Spoke washers

Finlay Mackay

Guest
Hi,

I'm about to build a wheel on a steel hub - one of these:
<http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/torpedo-duomatic-fs/>

I have seen recommendations to use brass washers between spokehead and
flange, to compensate for the steel's inability to conform to the
spokehead as an alu flange would. Is this in any way necessary? What are
the potential consequences if I don't?

cheers,

Finlay

Finlay Mackay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to build a wheel on a steel hub - one of these:
> <http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/torpedo-duomatic-fs/>
>
> I have seen recommendations to use brass washers between spokehead and
> flange, to compensate for the steel's inability to conform to the
> spokehead as an alu flange would. Is this in any way necessary? What are
> the potential consequences if I don't?
>
> cheers,
>
> Finlay

wrong reason. Steel flanges are narrower than aluminium ones, and spokes
have a generic bend. With the washer you push the bend against the
flange, otherwise it would hang unsupported in thin air

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl