rhyno Lyte 36h rim to lace up to a Shimano Nexus 7 speed
gear hub. I can't seem to find either the flange or internal rim
diameter, but maybe some of you guys know those as well. What size
spokes do I need?

'preciate it

Jesse Pilgrim writes:

> I have a Sun Rhyno Lyte 36h rim to lace up to a Shimano Nexus 7
> speed gear hub. I can't seem to find either the flange or internal
> rim diameter, but maybe some of you guys know those as well. What
> size spokes do I need?

Use one of the many spoke-calc programs on the web:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm

this one has links to many others but is as good as any and probably
better.

Jobst Brandt

On Oct 18, 4:49 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Jesse Pilgrim writes:
> > I have a Sun Rhyno Lyte 36h rim to lace up to a Shimano Nexus 7
> > speed gear hub. I can't seem to find either the flange or internal
> > rim diameter, but maybe some of you guys know those as well. What
> > size spokes do I need?

> Use one of the many spoke-calc programs on the web:
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm
>
> this one has links to many others but is as good as any and probably
> better.
>
> Jobst Brandt

I would but I don't have Excel, and besides the spoke holes are
asymmetric (I believe that's what it's called). They are drilled like
a motorcycle. How does this effect the spoke length?

In article <[email protected]>,
Pilgrim <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 4:49 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> > Jesse Pilgrim writes:
> > > I have a Sun Rhyno Lyte 36h rim to lace up to a Shimano Nexus 7
> > > speed gear hub. I can't seem to find either the flange or internal
> > > rim diameter, but maybe some of you guys know those as well. What
> > > size spokes do I need?

> > Use one of the many spoke-calc programs on the web:
> >
> > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm
> >
> > this one has links to many others but is as good as any and probably
> > better.
> >
> > Jobst Brandt

> I would but I don't have Excel, and besides the spoke holes are
> asymmetric (I believe that's what it's called). They are drilled like
> a motorcycle. How does this effect the spoke length?

If you don't have Excel, you still can have OpenOffice.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

On Oct 18, 5:25 pm, Pilgrim <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 4:49 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Jesse Pilgrim writes:
> > > I have a Sun Rhyno Lyte 36h rim to lace up to a Shimano Nexus 7
> > > speed gear hub. I can't seem to find either the flange or internal
> > > rim diameter, but maybe some of you guys know those as well. What
> > > size spokes do I need?

> > Use one of the many spoke-calc programs on the web:

> >http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm

> > this one has links to many others but is as good as any and probably
> > better.

> > Jobst Brandt

> I would but I don't have Excel, and besides the spoke holes are
> asymmetric (I believe that's what it's called). They are drilled like
> a motorcycle. How does this effect the spoke length?

That's normal, and it doesn't affect the spoke length enough to
matter.

However, what does matter is that there are at least 4 different
iterations of the RynoLite, with ERDs ranging from 541 to 553mm, and
that is enough to matter. Sounds like you'll need to measure between
opposing spoke holes.

Also, what's the Shimano part number on the hub? Coaster vs. roller
brake means different dimensions.

On Oct 18, 6:15 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:

> However, what does matter is that there are at least 4 different
> iterations of the RynoLite, with ERDs ranging from 541 to 553mm, and
> that is enough to matter. Sounds like you'll need to measure between
> opposing spoke holes.
>
> Also, what's the Shimano part number on the hub? Coaster vs. roller
> brake means different dimensions.-

*Assuming* the "newer" Rhyno Lite rim with an ERD of 541mm and
*assuming* a Nexus 7-sp coaster-brake hub, Spocalc gives me:

1x- L: 230.7mm R: 230.1mm
2x- L: 239.4mm R: 238.8mm
3x- L: 252.0mm R: 251.5mm
4x- L: 266.8mm R: 266.3mm

I'd say that 3x is probably your best bet.

Given that spokes are usually available in 2mm increments, you'll
probably end up buying 36 spokes of one length. Also, since the
flanges of the internal hub are relatively symetrical, using an offset
spoke rim gains you nothing and may make a slightly weaker wheel.

Jeff

On Oct 18, 11:26 pm, JeffWills <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 6:15 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > However, what does matter is that there are at least 4 different
> > iterations of the RynoLite, with ERDs ranging from 541 to 553mm, and
> > that is enough to matter. Sounds like you'll need to measure between
> > opposing spoke holes.

> > Also, what's the Shimano part number on the hub? Coaster vs. roller
> > brake means different dimensions.-

> *Assuming* the "newer" Rhyno Lite rim with an ERD of 541mm and
> *assuming* a Nexus 7-sp coaster-brake hub, Spocalc gives me:
>
> 1x- L: 230.7mm R: 230.1mm
> 2x- L: 239.4mm R: 238.8mm
> 3x- L: 252.0mm R: 251.5mm
> 4x- L: 266.8mm R: 266.3mm
>
> I'd say that 3x is probably your best bet.
>
> Given that spokes are usually available in 2mm increments, you'll
> probably end up buying 36 spokes of one length. Also, since the
> flanges of the internal hub are relatively symetrical, using an offset
> spoke rim gains you nothing and may make a slightly weaker wheel.
>
> Jeff

WAIT! do not buy 36 spokes of Willis' lengths: buy 8 spokes- 2 for
each quadrent
8 gives an excellent idea of the spokecalc's accuracy.
borrow a 2x4, drill a hole for either the axle or hub base then shim
up the radii and set the rim there and the hub in it's hole(s)
that's the DIY dishing tool. If you're careful measuring, marking a
stick then measuring, a good idea of spoke lengths is derived to pre
check the spoke calc.
when an accurate length is had buy a few up and down length spokes to
bring an elliptical rim into round.
assemble the wheel on the dishing tool for the initial nipple seating.

On Oct 18, 8:27 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>

> Pilgrim <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Use one of the many spoke-calc programs on the web:

> > >http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm

> > > this one has links to many others but is as good as any and probably
> > > better.

> > > Jobst Brandt

> > I would but I don't have Excel, and besides the spoke holes are
> > asymmetric (I believe that's what it's called). They are drilled like
> > a motorcycle. How does this effect the spoke length?

> If you don't have Excel, you still can have OpenOffice.

Works great with Gnumeric here--and should work with just about any
spreadsheet program that claims to import Excel.

On Oct 18, 8:26 pm, JeffWills <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 6:15 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > However, what does matter is that there are at least 4 different
> > iterations of the RynoLite, with ERDs ranging from 541 to 553mm, and
> > that is enough to matter. Sounds like you'll need to measure between
> > opposing spoke holes.

> > Also, what's the Shimano part number on the hub? Coaster vs. roller
> > brake means different dimensions.-

> *Assuming* the "newer" Rhyno Lite rim with an ERD of 541mm and
> *assuming* a Nexus 7-sp coaster-brake hub, Spocalc gives me:
>
> 1x- L: 230.7mm R: 230.1mm
> 2x- L: 239.4mm R: 238.8mm
> 3x- L: 252.0mm R: 251.5mm
> 4x- L: 266.8mm R: 266.3mm
>
> I'd say that 3x is probably your best bet.
>
> Given that spokes are usually available in 2mm increments, you'll
> probably end up buying 36 spokes of one length. Also, since the
> flanges of the internal hub are relatively symetrical, using an offset
> spoke rim gains you nothing and may make a slightly weaker wheel.
>
> Jeff

Sorry, I believe the wheel is symmetrical. What I meant to say was
that the spoke holes are drilled in a zig-zag pattern like a
motorcycle. No idea what the technical term for that is. The rim is
new, and the hub is a coaster brake, so thanks for the measurements!

> Sorry, I believe the wheel is symmetrical. What I meant to say was
> that the spoke holes are drilled in a zig-zag pattern like a
> motorcycle. No idea what the technical term for that is. The rim is
> new, and the hub is a coaster brake, so thanks for the measurements!-

the rim only looks symetrical, an optical illusion of sorts.
Establishing your rim's coherence requires a FLAT plate. try it.
the zig zag holes are normal.
you definitely need to study sheldon brown's wheel building
instructions.

On Oct 19, 10:02 am, Pilgrim <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sorry, I believe the wheel is symmetrical. What I meant to say was
> that the spoke holes are drilled in a zig-zag pattern like a
> motorcycle. No idea what the technical term for that is. The rim is
> new, and the hub is a coaster brake, so thanks for the measurements!- Hide quoted text -

I don't think there *is* a technical term for it. That's the way a lot
of rims were back when I started to build wheels (early '80's). Some
rims were dimpled and drilled so the spokes could only fit one way.
(Take a look at an old Araya 7X to see what I mean.)

Having the spoke holes a little off the centerline of the rim won't
affect the spoke length by any significant amount. A 26", 36-spoke
symetrical wheel will be about as bombproof as they get- you'll have
lots of reserve strength.

Jeff