Spoke Tension-o-meter questions

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Me, Oct 17, 2003.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    Hi, I'm thinking about buying a Spoke Tensionometer (you know what I mean) thingy.

    I've never used one before as I've just built my wheels up and guessed when I should stop tightening
    the spokes.

    But now I want to do a proper job.

    My question is which one should I get? the blue park one? The black wheelsmith one?

    Will they all do about the same thing? Will they come with instructions on what to calibrate the
    spokes to given a certain wheel / rim combo? If not where do I find this amount out?

    thanks

    Tags:

  2. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    Buy "the Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt.
    The book will tell you how to determine how much tension to use on each rim/spoke combo.
    The absolute number isn't as important as getting even spoke tension. Once you have attained the correct tension and applied it evenly, you have it right. There are other factors to include such as spoke alignment, centering, truing, and stress relieving.
    Park or Wheelsmith make units that are repeatable enough at the correct spoke tension to insure spoke tension balance.

  3. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    anonymous writes:

    > Hi, I'm thinking about buying a Spoke Tensionometer (you know what I mean) thingy.

    Can't we just call it by its real name and get on with it. Its a TENSIOMETER.

    > I've never used one before as I've just built my wheels up and guessed when I should stop
    > tightening the spokes.

    There are ways of knowing how tight to make a wheel without a tensiometer.

    > But now I want to do a proper job.

    > My question is which one should I get? the blue park one? The black Wheelsmith one?

    > Will they all do about the same thing? Will they come with instructions on what to calibrate the
    > spokes to given a certain wheel / rim combo? If not where do I find this amount out?

    These all have a couple of problems but they get the job done. It depends on how much you want to
    spend to have an easily readable gauge. The DT seems to me to be the best compromise because it can
    be read eaisly.

    Jobst Brandt [email protected]

  4. Me

    Me Guest

    cool jobst,

    I use to sell your book (well actually it collected dust under the ed burke training diary if you
    remember those) when I worked in a bike shop a few years ago.

    Attempts at humor aside, I learned a lot from that book reading it on my lunch hour. It taught me a
    lot. So thanks!

    Back to my question.

    I haven't seen the DT one for sale anywhere. Is it loads more money than the park/wheelsmith?

    > anonymous writes:
    >
    > > Hi, I'm thinking about buying a Spoke Tensionometer (you know what I mean) thingy.
    >
    > Can't we just call it by its real name and get on with it. Its a TENSIOMETER.
    >
    > > I've never used one before as I've just built my wheels up and guessed when I should stop
    > > tightening the spokes.
    >
    > There are ways of knowing how tight to make a wheel without a tensiometer.
    >
    > > But now I want to do a proper job.
    >
    > > My question is which one should I get? the blue park one? The black Wheelsmith one?
    >
    > > Will they all do about the same thing? Will they come with instructions on what to calibrate the
    > > spokes to given a certain wheel / rim combo? If not where do I find this amount out?
    >
    > These all have a couple of problems but they get the job done. It depends on how much you want to
    > spend to have an easily readable gauge. The DT seems to me to be the best compromise because it
    > can be read eaisly.
    >
    > Jobst Brandt [email protected]

  5. Squidvark

    Squidvark Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I haven't seen the DT one for sale anywhere. Is it loads more money than the park/wheelsmith?

    The digital version is over $500. The dial one is a bit less.

  6. Chas.

    Chas. Guest