Spoke washers at the rim / nipple end

Bruce Lange

Guest
Is there any reason not to use the big, egg-shaped spoke washers that go between the nipple and the
rim? (On a rim with no eyelets). Are they effective at distributing spoke load?

Thanks,

-Bruce-

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, Bruce Lange wrote:

> Is there any reason not to use the big, egg-shaped spoke washers that go between the nipple and
> the rim? (On a rim with no eyelets). Are they effective at distributing spoke load?

One possible problem is that the nipple sticks out further and effectively reduces the depth of the
rim drop-center--in some cases this can make it hard to mount tires. Certainly this is true for Alex
Moulton bike rims that I'm familiar with, where the tires are a tight fit and the rim has a well
defined drop center area.