spoke length for different patterns?

Taka

Guest
Hello,

Does anybody know how to calculate spoke lengths for non-conventional
spoke patterns?

Spoke calculators seem to cater for 3 cross, 2 cross and conventional
patterns but not for crowsfoot, 2 leading, 2 trailing, etc.

For my first set I am going to try conventional 3 cross but in the
future I might try something different.

Thanks for your help!
Taka

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:49:30 +0100, Taka <Taka> wrote:

>Spoke calculators seem to cater for 3 cross, 2 cross and conventional
>patterns but not for crowsfoot, 2 leading, 2 trailing, etc.

Even in crowsfoot and 2-leading-2-trailing and patterns like that, any
given spoke is cross-n, where n can be 0 for radial. Look at it in a
different way: if you draw a spoke directly from a hub in the hole to one
of the holes in the rim that is closest by, you have radial or cross 0.
That establishes the relative postion of the hub and the rim. Now, if you
put the spoke one spoke hole further along (be it leading or trailing
direction) you have a cross-1 spoke. And so on. So essentially, a cross 3
spoke is 3 holes over from where it'd end if it were radial.

The only exception is when you get into hubs and rims with different
amounts of numbers (typically hubs with more spoke holes than you have in
the rim) -- but for those you just need to get out the old pen, pencil,
and trigonometric calculator.

Jasper

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:45:52 GMT, Jasper Janssen <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:49:30 +0100, Taka <Taka> wrote:
>
>>Spoke calculators seem to cater for 3 cross, 2 cross and conventional
>>patterns but not for crowsfoot, 2 leading, 2 trailing, etc.

>Even in crowsfoot and 2-leading-2-trailing and patterns like that, any
>given spoke is cross-n, where n can be 0 for radial. Look at it in a
>different way: if you draw a spoke directly from a hub in the hole to one
>of the holes in the rim that is closest by, you have radial or cross 0.
>That establishes the relative postion of the hub and the rim. Now, if you
>put the spoke one spoke hole further along (be it leading or trailing
>direction) you have a cross-1 spoke. And so on. So essentially, a cross 3
>spoke is 3 holes over from where it'd end if it were radial.
>
>The only exception is when you get into hubs and rims with different
>amounts of numbers (typically hubs with more spoke holes than you have in
>the rim) -- but for those you just need to get out the old pen, pencil,
>and trigonometric calculator.
>

>Jasper

Hi Jasper,

I hadn't thought of it like that. Thanks.

I was curious how everyone else works it out.
I suppose it helps to have some spare spokes lying around.
I will try experimenting once I get my spokes. I have none at the
moment!

Even if my first wheels are standard cross 3 I hope I will be proud of
them. I can't wait to get started!

Thanks again!
Taka

Taka wrote:

> I was curious how everyone else works it out.

Well, most of us that build for a living, don't work out anything like
crow's foot or anything else except 2 cross, 3 cross and 4 cross. The
other stuff, altho interesting, does nuthin to make a wheel better.

On 29 Aug 2005 06:07:33 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Well, most of us that build for a living, don't work out anything like
>crow's foot or anything else except 2 cross, 3 cross and 4 cross. The
>other stuff, altho interesting, does nuthin to make a wheel better.

The key words here are 'prettier' and 'more interesting'.

Jasper

Jasper Janssen wrote:
> On 29 Aug 2005 06:07:33 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Well, most of us that build for a living, don't work out anything like
> >crow's foot or anything else except 2 cross, 3 cross and 4 cross. The
> >other stuff, altho interesting, does nuthin to make a wheel better.

> The key words here are 'prettier' and 'more interesting'.
>
> Jasper

Yep, I know. I have built a crows foot with 24h and 32h, it was
interesting. Then tied and soldered the three spokes together, ala some
of the time trial wheels in Stars and Watercarriers.