Spoke reflectors - how the heck to remove?!

C.J.Patten

Guest
You know the ones. Translucent plastic, arc shaped.

http://images.scrippsweb.com/DIY/2003/09/18/spt103_3fc_e.jpg

The one that came with my bike seems to be "clipped" to a single spoke.
There's a circular insert dead-center of the reflector that has a hold on
the spoke.

I'm sure it's easy to remove once you know how. Thought I'd ask rather than
destroy it. (or maybe that's the only way)

Thanks,
Chris

Hard to say for sure since the picture isn't great. However, if the
insert you mention is plastic and has a slot across it, simply insert a
screwdriver, push in and turn counterclockwise. The insert will
release, although you will probably have to pull it out rather than
expecting it to drop out, and the reflector can be removed from between
the spokes. If the insert is metal, it will work about the same way.

--
Larry D. Farrell, Ph.D.
Professor of Microbiology

C.J.Patten wrote:
> You know the ones. Translucent plastic, arc shaped.
>
> http://images.scrippsweb.com/DIY/2003/09/18/spt103_3fc_e.jpg
>
> The one that came with my bike seems to be "clipped" to a single
> spoke. There's a circular insert dead-center of the reflector that
> has a hold on the spoke.
>
> I'm sure it's easy to remove once you know how. Thought I'd ask
> rather than destroy it. (or maybe that's the only way)

Destroying 'em is half the fun. However, many have a "slotted attachment"
in the middle that you can open up with a flat-blade screwdriver. If not,
break off the plastic tabs that are holding it to the spokes.

HTH, BS

C.J.Patten wrote:
> You know the ones. Translucent plastic, arc shaped.
>
> http://images.scrippsweb.com/DIY/2003/09/18/spt103_3fc_e.jpg
>
> The one that came with my bike seems to be "clipped" to a single spoke.
> There's a circular insert dead-center of the reflector that has a hold on
> the spoke.
>
> I'm sure it's easy to remove once you know how. Thought I'd ask rather than
> destroy it. (or maybe that's the only way)

I destroyed them :)

Got them detached - one practically came off of it's own accord, the other
needed to be destroyed.

Screw it. They're both hittin the round file! Having to use wire cutters
near my spokes is not comforting!

Thanks for the advice!

Chris

On Tue, 31 May 2005 14:14:09 -0400, "C.J.Patten"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>I'm sure it's easy to remove once you know how. Thought I'd ask rather than
>destroy it. (or maybe that's the only way)

Ride the bike - they always fall off sooner or later :)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2005 14:14:09 -0400, "C.J.Patten"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>

>>I'm sure it's easy to remove once you know how. Thought I'd ask rather than
>>destroy it. (or maybe that's the only way)

> Ride the bike - they always fall off sooner or later :)

Except for Murphy's corollary: they will fall off sooner or later
unless you want them to fall off in which case they will remain
stubbornly attached.

--
Tony

"Don't argue the matter, the difficulties will argue for themselves"
-W.S. Churchill

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Ride the bike - they always fall off sooner or later :)

Top 5 of pet hates on a new bike:

5. Mysterious factory chain lube
4. Cheapo OEM tyres inferior to the retail version
3. Crappy bell
2. Front reflector
1. Wheel reflectors

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>
>> Ride the bike - they always fall off sooner or later :)

> Top 5 of pet hates on a new bike:
>
> 5. Mysterious factory chain lube
> 4. Cheapo OEM tyres inferior to the retail version
> 3. Crappy bell
> 2. Front reflector
> 1. Wheel reflectors

Don't forget that new bike smell. ;)

The mysterious factory chain lube is animal fat obtained from the
rendering plant.

Joe Canuck wrote:

> Don't forget that new bike smell. ;)
>
> The mysterious factory chain lube is animal fat obtained from the
> rendering plant.

The classic smell of a bike shop is a heady blend of fresh tyre rubber
and the sweet aroma of GT85 (goodness knows what they use so much of it
on). The really old bike shops sometimes have a whiff of sweat and oil,
but only around the proprietor.

LOL!

Anyone using blinky LED valve caps?

My KHS came with exactly the bell I would have bought - one of those little
Fez-like ones with a springy "knocker" on the side that makes a rather
shrill "PING."

I ditched the front and rear reflectors too - the law around here calls for
LIGHTS. ;)

I think the chain had cogealed, used 20w80 on it... <shudder>

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>
>> Ride the bike - they always fall off sooner or later :)

> Top 5 of pet hates on a new bike:
>
> 5. Mysterious factory chain lube
> 4. Cheapo OEM tyres inferior to the retail version
> 3. Crappy bell
> 2. Front reflector
> 1. Wheel reflectors

>> I ditched the front and rear reflectors too - the law around here calls for LIGHTS. ;)

Personally, if riding on roads in the dark, I'd rather have every aid
to being seen. I take my spoke reflectors off, but put them back on
when I'm riding at night. Ditto front and rear reflectors, if they're
not going to be behind luggage. If you've ever driven a car and seen
how amazingly visible a bike with spoke reflectors is on a roundabout,
compared to one without, you'll appreciate what I mean.

On Sunday afternoon I was nearly hit head on - sunny afternoon, clear
view, no other traffic about. When I stared and shook my head, the
dippy driver shrugged and said "I didn't SEE you", in a tone that was
meant to convey it was my fault for being invisible. If she can't see
in broad daylight and pulls out anyway, then if I meet her in the dark
I want to be sure I've done everything I can to make myself visible.

"iakobski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>>> I ditched the front and rear reflectors too - the law around here calls
>>> for LIGHTS. ;)

> Personally, if riding on roads in the dark, I'd rather have every aid
> to being seen. I take my spoke reflectors off, but put them back on
> when I'm riding at night. Ditto front and rear reflectors, if they're
> not going to be behind luggage. If you've ever driven a car and seen
> how amazingly visible a bike with spoke reflectors is on a roundabout,
> compared to one without, you'll appreciate what I mean.
>
> On Sunday afternoon I was nearly hit head on - sunny afternoon, clear
> view, no other traffic about. When I stared and shook my head, the
> dippy driver shrugged and said "I didn't SEE you", in a tone that was
> meant to convey it was my fault for being invisible. If she can't see
> in broad daylight and pulls out anyway, then if I meet her in the dark
> I want to be sure I've done everything I can to make myself visible.

Wow. You really found a nut bar with that lady... :O

I'm a big supporter of day time running lights. If I had an alternator on my
bike, I'd sure have a set. ;)

My experience with cars, bikes and planes is that they're *more* visible at
night when running with full lighting on. Everything's black around except
that one shining point of light. Not that the actual vehicle itself is more
visible but the light attracts your eyes.

Found some nifty, unobtrusive retro-reflector tape: it's *black.*
In daylight, it looks just, well black! Shine a light on it and it goes
bright white. Kinda neat!

C.

>Personally, if riding on roads in the dark, I'd rather have every aid
>to being seen

Except that is the problem. The author may be SEEN by his/her riding
pals and have to suffer the humilation of having a safety item (and the
extra grams of weight) on the bike.

iakobski wrote:
> Personally, if riding on roads in the dark, I'd rather have every aid
> to being seen. I take my spoke reflectors off, but put them back on
> when I'm riding at night.

Personally I prefer reflective tape wrapped round the spokes and stuck
on the rim between spoke nipples.

> Ditto front and rear reflectors,

Since this thread is crossposted I don't know whether you're posting
from rbm or urc, but a rear reflector is of course a legal requirement
when riding after dark in the UK.

> On Sunday afternoon I was nearly hit head on - sunny afternoon, clear
> view, no other traffic about. When I stared and shook my head, the
> dippy driver shrugged and said "I didn't SEE you",

Air Zound.

iakobski wrote:
> Personally, if riding on roads in the dark, I'd rather have every aid
> to being seen. I take my spoke reflectors off, but put them back on
> when I'm riding at night. Ditto front and rear reflectors, if they're
> not going to be behind luggage. If you've ever driven a car and seen
> how amazingly visible a bike with spoke reflectors is on a roundabout,
> compared to one without, you'll appreciate what I mean.

Get yourself some Schwalbe Marathons. The reflective band around the
sides of the tyre makes photographing them problematic. Even when
slightly mucky they reflect a stack of light.

Jon

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 11:55:31 -0400, "C.J.Patten"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"iakobski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>> Personally, if riding on roads in the dark, I'd rather have every aid
>> to being seen. I take my spoke reflectors off, but put them back on
>> when I'm riding at night. Ditto front and rear reflectors, if they're
>> not going to be behind luggage. If you've ever driven a car and seen
>> how amazingly visible a bike with spoke reflectors is on a roundabout,
>> compared to one without, you'll appreciate what I mean.
>>
>> On Sunday afternoon I was nearly hit head on - sunny afternoon, clear
>> view, no other traffic about. When I stared and shook my head, the
>> dippy driver shrugged and said "I didn't SEE you", in a tone that was
>> meant to convey it was my fault for being invisible. If she can't see
>> in broad daylight and pulls out anyway, then if I meet her in the dark
>> I want to be sure I've done everything I can to make myself visible.

>Wow. You really found a nut bar with that lady... :O
>
>I'm a big supporter of day time running lights. If I had an alternator on my
>bike, I'd sure have a set. ;)
>
>My experience with cars, bikes and planes is that they're *more* visible at
>night when running with full lighting on. Everything's black around except
>that one shining point of light. Not that the actual vehicle itself is more
>visible but the light attracts your eyes.
>
>Found some nifty, unobtrusive retro-reflector tape: it's *black.*
>In daylight, it looks just, well black! Shine a light on it and it goes
>bright white. Kinda neat!
>
>C.

Personally, after dark, I want to be obtrusive. Anything is better
than being hit. Many drivers are inebriated or not paying attention.

I'm addicted to staying alive and healthy and will do whatever it
takes.

Try these: what is use is a clear one on the front and red one on the
back (or on a trouser band is even better). These are real Xenon
strobes that cannot be missed, they are so obtrusive, especially the
clear one..

http://www.emprep.com/lightman strobe.html

Of course if you want to risk a ticket, you could try the dual red and
*blue* cop ones, and everyone will slow down when they see you at a
great distance! I don't want to risk confiscation, though I'd play
dumb if pulled over, but here they are for the adventurous. Along with
other color combos and bike handlebar mounts.

http://www.southwestpublicsafety.com/ligprofbikst.html

Of course, it comes to mind that a red-green two-flasher combination
might not be illegal in many states, and worth a try, and yet still
make many drivers think you're a cop.

I don't use the strobes all the time, only when I don't feel
completely safe. I rode at night in Florida this past February in Ft.
Lauderdale, while visiting relatives, long drive home after dark, and
it was not pleasant. Unfortunately I didn't have the strobes on the
trip. Florida has the highest rate of bike deaths due to hits, if I am
not mistaken.

Geezer Boy

C.J.Patten wrote:
> "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > C.J.Patten wrote:
> >> LOL!
> >>
> >> Anyone using blinky LED valve caps?

> > Yes! top kit.

> <snip>
> > And they are really visible. Perhaps I should get some blue ones?

> Cool!
>
> Wondered if they were really useful for increasing visibility to cars -
> thanks for the feedback!
>
> I've seen blue and green... what colour do you have?

Amber. The only difference is in the colour of the plastic which
fluoresces under UV (according to the blurb that comes with them). The
LED is a UV emitter.

The batteries are getting a bit tired now after about 4-5 months so
I'll change them soon.

...d

> ...red or white would be great on my bike. :D

Red are available. try somewhere like
http://www.autodirectsave.com/WheelLights.asp or google for tireflys.