Spoke reflectors and wheel balance

David760

May 25, 2003
I would like to know how other roadies feel about the spoke reflectors that come on a new bike. My reflectors apparently impart some rather noticeable imbalance in my wheels, as indicated by up and down occilation of the frame when supporting the bike off the ground and spinning the tire. With slow rotation of the tire, off the ground, the reflector always rotates to the bottom of the wheel. Though not a factor at slower speeds, I have to believe this my yeild some undesireable drag or resistance of some sort at higher speeds (=>40kph). I would like to remove them if only for the appearance factor, however I do ride much after dusk during the Fall and Winter and the safety factor of the reflectors is a prudent consideration. Out of curiosity, what do ya'll think about this? I ride a Cannondale 600 with all 105, about 120 km a week.

When you're riding in traffic etc. in low light/night conditions, I'd keep them on.

Maybe take them off when you're training/racing in the sunnier months, and put them back on for winter?

Took my reflecters off the day I got it. It's ugly and I just could not see how reflecters the reflect from the side can be seen by people behind me.

I took my reflectors off the day I got my bike as well. I don't travel on roads at night anway since there is a wonderful 30 mile paved bicycle trail along the American River in Sacramento. This is where I do most of my riding. If I were to ride the rode, I'd use a light kit.

It's dark around here and I've seen lots of bikes from their reflectors. THeyr'e awfully easy to take on & off though so I take them off for anything longer than a century. I"m surprised reflectors didn't get mentioned in the "how to avoid looking like a dork" thread since they occasionally get jibes.

Thanks for the reply. They are kinda dorky aren't they, now that you mention it. I have now taken mine off. Guess what,,,my wheels are spin without a trace of the aforementioned imbalance!! Now if I can only find some little leather hub polishers like I used to have on my first Schwinn.:cool:

Originally posted by umberto
good choice, i would have talkn them off too, i already did on my bike
a simple way to put a little bit of reflection on them is a pittle peice fo reflective tape folded over the spoke. hard to see but should make some nice bright flashes from the side.

If you spin a wheel, while on a stand, and it always come to rest at the same point then it is probably out of balance. The reflectors can actually help. When the wheel comes to rest the top of the wheel will be the lightest so put your reflector at the top and spin again. I use little bits of lead and crimp them onto the spokes until the wheel spins freely without wobbling the bike on the stand. When balanced the wheel will not stop at the same point every time.
Whether the balanced wheel makes you go faster or the added weight makes you go slower I wouldn't know. However the ride is noticeably smoother when riding on a very smooth surface. Happy smooth riding.