Spoke nipple length question...

Rocket69

Dec 23, 2003
Hi all... I'm gonna build a set of wheels over the holidays and have a small question. Someone mentioned that I need longer spoke nipples when using a Mavic CXP 33 clincher rim... I'll be using a older set of Shimano DA 8 speed hubs (fr/r)... Anyone have experience with the CXP 33's? I checked the DT website and they indicate the "standard" spoke length...

Thanks
Rocket69

Rocket69 said:
Hi all... I'm gonna build a set of wheels over the holidays and have a small question. Someone mentioned that I need longer spoke nipples when using a Mavic CXP 33 clincher rim... I'll be using a older set of Shimano DA 8 speed hubs (fr/r)... Anyone have experience with the CXP 33's? I checked the DT website and they indicate the "standard" spoke length...

Thanks
Rocket69
12 mm tall nipples work fine with CXP-33 rims. Longer nipples won't help anything with CXP-33 rims as they are sufficiently tall to expose the entire area of square portion of the flanks.

Rocket69 said:

Thanks
Rocket69

Just a note of caution. I asked this same question of one of the wheelbuilding folks at Excel (they use the CXP 33's on their team racing bikes). He advised me to grind down the edge of my spoke wrench to keep from scratching the anodized rim.

Bob