Spoke length Trek 7.1 fx

atlantis

Sep 19, 2010
Hi !

I plan to change my spokes to stainless steel.
I would really appreciate if anyone could give me the exact length of the spokes required for the 700c wheel of the Trek 7.1 fx. 2010 model.
Have any trek fx series members changed their spokes ?

thks

Why do you want to respoke?

Will you be doing it or getting someone else to?

Spoke length does not depend on the bike but on the dimensions of the rims and hubs. If this isn't displayed then there is only two ways to go.

1) Measurall the relevant dimensions of the hubs and rims. Doing this accurately requires a good deal of care, good judgement and/or the right tools, and for the wheels to already be taken apart.

2) Your best bet would be to undo a spoke from the front wheel and one from each side of the rear and measure them directly (from inside of the elbow to the other end).

Hi tafi !
Thanks for replying !

just the other day i felt some roughness on the front wheel spokes and and realised that the paint had rippled a little, took a little sand paper to it and there was base corrosion( not too aggressive though). Thats when I realised that the spokes are not stainless steel below the black paint. I have an aversion towards corrosion and thus the need. I am aware about the sizing procedure, but it would certainly help if some member has already done it. The job will be done by a professional, but unfortunately quality spokes are not easily available in India.
Thus I have to order it online.

The job will be done by a professional
Then probably the best idea is to get him/her to take the measurements for you and tell you what length you need.

Originally Posted by atlantis .

just the other day i felt some roughness on the front wheel spokes and and realised that the paint had rippled a little, took a little sand paper to it and there was base corrosion( not too aggressive though). [COLOR= #ff0000]Thats when I realised that the spokes are not stainless steel below the black paint[/COLOR]. I have an aversion towards corrosion and thus the need. I am aware about the sizing procedure, but it would certainly help if some member has already done it. The job will be done by a professional, but unfortunately quality spokes are not easily available in India.
FWIW. I could be wrong ([COLOR= #808080]of course![/COLOR]), but I doubt that the spokes are anything other than stainless steel ...

And, the possible reason that they don't look like a typical SS spoke is because the surface was etched to facilitate the "paint" adhering to the spoke ...

• OR, maybe not!?!

Check the wheel's specs ... if they are not readily available on-line, then just contact TREK's customer service, directly through their website, and ask them.

I looked on Rinard's spoke calculator and neither your hubs or rims are listed. A search for the ERD(effective rim diameter) brings no results. SO what is left to you is to have the wheel builder remove some spokes and measure them. The fronts and non drive rear will probably be the same. The drive side rear will be shorter. This said now some financial realities:

If you get good spokes like DT Swiss, Wheelsmith, or Saphim your spoke costs alone will be about $60. Add in another $100(conservatively) to build 2 wheels and you're getting up in the price range of a new mid line wheel set, with probably better rims and hubs.

In my view you ought to do paint touch ups on any bare spots on the spokes and keep what you've got. Ride the wheels untill the hub bearings get rough, or spokes start to break from spoke fatigue, and then upgrade you wheel set.