Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Spoke Length short 2mm OK?

Started by Kenny Lee · · Last activity · 4 posts · 821 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
17 June 2003
Last activity
18 June 2003
Original author
Kenny Lee
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
821
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just curious. I'm down to my last two spare spokes. Need to get some new spares. The spokes I have
    now are 296mm in length. Can I use 294mm? It's for my rear wheel which is built up with a Record Hub
    and Ambrosio Excelite rim 32h laced 3X.

    Kenny Lee

  2. Kenny Lee said:

    Just curious. I'm down to my last two spare spokes. Need to get some new spares. The spokes I have
    now are 296mm in length. Can I use 294mm? It's for my rear wheel which is built up with a Record
    Hub and Ambrosio Excelite rim 32h laced 3X.

    Perfect for the drive side of your rear wheel, which shlould be 2mm shorter due to the dish.
    Possibly OK for a temporary roadside fix for the others, but replace with some the right length when
    you get back home.

    --
    Jim Price

    jimprice.dsl.pipex.comjimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Conscientious objection is hard work in an economic war.

    Aye!.

  3. Kenny Lee said:

    Just curious. I'm down to my last two spare spokes. Need to get some new spares. The spokes I have
    now are 296mm in length. Can I use 294mm? It's for my rear wheel which is built up with a Record
    Hub and Ambrosio Excelite rim 32h laced 3X.

    It depends on how far the 296mm spokes engage the nipple. Spokes should reach the bottom of the
    screwdriver slot in the nipple when tight, or protruding a millimeter above the nipple. Your rear
    wheel most likely takes two spoke lengths if it isn't an offset rim and narrow hub.

    Jobst Brandt [email hidden] Palo Alto CA

  4. "Kenny Lee" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just curious. I'm down to my last two spare spokes. Need to get some new spares. The spokes I have
    now are 296mm in length. Can I use 294mm? It's for my rear wheel which is built up with a Record
    Hub and Ambrosio Excelite rim 32h laced 3X.

    Kenny Lee

    In an emergency, you would probably be fine using spokes 2mm short for a repair. If the wheel was
    originally built with spokes a little long, you could probably even leave it in permanently.
    However, if there are more than a couple of turns of threads still showing even when the spoke is up
    to tension, replace it when you get home.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.