Thanks, Mr. J. Brandt et al
Quoted message said:What is it that you think is different whether the load on the wheel
comes from asphalt or dirt? If there were such a difference I would
not so readily ride my thin tired bicycle on unpaved roads and forest
trails.
I believe that there is practically no difference in loading or stress on a
wheel that is ridden on asphalt or dirt as you say. But I was not referring
to a wheel being ridden on gravel roads or even fire trails. I am talking
about a wheels that is ridden over 160kms of technical single track during
an 8-hr race, facing a constant on-slaught of tree roots, rocks, logs, ruts
and rough landings from taking air from tired racers. That is how the wheels
I am building are being used. The level of stress and loading is raised to a
whole new level over a wheel that is used on marginally smooth surfaces with
some sort of care.
Quoted message said:I think you should read ho a bicycle wheel supports loads before
making that assessment. Spokes do not become tighter when riding over
obstacles, the downward spokes in the road contact area slacken. You
can find out about all this in "the Bicycle Wheel" that also has an
extensive section on wheel building.
I understand how a wheel supports loads and have read most everything that
has been written on wheels including your own writings, and as far I can
tell there is as much agreement on the subject as there is on the virgin
birth.
Just was inquiring of the experience of anyone out there that specializes in
building wheels for free-riders, trials and endurance MTB racers.
Thanks,
P. Lynn Miller