spoke tension cxp33 rim

BuckyBoy

Jun 28, 2006
Anyone know the recommended spoke tension for a cxp33 rim? (in Kgf) ..I got this parktool tensiometer, but without this information it's pretty much useless. Or should i just look for something like 100 Kgf? Would that be ok?
I wanted to contact Mavic directly, but i can't find any email address on their website.
Any help is appreciated!.. i'm pretty much noob with this wheel building thing.

BuckyBoy said:
Anyone know the recommended spoke tension for a cxp33 rim? (in Kgf) ..I got this parktool tensiometer, but without this information it's pretty much useless. Or should i just look for something like 100 Kgf? Would that be ok?
I wanted to contact Mavic directly, but i can't find any email address on their website.
Any help is appreciated!.. i'm pretty much noob with this wheel building thing.
Mavic suggest 90 - 110 Kgf front and right rear.

Thanks Dave!.. Now I can get to work again. :)
btw. I think a tensiometer is very useful. I noticed some of my spokes were very under-tensioned,.. something i wouldn't have found out without this tool.

BuckyBoy said:
Thanks Dave!.. Now I can get to work again. :)
btw. I think a tensiometer is very useful. I noticed some of my spokes were very under-tensioned,.. something i wouldn't have found out without this tool.
It is amazing how true a wheel can get without the spokes being tension balanced. Tension balancing at proper tension is more important than getting that last .1 mm of true. You will find that the rim joint area on some rims is most difficult to deal with in this regard.

daveornee said:
Mavic suggest 90 - 110 Kgf front and right rear.
The tension will be different for straight gauge than for a double-butted spoke ... as noted, you want to the tension to be as close as possible for all the spokes on a given side of a wheel.

alfeng said:
The tension will be different for straight gauge than for a double-butted spoke ... as noted, you want to the tension to be as close as possible for all the spokes on a given side of a wheel.
Tension should be the same using either straight or butted spokes. Tension guage numbers and tone will be different at the same tension when comparing different guage spokes.
Using the Park Tool leads you to their conversion chart:
http://www.parktool.com/products/documents/TM_1table_2005912_4301.pdf
Same deflection reading converts to differing tensions depending on the spoke guage.

daveornee said:
Tension should be the same using either straight or butted spokes. Tension guage numbers and tone will be different at the same tension when comparing different guage spokes.
Using the Park Tool leads you to their conversion chart:
http://www.parktool.com/products/documents/TM_1table_2005912_4301.pdf
Same deflection reading converts to differing tensions depending on the spoke guage.
Yes, thanks for correcting that ... I meant to say the deflection READING will be different.