Spokes for Internal Gear Hub

Pilgrim

Guest
I have a Shimano 7 Speed internal gear hub, which has a 36h, 127mm
flange. I'm lacing it to a Salsa Delgado 700c rim. What length of
spokes will I need?

Thanks,
Pilgrim

On Aug 30, 8:38 pm, Pilgrim <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a Shimano 7 Speed internal gear hub, which has a 36h, 127mm
> flange. I'm lacing it to a Salsa Delgado 700c rim. What length of
> spokes will I need?

http://www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm

SpocalcExpress should work great if you know the rim's ERD. You'll
need either Excel, Openoffice.org, Staroffice, or Gnumeric to open the
spreadsheet.

On Aug 30, 6:38 pm, Pilgrim <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a Shimano 7 Speed internal gear hub, which has a 36h, 127mm
> flange. I'm lacing it to a Salsa Delgado 700c rim. What length of
> spokes will I need?
>
> Thanks,
> Pilgrim

According to Spocalc, for a 3-cross lacing pattern, 282.5 for the
drive-side, and 283 for the non-drive side.

Me, I'd do 282s all around. Better a mm too short (when you're
engaging 10mm of thread) than to bottom out.

Nice rim, BTW. I have those on my Surly Long Haul Trucker. They
supported well over 300lbs of rider+bike+gear over three mountain
passes this summer, and stayed straight as an arrow.

On Aug 30, 7:09 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 30, 6:38 pm, Pilgrim <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I have a Shimano 7 Speed internal gear hub, which has a 36h, 127mm
> > flange. I'm lacing it to a Salsa Delgado 700c rim. What length of
> > spokes will I need?

> > Thanks,
> > Pilgrim

> According to Spocalc, for a 3-cross lacing pattern, 282.5 for the
> drive-side, and 283 for the non-drive side.
>
> Me, I'd do 282s all around. Better a mm too short (when you're
> engaging 10mm of thread) than to bottom out.
>
> Nice rim, BTW. I have those on my Surly Long Haul Trucker. They
> supported well over 300lbs of rider+bike+gear over three mountain
> passes this summer, and stayed straight as an arrow.

Oh, and neither I nor Damon Rinard take responsibility for the
accuracy of that measurement and/or calculation. :)

On Aug 30, 7:09 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 30, 6:38 pm, Pilgrim <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I have a Shimano 7 Speed internal gear hub, which has a 36h, 127mm
> > flange. I'm lacing it to a Salsa Delgado 700c rim. What length of
> > spokes will I need?

> > Thanks,
> > Pilgrim

> According to Spocalc, for a 3-cross lacing pattern, 282.5 for the
> drive-side, and 283 for the non-drive side.
>
> Me, I'd do 282s all around. Better a mm too short (when you're
> engaging 10mm of thread) than to bottom out.
>
> Nice rim, BTW. I have those on my Surly Long Haul Trucker. They
> supported well over 300lbs of rider+bike+gear over three mountain
> passes this summer, and stayed straight as an arrow.

Depending on whether the spokes being used are a flavor where the
spoke can extent past the top of the nipple at all or not, then 281
(280 if it's all that's available) for the drive side would be a safer
bet. Rim compression and spoke elongation routinely add up to more
than that .5mm margin would allow.

On Aug 30, 11:03 pm, Nate Knutson <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 30, 7:09 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 30, 6:38 pm, Pilgrim <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I have a Shimano 7 Speed internal gear hub, which has a 36h, 127mm
> > > flange. I'm lacing it to a Salsa Delgado 700c rim. What length of
> > > spokes will I need?

> > > Thanks,
> > > Pilgrim

> > According to Spocalc, for a 3-cross lacing pattern, 282.5 for the
> > drive-side, and 283 for the non-drive side.

> > Me, I'd do 282s all around. Better a mm too short (when you're
> > engaging 10mm of thread) than to bottom out.

> > Nice rim, BTW. I have those on my Surly Long Haul Trucker. They
> > supported well over 300lbs of rider+bike+gear over three mountain
> > passes this summer, and stayed straight as an arrow.

> Depending on whether the spokes being used are a flavor where the
> spoke can extent past the top of the nipple at all or not, then 281
> (280 if it's all that's available) for the drive side would be a safer
> bet. Rim compression and spoke elongation routinely add up to more
> than that .5mm margin would allow.

That's a bigger issue on a single-wall rim; fortunately, the Delgado
Cross the OP's using is a box-section, so if it does poke out, it
won't puncture the tube.

On Aug 31, 5:17 am, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 30, 11:03 pm, Nate Knutson <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > According to Spocalc, for a 3-cross lacing pattern, 282.5 for the
> > > drive-side, and 283 for the non-drive side.

> > > Me, I'd do 282s all around. Better a mm too short (when you're
> > > engaging 10mm of thread) than to bottom out.

> > > Nice rim, BTW. I have those on my Surly Long Haul Trucker. They
> > > supported well over 300lbs of rider+bike+gear over three mountain
> > > passes this summer, and stayed straight as an arrow.

> > Depending on whether the spokes being used are a flavor where the
> > spoke can extent past the top of the nipple at all or not, then 281
> > (280 if it's all that's available) for the drive side would be a safer
> > bet. Rim compression and spoke elongation routinely add up to more
> > than that .5mm margin would allow.

> That's a bigger issue on a single-wall rim; fortunately, the Delgado
> Cross the OP's using is a box-section, so if it does poke out, it
> won't puncture the tube.

many spoke/nipple brands don't allow for the spokes to extend past the
tops of the nipple at all. you run out of threads at that point and
will have to use different spokes. sapim and wheelsmith tend to be
like this.