Spokes: Cutting And Threading?

"Tom Sherman" wrote: <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> (PeteCresswell) wrote: I've got a vice and a carbide cutoff wheel
> ^^^^

Tom Sherman wrote: Please, that is too much information!

And I write: I've got a mezzanine box.

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:07:55 -0600, A Muzi wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>> For comparison, the LBS I chose here in the Santa Cruz, CA area,
>> charges $0.75 per spoke. Up from $0.50 last year.
>>
>> That's for spokes picked up this weekend.
>>
>> That quote is for pre-packaged DT straight-guaged spokes. They had a
>> Phil Wood spoke machine but said that they charge more for
>> those...labour, ya' know.
>> (I did not happen to ask how much....I'll guess $1.00)

> While not outrageous, you can usually get premium butted spokes at that
> price. Why ever build with plain gauge spokes anyway? At any price ???

Butted spokes may not be available in the length you require.

dabac wrote:
> How 'bout simply going up one cross? Might fit...
> Or if it doesn't straight off you can tinker with changing cross and
> nipple length and maybe find a decent combo there? It's much nicer to
> build with new nipples anyhow.

> dabac

In my experience, nipple length cannot compensate for too-short
spokes. No matter how long the nipples, the threads still engage at
the same place as a shorter nipple. I find long nipples particularly
useless, as they very quickly shear at high tension.

JB

Johan Bornman writes:

>> How 'bout simply going up one cross? Might fit... Or if it
>> doesn't straight off you can tinker with changing cross and nipple
>> length and maybe find a decent combo there? It's much nicer to
>> build with new nipples anyhow.

> In my experience, nipple length cannot compensate for too-short
> spokes. No matter how long the nipples, the threads still engage at
> the same place as a shorter nipple. I find long nipples
> particularly useless, as they very quickly shear at high tension.

My experience was with wood rims whose 25mm long spoke nipples had the
same amount of thread at the head end as shorter ones. They, like
short ones had an extended unthreaded tubular end to give spoke wrench
access at the inner diameter of the rim.

With wood rims, spoke nipples are in contact with the glued underside
of tubular tires, making SpokePrep unnecessary because, even with
loose spokes, spoke nipples are not free to rotate and unscrew. To
make up for that, wood rims, although responding well to rim brakes,
absorbed no heat and caused brake pads to burn off on descents. You
could feel the burning bits from the front brake on your legs.

Jobst Brandt

Per Tom Sherman:
>> I've got a vice and a carbide cutoff wheel.[...]

> ^^^^
>Please, that is too much information!

Good catch!

Actually I have a number of vices... but only one vise.
--
PeteCresswell