Spoke patterns on an old rim

Trainingwheelz

Sep 16, 2005
As a neat project to keep me busy, I'm building a wheel with an old rim that I had at the apt. Wanted to know the conventional wisdom surrounding spoke patterns with regard to preformance. I wonder if the rim dictates the pattern or if the builder does. So, is I said that I had an old rim (I think it's a Warbler) that originall had about a million spokes on it, what would my options be?Thanks, Ian

Trainingwheelz said:
As a neat project to keep me busy, I'm building a wheel with an old rim that I had at the apt. Wanted to know the conventional wisdom surrounding spoke patterns with regard to preformance. I wonder if the rim dictates the pattern or if the builder does. So, is I said that I had an old rim (I think it's a Warbler) that originall had about a million spokes on it, what would my options be?Thanks, Ian
You can pretty much do whatever you want with the rim. Some hub manufacturers don't like radial laceing.

Just as an aside, all of the really experienced wheel builders that I know like to use conventional 3 cross or similar laceing and the first and second time builders are always looking to do exotic patterns. I'm sure there are exceptions but that's been my experience.

I understand what you mean. I am readirg the Sheldon Brown website and it seems that wheel building is an intricate process to explain. I guess starting with a conventional pattern will start me in the right direction.

But I sure am having trouble understanding the directions here in the coffeehouse.

Ian

Retro Grouch said:
You can pretty much do whatever you want with the rim. Some hub manufacturers don't like radial laceing.

Just as an aside, all of the really experienced wheel builders that I know like to use conventional 3 cross or similar laceing and the first and second time builders are always looking to do exotic patterns. I'm sure there are exceptions but that's been my experience.