spoke reflectors that will allow me to maintain *some* dignity

Bob Ross

Jun 22, 2006
So I just bought a brand new Cannondale Synapse Carbon 2, and it comes with these ENORMOUS spoke reflectors that just look completely wrong on such a sleek road bike. They're like 8" long, with these big ugly white plastic brackets at either end that clamp down around the spokes. Totally hideous. I took them off as soon as I got the bike home.

My wife of course thinks I'm suicidal. To appease her (and because as a nighttime car driver I can appreciate the value of reflectors mounted on bike wheels) I tried to move the small, reasonably unobtrusive spoke reflectors from my 11 year old hybrid onto the new Cannondale.

No luck: they don't fit the flat spokes of my new Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels.

So does anyone know of an aftermarket wheel-mounted reflector that is understated and discreet, and that will fit a flat (aero-blade type) spoke?

Thanks.

Bob Ross said:
So does anyone know of an aftermarket wheel-mounted reflector that is understated and discreet, and that will fit a flat (aero-blade type) spoke?
Well, since you have FLAT spokes, you could apply some reflective tape (on the spokes) ... OR, reflective paint -- it won't be as multi-directional in it's reflective quality OR as bright, but it might be good-enough.

Bob Ross said:
spoke reflectors that will allow me to maintain *some* dignity
hey, i'm fat and wear lycra when cycling so spoke reflectors are the least of my worries! :p

i'd go with a smaller set / reflective paint for the spokes, flashy LEDs for me / the bike and a high-viz top woudn't hurt either...... but then i'm only riding during the day ;)

Tim.

Bob Ross said:
So I just bought a brand new Cannondale Synapse Carbon 2, and it comes with these ENORMOUS spoke reflectors that just look completely wrong on such a sleek road bike. They're like 8" long, with these big ugly white plastic brackets at either end that clamp down around the spokes. Totally hideous. I took them off as soon as I got the bike home.

My wife of course thinks I'm suicidal. To appease her (and because as a nighttime car driver I can appreciate the value of reflectors mounted on bike wheels) I tried to move the small, reasonably unobtrusive spoke reflectors from my 11 year old hybrid onto the new Cannondale.

No luck: they don't fit the flat spokes of my new Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels.

Thanks.

Wheel reflectors are a lousy way to help yourself get seen. Lights are much better. If you really feel the need to have some illumination on the wheels, I have seen a few other commuters with these little lights that mount on the valve stems. They are called tireflys.

http://store.tireflysonline.com/bicycles.html

680649Prd.jpg

http://www.rei.com/product/11068460.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_CYCLING_TOC

I took one of the little rectangular sections along the top edge of this card of reflective material. I folded it in half over the spoke nipple to sit along the inner edge of my rim. I did two, each sitting opposite the other, per wheel.

They don't stand out nearly as much. But from the side, the reflective material catches plenty of light to reflect back and give an approaching driver the prespective of a set of moving wheels.

Wal-Mart has reflective tape in the automotive section. It's the stuff that lights up like a road sign in headlights. I put it on the inside of half my rim (on the same surface the spoke holes come out of) so the reflected light seems to flash as the wheel turns. It's a cheap and invisible solution until headlights shine on it. If you buy the silver variety it will be almost unnoticeable on an aluminum rim until you are in someone's headlights. You can slap some on your helmet and bike frame too. It is cheap.

They have LEDs you can attach to a spoke so that while moving it looks like a red circle in the dark. foreget where i saw it,

I had a reflector come loose on a high speed decent. Scared the **** out of me as it smashed against the frame multiple times before disintergrating and coming off completely. I'll never use them again. Go with the tape and lights.

Reflective tape on the rims is light, cheap, and unlikely to do damage if it comes off. Also get a proper set of front and rear lights.

a reflective vest is a real fashion statment. and really increases the oportunity for you to be seen.