Spoke washers , why brass????

Robert Box

Guest
Is there a particular reason that spoke washers are made from brass? I used some stainless washers
that I got at a bolt house. I laced a Sturmey Archer AW hub and had seen washers recommended for
these. Is brass used because it is softer than the stainleess spoke and does not wear the spokes
where they cross over the washers like they do in a 4 cross pattern?

Thanks

Originally posted by Robert Box
Is there a particular reason that spoke washers are made from brass? I used some stainless washers
that I got at a bolt house. I laced a Sturmey Archer AW hub and had seen washers recommended for
these. Is brass used because it is softer than the stainleess spoke and does not wear the spokes
where they cross over the washers like they do in a 4 cross pattern?

Thanks
Yes, and brass is also softer than most aluminum hub flanges.

Robert Box wrote:

> Is there a particular reason that spoke washers are made from brass? I used some stainless washers
> that I got at a bolt house. I laced a Sturmey Archer AW hub and had seen washers recommended for
> these. Is brass used because it is softer than the stainleess spoke and does not wear the spokes
> where they cross over the washers like they do in a 4 cross pattern?

Brass rarely seizes.

I'm sorry, what the heck is a spoke washer?

My physics project at NVCC: Google Groups, then "dgoncz" and some of: ultracapacitor bicycle
fluorescent flywheel inverter

Spoke washers are brass because there is no such thing as a spoke washer. They use washers available
for a hundred other applications and call them spoke washers adn charge more. I use aluminum or thin
stainless pop-rivet washers bought in a box of 1000 for $5.

bikefixr-<< Spoke washers are brass because there is no such
thing as a spoke washer. They use washers available for a
hundred other applications and call them spoke washers adn
charge more. I use aluminum or thin stainless pop-rivet
washers bought in a box of 1000 for $5. >><BR><BR>

I get 1000 for about $6 from my spoke supplier, brass, used
as washers for spokes in older hubs or those hubs with
really big spoke holes, like cheap hubs, first gen powertap.

If it's a washer and used onna spoke, I guess it's a
'spoke washer'.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> bikefixr-<< Spoke washers are brass because there is no
> such thing as a spoke washer. They use washers available
> for a hundred other applications and call them spoke
> washers adn charge more. I use aluminum or thin stainless
> pop-rivet washers bought in a box of 1000 for $5.
> >><BR><BR>
>
> I get 1000 for about $6 from my spoke supplier, brass,
> used as washers for spokes in older hubs or those hubs
> with really big spoke holes, like cheap hubs, first gen
> powertap.
>
> If it's a washer and used onna spoke, I guess it's a
> 'spoke washer'.
>
> Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali
> costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Dear Peter and Bikefixr,

For those without a spoke supplier, brass washers can be
obtained at much higher prices:

http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/WASFWB.cfm

With shipping, these might be six cents each, so anyone
longing to own a bag of brass washers should google for
"brass washers" and look for better bargains.

Carl Fogel

In article <[email protected]>,
vecchio51 @aol.com says...
> bikefixr-<< Spoke washers are brass because there is no
> such thing as a spoke washer. They use washers available
> for a hundred other applications and call them spoke
> washers adn charge more. I use aluminum or thin stainless
> pop-rivet washers bought in a box of 1000 for $5.
> >><BR><BR>
>
> I get 1000 for about $6 from my spoke supplier, brass,
> used as washers for spokes in older hubs or those hubs
> with really big spoke holes, like cheap hubs, first gen
> powertap.
>
> If it's a washer and used onna spoke, I guess it's a
> 'spoke washer'.
>
> Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali
> costruite eccezionalmente bene"

As Zog said: brass rarely seizes. It's all going to be
relative. If you live on the coast in Florida, you'd want
brass to inhibit electrolytic corrosion - which you get when
steel and aluminum contact. Elsewhere that might not be
enough of a problem to concern you. OTOH, most nipples are
brass, too, so you might not have the problem in the first
place. Regardless, by the time anyone had a problem because
of one material or another, I'm sure these posts will be
long forgotten.

BR Mark